What does 'X,Y,Z etc' font look like?

I know the sort of font I want......I know how to resize it, print it etc but where or how can I simply open a screen to see the shape of all the MS fonts on my 'pooter without opening 'Snotspankers Ultra Bold San Serif Condensed' then 'Treehumper Wagpole' and 'Verdana Cheesegrater Upright' etc etc only to find they are not what I want. I started an hour ago and I'm close to screaming.....

MS Fontmap is wonderful, I'm sure IF YOU KNOW THE NAME OF THE RUDDY FONT YOU WANT TO Mess about with....sorry, close to a sob..

This is the sort of thing I want, an old fashioned 1920s-type thing [no pun intended] not exactly, just near enough but must look old and the sort of thing painted on a wall/sign by hand.

post-106-0-63791700-1355846492.jpg

Cheerless Chubber

Have you tried Character Map (Accessories/System Tools)? That might help.

Thank you for your prompt response, as I said above, C.M. give you all the possible permutations, serifs, squirls etc that are available for each font, if you know the font you want to use or mess about with.

What I'm after is a page/pages with all the fonts displayed like

....Arial.............to

....Georgia........to

...Trebuchet......to

.....Verdana.....etc

a sort of font browser.

Doug

I had a similar problem with the number of different fonts used on the Swedish Railways particularly the "Special Characters" within the font sets, so I set up an Excel Spreadsheet.

I set up one column as a bog standard generic font (Arial) = A-Z, a-z, 0-9, Characters and then copy and past this across the sheet assigning each column a different font.

post-6957-0-34528900-1355850066_thumb.jpg

There's thousands of typefaces!!!The nearest I've seen to the Great Western typeface is "Egyptian Bold",its near relations were still used for letterpress printed posters off wooden type well into the fifties. Some shops,cinemas etc used"Broadway"in the twenties for their signwriting and it is characteristic of that era.

Hullo!

Thank you all for your help, I've downloaded Shortliner's suggested site, and find AMP Fontviewer very useful, it allows you to see numerous fonts side by side and helps you download font files too.

Kameron [an Egyptian font] and Bookman Old Style Bold seem the closest so far.

In downloading from some font sites I had my homepage taken over by 'Softbit' and and several extensions installed without my asking and took some time to get rid of them. They used the simple method of a double negative 'Click here if you don't want 'XXXX' not be loaded' or some such. So, RFI....

Doug

Edited to say thank you for the MS Word drop-downs hints, what it doesn't do is display the fonts alongside other fonts of differing names so as to be able to make comparisons.

On Windows XP onwards if you go to the Fonts control panel item, then if you double click a font icon it will show a window with a preview of that font, you can open more than one preview window at once if required.

Its just another option that does not require any more software than actual windoze...

Archived