Remarkable Event in the USA!

trisonic

So I walk into Barnes & Noble in Clark, NJ today and pick up $50.00 worth of British Mags.

Checking the date the Model Rail magazine is January 2013, all the rest are November 2012.

I think I can safely say that this is the first time I have purchased a British magazine in the USA prior to the date on the publication.......

Thank you. We pay through the nose for these mags (compared to UK punters) so it is nice to read one in a somewhat timely manner.

Best, Pete.

Guest Belgian

Pete,

I'm delighted for you, but cover dates on British magazines are totally misleading: I saw the February 2013 copy of MR on sale in by local convenience store yesterday - the first time I've seen one two months ahead of its cover date . . .

Happy New Year!

JE

Ken - No they are stocked alongside: RM, Railway Express, Railway Magazine, Back Track er, the one on Steam which I can never remember. Quire a few really. Have never seen BRM, unfortunately...

JE - Yes I understand that but nevertheless Model Rail is still several months ahead of the other titles.       Belgium is a bit closer to the UK than I am.

Best, Pete.

Nice to hear! Magazines go through quite a few hands to reach newsagent stores in far off lands so it is good to see one arrive in timely fashion. I'm afraid that on all too many occasions I've gone into stores in Canada and been unable to find copies of 'our' magazines. Hopefully it's because there's lots of British-outline modellers and the mags have sold out! (Uncharacteristic Christmas optimism!!)

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

Pete:

I found the December RMC in a Hobby Shop today.

Chris:

I've mentioned in the past when I've found British magazines in American stores.

I managed to get one magazine into our local chain store. I asked for one and the clerk ordered 3! and it looks as if they now get 5. But this is the closest book store to the Great british Train Show. (snigger).

I went into an new store from a chain that was expanding from western Canada and found a wonderful collection of British magazines. I complimented the clerk on it and she said that she'd consulted with her father on it (forget to ask who he was). That chain has now withdrawn from Toronto.

Magazine selection seems erratic. I know a few stores that carry MRJ and make 30-40 mile drives to get it.

Ken, Try talking to the manager. The Brit mags are very popular at the Clark, NJ store. Maybe he can talk to the management there?

I've never seen MRJ in the New York area = probably because the Clipper ships don't stop here anymore :)

Best, Pete.

So I walk into Barnes & Noble in Clark, NJ today and pick up $50.00 worth of British Mags.

Checking the date the Model Rail magazine is January 2013, all the rest are November 2012.

I think I can safely say that this is the first time I have purchased a British magazine in the USA prior to the date on the publication.......

Thank you. We pay through the nose for these mags (compared to UK punters) so it is nice to read one in a somewhat timely manner.

Best, Pete.

on thursday 27th dec i picked up Model rail Feb 2013 model rail has 13 mag's a year

Sorry, I don't understand your point - you're in the UK aren't you? Am I right in thinking that you believe the February 2013 edition is really part of 2012?

How do you explain that all the other mags from the UK in the USA are dated November 2012 editions?

Look at it this way, next month at the end of January, I'll be picking up MR's February 2013 edition and all the rest will still be December's 2012 editions.

Best, Pete.

In post No. 7 under Model Rail 178, I did explain this. To remain somewhere near in synch, the 13th issue of 2012 should have been called 'Christmas' but Christmas issues don't sell well and sales of anything marked Christmas drop off a cliff the moment Christmas is over. That's not something we want to happen, so the one which might have been 'Christmas' became January and the one which should have been January has become February. It will come right in the end because, I believe, the one after March will be 'Spring'. It's all my fault because I wanted to keep the 'month' on the cover. Most mags which publish 13 a year don't have the month and simply have an issue number and an on-sale period. I thought that railway modellers, generally being of a conservative (small c) disposition would not like that. Now, back to my layout....

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

In post No. 7 under Model Rail 178, I did explain this. To remain somewhere near in synch, the 13th issue of 2012 should have been called 'Christmas' but Christmas issues don't sell well and sales of anything marked Christmas drop off a cliff the moment Christmas is over. That's not something we want to happen, so the one which might have been 'Christmas' became January and the one which should have been January has become February. It will come right in the end because, I believe, the one after March will be 'Spring'. It's all my fault because I wanted to keep the 'month' on the cover. Most mags which publish 13 a year don't have the month and simply have an issue number and an on-sale period. I thought that railway modellers, generally being of a conservative (small c) disposition would not like that. Now, back to my layout....

CHRIS LEIGH

When I enter such magazines in my database, I number the months 01-12. The purpose of numbering the months, is so that they correctly sort, instead of April, August, December etc.

If like Model Rail, I call any 13th magazine 06a or wherever it slots in, so in this instance the 'Spring' one (Autumn here in OZ, just to make it difficult), will be 03a and so when sorted will be in its correct location. Complicated, but there is a solution. Much easier though, if there are only 12 issues.

Out here, unfortunately, Britannia Models are no longer going to be carrying any magazines- but MRJ is available at 3 (!) local bookstores, in the form of Bolen and Munro's books, and Chapters.  The bad part is that I !@@!#! can't get out of any of them without spending more than just the cover cost.  (there's always some other book I'd like...kind of like models)

Chris, way back 25 years ago when you edited MRC, my copies came through University of Toronto Bookstore :)

James

Archived