Can I use a Mehano controller for a Hornby Locomotive.

Hi,

Recently my old but faithful Hornby controller gave up. It served me for 14 years. Anyway now it's gone and it'll be a while before I'll have anyone coming down from the UK with my replacement Hornby controller but I just wanted to know if I can use a Mehano one in the mean time.

OUTPUT DC 0-13V / 400mA Pn = 5,2 .

INPUT AC~ 16V / 500mA Pn = 8VA.

Now since I don't know exactly what that all means can someone let me know if its safe to use it with my Hornby locos? They say the Hornby locos draw 12V and the Mehano controller is 0-13V would this damage my loco? I don't think it would as I heard DCC supplies 15V constantly (though I'm on DC now). But I'm afraid to try.

HELP PLEASE!!!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Jeremiah.

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I just confirmed that my Mehano transformer has an OUTPUT of 16V. But when I used it with my Hornby 0-4-0 tank wagons the motor burnt out after a couple of hours of light running. My 0-4-0 is 14 years old is that the cause or is it the power?? That's why I'm scared to used my Class 60 now.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I just confirmed that my Mehano transformer has an OUTPUT of 16V. But when I used it with my Hornby 0-4-0 tank wagons the motor burnt out after a couple of hours of light running. My 0-4-0 is 14 years old is that the cause or is it the power?? That's why I'm scared to used my Class 60 now.

What are you using to power the Mehano controller? You should have something like this.

http://www.mehano.si/EN/toys.php?Id=82&idm=8&see=1

The black one being a specific power pack (transformer) for your location. Sorry, no idea if India uses 230Volts AC or 110Volts AC.

Hi Keith,

It must have been flying around like a headless chicken.

You say the output on the controller is 16V, is that AC or DC, this would be very odd indeed because most controllers have an input of 16V AC (from the transformer) and an output of 0-12V DC to the track/model, are you sure you connected the transformer to the correct terminals on the controller because if you connect your 16V AC to the wrong ones it will increase the voltage (to about 22V) and might still rectify it to DC (depending on how its done inside the controller) which will kill any motor.

The input voltage should always be markes as 16V (or whatever) because it is a fixed voltage* and also whether AC or DC.

The output should always be marked as 0-{whatever} V because it is a variable voltage and again whether AC or DC.

* they can be variable (such as 110-240v) but never 0-{whatever} as 0V cannot be transformed into anything.

It did'nt really fly. And its DC. Runs perfect with the mehano stock. Secondly there is only one terminal on the controller so I doubt I can connect it to the wrong terminal?? I've been in the hobby for 15 years I wouldn't do that... :nono: But yes I can say that compared to a Hornby controller these mehano versions provide more juice. To be more clear if I put both the Hornby tank and a mehano engine on the same track and turn the knob the Hornby model would be lil faster. :locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

It did'nt really fly. And its DC. Runs perfect with the mehano stock. Secondly there is only one terminal on the controller so I doubt I can connect it to the wrong terminal?? I've been in the hobby for 15 years I wouldn't do that... :nono: But yes I can say that compared to a Hornby controller these mehano versions provide more juice. To be more clear if I put both the Hornby tank and a mehano engine on the same track and turn the knob the Hornby model would be lil faster. :locomotive:

Increasingly it sounds like there was a problem with the Hornby 0-4-0, perhaps the mechanism was stiff. Are you sure the motor is cooked?

the Hornby model would be lil faster.

But Hornby 0-4-0T's always run too fast! Comparing your Hornby loco with a Mehano loco, which probably runs at a more realistic speed on 12-13 volts, does not say anything about the output voltage from the controller.

Also, the inexpensive controllers marketed by Hornby and others have poor regulation or no regulation. This means that the output voltage, although nominally 12 volts maximum, can be significantly higher under light loading (low current output). So the Hornby motors are built to withstand overvoltages of 15 volts or more. It is very unlikely that your loco was burnt out by 13 volts from the Mehano controller.

Like kevinlms, I am wondering whether the motor is really fried. Was there a burning smell and/or visible smoke when it stopped?

There wasn't any smoke or anything but when I sent it for repairs thats what I was told. Anyway even I think that it's a problem with my 0-4-0, it was 14 years old and being in India I found it hard to keep servicing. But it ran well so I'm happy. Lets see I will try my Class 60 with the Mehano controller (fingers crossed). But thanks for the help guys. Appreciate it! :angel: I still have my hopes because under DCC it's under 15V I guess?? And my mehano controller is rated for 13V so I'll take my chances.

Archived