Help require with GWR Hall

I am in the need for a lot of help with my next project. The photos show what I am starting with.

post-13601-0-45732300-1354819125_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-16266400-1354819143_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-94455900-1354819158_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-77983600-1354819178_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-45344000-1354819196_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-55403600-1354819214_thumb.jpg

Lets start by saying I am going to strip down and rebuild a ACME 7mm hall. It has a hawksworth tender from JM and a normal bogie, not the bar frame one.

The Questions are as follows.

1. What numbers am I looking at with this combination.

2. Or which ones had Hawksworth tenders.

3. Has any got the instructions they could let me have a copy of. ACME and JM.

4. Where am I going to find a drawing. For loco and tender.

5. Why the hell am I going to do this. I know it was cheap.

Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Premium

As I understand, tenders tended to get swapped about, especially in later BR days. I don't think there were batches of Halls paired with particular types of tender.

The Severn Valley's "Hagley Hall" has a Hawksworth tender - it might be worth checking the railway's website out, there are bound to be some photos of the loco.

Crickey!!!!!

Check out this link, there is a good line drawing of the Hall Class on one of the pages. Some tender drawings too are there.

www.pollymodelengineering.co.uk/.../practical-scale/.../

(Open the PDF file. Should be the 2nd listing down when they appear in your browser)

I could not figure any other way to pass this link to you, just copy and paste, it should be OK.

Regards Ken

Thanks for the replies so far.

Industrial.

I could rebuild the bogie fo the modified ones. But I would rather just know whether I can build it as it is with the hawksworth tender and which ones ran like this.

Colin

Thanks I will have a look.

Ken

I will have a look at that site. I am sure it will be of help

You all may have seen a lot of it has been built inside out so hopefully when stripped all the half etched rivet marks will be usable.

Is it possible to have a close up photo to see which bogie it has got on it as the running board is for the modified Hall which the tender was first built for.

Looks like it is due for a very heavy overhaul.

I hope these are of help to you.

post-13601-0-61537400-1354834648_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-59075100-1354834672_thumb.jpg

You are correct it is in for a heavy overhaul. It is sightly worse than I thought, But as it cost just over the cost of a new slaters motor which is in, I cant grumble too much.

Is it possible to have a close up photo to see which bogie it has got on it as the running board is for the modified Hall which the tender was first built for.

Looks like it is due for a very heavy overhaul.

I hope these are of help to you.

post-13601-0-61537400-1354834648_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-59075100-1354834672_thumb.jpg

You are correct it is in for a heavy overhaul. It is sightly worse than I thought, But as it cost just over the cost of a new slaters motor which is in, I cant grumble too much.

As industrial says, this is definitely a "Modified Hall" (6969 and up), as shown by the extensions of the main frames above the footplate at the front. Not sure what you mean by "normal bogie, not the bar frame one". Original Halls (4901 type) had bar frames, and Modified Halls had plate frames. Your model's bogie seems to have solid-looking frames which would be appropriate for a Modified Hall (although this is not quite clear in the photograph). As built, the Modified Halls, introduced in 1944, all had Hawksworth tenders although as noted above they did get swapped around with Collett tenders in service.

The previous owner who attempted to paint this model made a completely wrong choice of name and number, which may be a cause of the confusion.

Good luck with this project - it looks from here as though a total rebuild is called for!

......strip down and rebuild a ACME 7mm hall. It has a hawksworth tender from JM and a normal bogie, not the bar frame one.

You definitely have a Modified Hall, as others have said. The engine would give you 6959-6999, but not necessarily 7900-7929, as it does not have the footplate-mounted lubricators.

The Questions are as follows.

2. Or which ones had Hawksworth tenders.

That depends on whether you are replicating "in service" or "as preserved". If the latter, 6990, 6998 and 7903 have all run with a Hawksworth tender. I think 6960 (the sole surviving GW-built example; all the other survivors were completed after nationalisation) has run mostly with a Collett 4000gal tender.

5. Why the hell am I going to do this. I know it was cheap.

Was it actually like this when it went into the postal system? Or did the Brazilian post contribute to it?

You definitely have a Modified Hall, as others have said. The engine would give you 6959-6999, but not necessarily 7900-7929, as it does not have the footplate-mounted lubricators.

That depends on whether you are replicating "in service" or "as preserved". If the latter, 6990, 6998 and 7903 have all run with a Hawksworth tender. I think 6960 (the sole surviving GW-built example; all the other survivors were completed after nationalisation) has run mostly with a Collett 4000gal tender.

Was it actually like this when it went into the postal system? Or did the Brazilian post contribute to it?

I actually bought it like this. The Brazilian postal service Just used it as a pillow for a while. As I said above it was cheap, a bargain. I would be on a profit selling the wheels and motor.

Some people seem to like this sort of thing that eminates fro the GWR, so when stripped down I will see what I need and get it made and sold.

It has to be easier than the West Country I am just finishing.

• RMweb Gold

Something of a bitsa isn't it. Bitsa 'Modified Hall' with a representation of the plate frame bogie, extended plate frames, and slightly higher steampipe entry into the smokebox. Bitsa lever reverse engine with the low reversing rod instead of the angled one fitted on all the 'Halls' as they had screw reverse. And bitsa over-enthusiasm with two lubricator pipe covers between boiler and smokebox and neither of them the right shape or in the right place.

So whichever way it goes next it's going to need a fair bit of work.

Yes it is a bit of a dog. I can now start looking at what needs to be done. But will only know for sure when I have it back to a kit of parts pile of scrap brass.

I expect I will be looking for help with this one all through the build.

Instructions for the ACME kit would be really helpful.

....Drawings might be in an old RM but can't remember also in the instructions for the old Gateneal kit which I most likely still have somewhere......

.....Yes there are drawings with the Gateneal instructions.......

Gateneal also produced "Modified Hall" etchings shot down to 4mm scale for Falcon Brass. Not particularly well done, either. Having had a look at my copy of the Falcon instructions for it, I wonder if these are directly reproduced from the Gateneal drawings because, if so, then they are themselves derived from the F.J Roche drawing which has errors!

Archived