Junction Jack. modern cornish mainline in 2mm

Jack00

Hello RMweb...

i'm back, i had lost the love for a breif spell, after declaring all but one of my projects scrapped. i have no layouts left now except "somewhere along the Newquay Branch" will will be exhibited in August '13

I needed a change and a rest from 00 as i've lost interest in 00 completely!! Clemens Road T&RSMD has been stripped to the bare baseboard to allow my new project "Junction Jack" to be built.

it has a relativley complex trackplan, which includes: double mainline, branchline junction, fuel road, 2 sidings and crossovers to gain access to yard are/branch.

total scenic size is 8ft x 1ft with backscene around 6ins.

post-13209-0-70211300-1356968801_thumb.jpg

post-13209-0-18415000-1356968805_thumb.jpg

As you can see from the pictures, there is ample amounts of space for full set HST's. The era will be current (FGW 153, 150's HST's) to about 2000ish, to allow RES's with 67's and wessex 158's and Virgin Voygers.

But for now its just the 153 / 150 / 67's / 66 and NR 31. but thats plenty for now.

Eventually the Fiddle yards will be around the back of the layout for a continuos run of the trains. then trains entering, exiting the branch on a seperate loop round the back but bottle neck's on the scenic side controlled by a signal.

i have put alot of effort into the trackplan, physically and also designing on the laptop, it opens up shunting potential in the yard, but with the trains rushing past on the mainline. im very excited about this project and its so nice to get my teeth sunk in again. as i've mentioned before N has be the one for me :)

I'll post up some more detailed shots in a min.

thanks, any feedback welcome.

Jack

Guest 838rapid

Positive start there.

Have to say I like your track layout marking out idea.

It might give me the proverbial kick up the pants to get on with my O layout.

Looks similar to Par-any coincidence?

Question. On the plan drawn in the top photo there is no direct access from the loop platform to the branch. On the masking tape it appears that there is this direct access plus a second access from the main line.

Can I suggest that, instead of the second access from the main line, you put a siding from the branch/loop between the main and branch lines to hold the branch dmu as at, er, Par?

Looking good and it has always been my favourite station.

Ed

Hi Ed.

its a complete coincidence to be honest, there will be no platform, just the mainline, yard, and junction for the branchline.

The branch train on the up journey would have to crossover on the yard crossing from the mainline, make its way on the down line before being diverted up the branch. as apose to going through the fueling point. but trains heading down the branch onto the mainline would only hold up with the down, rather than an up branch working holding up trains in both directions. (so the down branch can run and the up main can still run with no stopping.) if that makes sence.

The branch freight joining the mainline would wait in the loop to allow passnger services to pass.

Thanks

Jack.

As I worked all over Christmas I have a couple of days to myself this week, and whole of weekend coming up so I can concentrate on laying the track, not too worried about rushing the scenics as I normally do, as long as the track plan is down and working smoothy I'll be a happy chap.

With the track down, I can get the trunking and lines side aquipment down, plus the signals. First time I've ever planned to have a sigaling system...plus a feather on the up main for the branch access.

But that'll be in the near future.

Thanks.

Jack.

Edit: happy new year to everyone. Hope 2013 makes all your ambitions a step closer :-)

TRACK LAYING:

The mistake i've made in the past is rush to get trains running, but this time, my thoughts are to have very detailed track and trackbed, so concentrating on getting a smooth and de-railment free layout is priority...using code 55 track and long to medium turnout points it should 'flow' alot better than previous efforts.

once the track is in position, it will be pinned down. once this is finished, trunking will be added, and point motors, also the peco dummy motors for extra detail. orange pipes between the sleepers and bottoms of the rail which leed to the signals and AWS / TPWS boxes. once the track is weathered accordingly, the ballest (fine grey) will be applied.

post-13209-0-31601100-1357066491.jpg

The diffecult task for me is to have motorised points... sounds like a big headache to me but research and RMweb help should restore some faith...

thanks for looking and any feedback welcome.

Jack.

Evening...

been upto trouble today, tweaked the plan slightly but im very happy i have sorted out a trackplan, its smooth and flowing yet simple!

