Removing Bachmann lettering, 4MT

I have a photo of my father (who passed away in Nov 2012) as a fireman at Salisbury standing in front of 4MT 76008 and I would like to model the loco as nearly as I can. Bachmann used to make 76020 (which some dealers still have in stock), which has the correct BR2 tender, so that is a good starting point.

Bachmann's 76020 has the early crest, so I need to remove the crests and the number and replace them.

Questions:

1. Does anyone have experience of what will lift the lettering without damaging the paint beneath?
  2. Who makes suitable replacement lettering?
  3. Does anyone know the depot allocation for 76008? It looks like 71A but it is a little fuzzy and I cannot seem to find it on the web anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

Removal of the lettering & crests should be a doddle using 'Micro-Sol' decal softener. Dip the tip of a tooth-pick or cocktail stick in the solution, & rub away at the unwanted decoration, keeping the area wet. You'll soon see the unwanted markings start to disappear. Dab clean with tissue, & you'll have a blank, slightly shiny patch, ready to accept new decals from Fox, Modelmaster or HMRS 'pressfix'.

• RMweb Gold

76008 went new to Eastleigh (71A) in February 1953, but was transferred to Salisbury (72B) in June 1955.  It finally went to Bournemouth in April 1967 before being withdrawn the following month.

All this type of information is available online on the BR locomotive database - http://www.brdatabase.info/index.php

HTH

RFS's code for Salisbury had me puzzled (Could Ian Allan have been wrong!), but that database explains it was 72B from 1948 to December 1962 and 70E from December 1962 to July 1967. Hopefully, John, you'll have an idea of when the photo was taken.

Best wishes

Guest 40-something

I use T-Cut to remove Bachmann printing, works a treat and leaves the surface ready the new decals.  The decals I use are either HMRS, Fox or Modelmaster

OK, so although I cannot clearly make out the shed code plate, the last letter defintely looks to be an "A", so I'd stake money on it being 71A (Eastleigh).

I have uploaded the image to one of my servers if you want to have a look: http://www.worldrailfans.info/images/Peter_at_Milford_Goods%20-%20grayscale.jpg It was taken at Salisbury's Milford Goods sidings, but I am not sure exactly when, and as he passed away in Nov 2012 so it is too late to ask.

My Father started at Salisbury as a cleaner in 1949 but moved to Norwood in 1962 when he passed out as a driver. (This was a temporary move as he was waiting for a position at Redhill where my parents had just bought an ex-railway house. He was at Norwood about 18 months.)

So a photo at Salisbury could've been taken anywhen from say 1951 (2 years as a cleaner??) and '62 when he moved. Now if 76008 was re-allocated to Salisbury (72B) in June 1955, this narrows it down to '51-'55; and I doubt I'll ever be able to get any closer.

So, next question. Would 76008 have had an early or late BR crest during '51-'55?

Many thanks,

John

Photoshop helps a little and I'd say it was either 71A or 74A... and as 74A is Brighton, I'd also say you're right to stake your money on 71A Eastleigh.

A photo here, taken 21 March 1953 at Eastleigh, has the engine with an early emblem on it's tender

http://www.colourrail.com/Category1.aspx?r1=10372

Nearly there John??!!

Archived