The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Gerry Anderson RIP

newbryford

• RMweb Gold

What a shame he had gone downhill in that way first - a clever man and yet another sad loss.

He masterminded my young years TV for which I'm extremely grateful.An absolute legend.An overused word used in todays world but very apt in this case.

Alas Thunderbirds are no longer 'GO' A sad loss indeed.

Sad to hear of his demise. My first TV memories were of his creation - Fireball XL5.

What's spooky for me right now is that I've just come back to RMWeb to look at new posts after looking at some Thunderbirds clips on YouTube, and an interview with him back in the 1960s.

Gerry will be sadly missed, but his creations will live on forever. RIP..........FAB...SIG...UFO  

I'm old enough to remember Supercar. All else followed from that but my favourite was and always will be Thunderbirds. Many, many thanks for a childhood that would have been a lot less exciting without his creations.

I'm still a youngster, but I'll never forget waking up at 6:00 on a Saturday morning every week to watch those brave men from IR take on the Hood and other various baddies whilst just escaping from mortal peril in the nick of time. FAB, Gerry.

When reality and fiction blur! The original showings of Thunderbirds coincided with the American Mercury and Apollo programs so one minute you had IR rockets etc. saving the world and then Patrick Moore discussing what US and Russian rockets were achieving!

• RMweb Gold

That's a really sad loss. But he leaves a rich and varied legacy that'll continue to be enjoyed by young and not so young for years to come.

Rather than RIP Gerry, I'll say FAB Gerry.

• RMweb Gold

I loved watching Thunderbirds, Stingray & Captain Scarlett and was always in awe at the standard of the models used for the programs. I think a lot of what I saw on the screen in these programs is what inspired me to try for greater realism in my own modelling! I was also lucky enough to attend one of the evening lectures he performed during the early 90's which was truly fascinating.

RIP Gerry, Spectrum is Green.

I met him in 2010 and was lucky to spend about an hour with him showing him round a model display room at a convention and talking all things Thunderbirds.

you could tell he was getting on a bit but he had a great sense of humor, when talking about models built from scratch he said "I always wondered what is this scratch?"

post-27-0-32753100-1356548076.jpg

he had a great team around him which he built up and he would stress, such as Derek Meddings and Barry Gray,

I loved his influences such as the fast paced intro's which where his idea.

Many an afternoon of mine was spent watching Thunderbirds, I loved the actual machines, but Fireflash was my favorite, it sparked my interest in supersonic transport, there still is nothing that resembles the shape of it, the whole show just captured the optimism and hope for the future of that generation. I was also a great fan of Stingray. I can't put it into words adequately enough, but a big part of my Childhood has slipped away.

Some music for the occasion.  

• RMweb Gold

Farewell Gerry

Thank you for the fantastic entertainment you gave to kids of my generation - and subsequent ones too!

Who could forget - Pit of Peril - Hep Cat - Space Monster.

Reusing models was a great idea - canny how the Loch Ness Monster looked like the latter.

And remember - anything could happen in the next half hour!

Phil

Archived