The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Please watch ...... and count your blessings that you can

shortliner

I'm probably just a cynical old git when I see such things, the message is good and just but the edge is taken off when I see that the only reason the message exists is because there's a commercial incentive for it to be - in this case selling the creative skills of a web agency. Maybe it's just the old-in-the-tooth salesman in me, also I note that the creative talent in the story facilitates greater income but didn't dig into her own pocket. 

Maybe I've just run out of Christmas cheer. ;)

• RMweb Gold

I'm ambigious. I liked the build-up which was expertly done. But then I thought it was a bit condescending. I'm sure blind people are able to enjoy a beautiful day? And even if they can't, I don't like the message that we should help people out of pity. Much better to help them out of respect.

Yep. Definitely gone viral.  Made me want to puke!

You are lucky that you can watch these things and come to that conclusion, others are not so lucky.

I like the Stationmaster didnt watch it past the different words and thought it very thought provoking up to that point, surely the important bit is the meaning of it and not the reason for the advert?.

• RMweb Gold

I must be wired up differently from other people. The angle I saw was that  the new message made him appear sorry for himself and self pitying. His original message was simple and honest - I'm blind, I could do with a bit of help please. The new message was - being blind has ruined my life, please feel sorry for me.

I do take on board the ad agency angle, but I think that things produced with profit as motivation can still be thought-provoking.

Ad agencies are a strange animal really aren't they - often providing better entertainment than people whose job it is to provide entertainment, and producing very hard-hitting messages for organisations who would struggle to communicate without their help. It's also a bit hit-and-miss for the customer. Picture two marketing eexcs for two large insurenace comparison sites. Both go in good faith to large ad agencies and probably pay similarly large sums of money. One gets a long running series of genius adverts involving meercat puppets, with spin offs in cuddly toy giveaways. The other gets an annoying cartoon bint in a stripey jumper who cant sing. Go figure!

• RMweb Gold

You are lucky that you can watch these things and come to that conclusion, others are not so lucky.

I like the Stationmaster didnt watch it past the different words and thought it very thought provoking up to that point, surely the important bit is the meaning of it and not the reason for the advert?.

Interesting conclusion there RO but to be honest I was more intrigued than anything else about what she had written - once that was answered I cleared the pop-up and didn't even bother to wonder why she had altered it or even to watch any further to see if there was a hint as to why.  I wasn't in the least curious on that point although obviously the video was a commercial product but I had no interest in finding out whose or why they had made i so in that respect it was a dismal failure.

There's no luck involved. It's a very cynical advert by a commercial company to promote their own services (presuming it is a bona fide advert made by the company). If you choose not to see that, that is your prerogative. I don't see the company telling us how they are supporting blind people. 

And no, it's not ok to hijack noble sentiments regardless of who the sponsor is or whatever their views. I can still voice displeasure or disgust as you can voice your opinion.

• RMweb Gold

This video is not about compassion for blind people or a call to count our blessings.

It's a self-promotion by a web design company showing how they can cleverly manipulate a viewer's feelings and responses by the use of emotional words. "Use our services and we can get people to chuck money at you, too."

It's tasteless and unpleasant to exploit disabled people for such ends, and quite likely in contravention of the ASA Code of Advertising Practice.

Martin.

Windows 7 and Google Chrome, I get the music background but no picture / video.

Hovering mouse over a link I now get a (static) thumbnail of the content. Is this a new feature of the board's recent update? or due to W7 and/or Google?

Archived