Back Scene Panel Height for N Gauge?

c2c

Working on a new project, but can't make my mind up on what height to make the back scene panel. I realise there is no specific measurement for this but just wondered what other modelers prefer.

The scene will involve a road bridge crossing the lines so that should in theory dictate what is required, I have already cut some ply to the height of A4 paper width (8.3") but even that seems to large.

Trouble is I can guess what the outcome will be .......I'll end up buyiing more ply!

I have built a twin deck set up in my shed, the upper will be for Japanese and the lower for US stock. I left about 12" between them and will hope to fill that completely with a backscene of sorts. The upper deck will probably have something about the same height 10 -12"

Much will depend if you are going to have any tall structures on the layout e.g. factory chmneys, high rise flats or office blocks etc

The backscene on my N gauge layout is 4" and it really is not high enough. At the time is was necessary as the layout was designed to be tucked under a particular piece of furniture when not in use. Commercial backscenes aimed at N gauge are often 9" high and this is probably a sensible value although it will depend on other factors such as the width of your layout.

Hi

I went for 9" on mine as 12" looked wrong but then my boards are at most 14" wide.

Cheers

Paul

The reason I went for 8.3" was so that I could print off A4 pictures, so i guess if 4" is too short and you have opted for 9" I must have the right height.

Like you I have narrow boards as I'm building a modular layout, and it does look odd having a high back ground board, however I guess once the back scene is completed then things will be different.

• RMweb Premium

What does your backscene represent? Something to put half-relief buildings against or something to give an impression of depth to a restricted depth model?

In my case I want it to obscure other things in my field of view so my eye is taken to the model rather than the 12" to the foot surroundings. I don't think it can be too high after all how high is the sky?

Cheers

Dave

What does your backscene represent? Something to put half-relief buildings against or something to give an impression of depth to a restricted depth model?

In my case I want it to obscure other things in my field of view so my eye is taken to the model rather than the 12" to the foot surroundings. I don't think it can be too high after all how high is the sky?

Cheers

Dave

Good question, the back scene I want to make has one of those concrete and brick type road bridge going over the lines at an angle to the back board, where it will have a road and buildings.

I've been scouring google images for ages too, but not come across anything to help me!

• RMweb Gold

This is my N-Gauge layout (Wrexham & Cromer layout from the Peco Setrack plans book number 29)

It's approx 1m long and 250mm wide.

The Back Scene panel height is 6inches or 150mm.

post-6745-0-03200200-1355244219_thumb.jpg

post-6745-0-81469100-1355244223_thumb.jpg

post-6745-0-06493500-1355244214_thumb.jpg

The building just hidden by the trees on the left hand side is the Scalescenes medium station building.

post-6745-0-24593400-1355244221_thumb.jpg

Hopefully this will give you a good few angles to see if it's too small or not.

Cheers

Ian

EDIT:- just found this one( I did start a layout thread, although forgot so should really have linked to it.....DOH!)

post-6745-0-32864200-1355245099.jpg

This probably gives a better view of the backscene and the height of it.

The layout thread is HERE

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

My backscene is 6' from baseboard height, although owing to changes in scenery levels, it ranges from 6' down to 4', mainly to protect a tree line at that point. Perhaps 6' is a little low; however I needed to weigh up the visual effect with practicality, as well as being a handy size for the backscene, which is printed on landscape A4 sheets.

At 6' the backscene on my small Japanese layout gives some height over the town...

post-6831-0-62280500-1355246086.jpg

Moving further along, the trees start to be used to blend the scene into the layout, as well as to try to disguise the fact the backscene has less visual height.

post-6831-0-03020400-1355246170.jpg

Behind the yard, the backscene is merely in place to protect the trees from being knocked by the operators...

post-6831-0-19253900-1355246375.jpg

Don't forget to factor in a couple of inches to screw/bolt it to the back of your layout base subframe, so you then want to add whatever inches above (I believe some have mentioned 9" for commercial printed backscenes) your lowest point of scenery that you want the backscene to show behind.

I made that mistake once of measuring from the top down rather than bottom up, only to realise that I had 6" of a one inch gap between the top of the scenery and bottom of the backscene. It wasn't a big deal as I simply added another level of polystyrene, shaped to match the profile and put a hedge on top.

I have a vague idea of seeing a recommendation in the dim and distant past that the backscene height should be roughly equal to the layout width.

I think it certainly should depend on the distance you normally stand from it - the further away (i.e. the wider the layout) the more of the backscene will come into view.

Archived