Doube mainline, with a crossover and branchline. using code 55 peco flexi track, code 55 medium radius peco points, all loco's / DMU's / wagons tested and they all glide over the points at various speeds. so once i knew everything ran ok i pinned the track down and started work on the tunnels, using polysterien and peco tunnel mouths...

post-13209-0-39886100-1357151658_thumb.jpg

post-13209-0-14186400-1357151663_thumb.jpg

post-13209-0-67146700-1357151666_thumb.jpg

post-13209-0-72945500-1357151670_thumb.jpg

post-13209-0-47652000-1357151681_thumb.jpg

post-13209-0-63395600-1357151686_thumb.jpg

Thats all for now, while the glue dries on the tunnels. been detailing the GUVs as you may just be able to work out in the poor pictures.

Thanks

Jack.

hi jack

great start iv always been the same in wanting to get trains running as soon as possible haha.

but taking your time and being petient really does pay off in the long run as i have found out with stuarts lane :)

keep up the good work and keep us all updated of your progress

stuart

haha, glad i'm not the only one Stuart  :no:

yeah i'm going to take my time on this one aslong as there's trains to keep me occupied scenics won't be rushed lol.

Thanks, will keep it updated.

Jack.

looking good I hope you enjoy this one.

Thanks Richard

all the best.

Jack

I know what you mean jack I got Stuart's lane out with every intention of doing some work but I couldn't resist having a 66 and 60 going round the main line with POAs lol.

Can't wait to see your progress on this

Stuart

Hopefully I'll get some work done at the weekend.

I still can't beleive how small N is! But I prefer it so much better than 00

Like Stuarts lane, Compact but full length trains aren't an issue. HST's are top of my list.

Jack.

I know what you mean jack I got Stuart's lane out with every intention of doing some work but I couldn't resist having a 66 and 60 going round the main line with POAs lol.

Can't wait to see your progress on this

Stuart

I like the look of this a lot. Like you say it really shows the benefit of N - full length HSTs in a sensible space. Another advantage is that you can get a 180 degree curve easily in 2foot wide so your baseboards don't have to be huge to fit a (hidden) continuous run in.

I know what you mean about taking your time, I usually rush to get the track down, then spend months ripping it up and replacing it! And I've also learnt the hard way how much better medium and large radius points look. Its actually far better to use fewer bigger points than try to squeeze every last siding etc in.

Don't worry about the point motors too much, but do think about it before you stick too much track down. Peco point motors are very simple to use, even in N gauge. The easiest way to fit them is simply to clip them to the underneath of the point. You have to cut a hole in the baseboard (about 40mm x 20mm) but easy to disguise with a card former. The neater way is to use the extended pin ones, mounted underneath. You can get a pack of mounts which clip to the motor to then screw underneath the baseboard. Simply mark where the tie-bar connection is and drill a 9mm hole through the baseboard. Then turn the baseboard over and with a bit of trial and error work out where the motor needs to go so the pin moves smoothly. Trick is to make sure its a 90degrees to the track. Then mark the holes, make some pilot holes and screw the motor and mount to the woodwork.

And the wiring it actually pretty simple when you look at it........

I like the look of this a lot. Like you say it really shows the benefit of N - full length HSTs in a sensible space. Another advantage is that you can get a 180 degree curve easily in 2foot wide so your baseboards don't have to be huge to fit a (hidden) continuous run in.

I know what you mean about taking your time, I usually rush to get the track down, then spend months ripping it up and replacing it! And I've also learnt the hard way how much better medium and large radius points look. Its actually far better to use fewer bigger points than try to squeeze every last siding etc in.

Don't worry about the point motors too much, but do think about it before you stick too much track down. Peco point motors are very simple to use, even in N gauge. The easiest way to fit them is simply to clip them to the underneath of the point. You have to cut a hole in the baseboard (about 40mm x 20mm) but easy to disguise with a card former. The neater way is to use the extended pin ones, mounted underneath.

You can get a pack of mounts which clip to the motor to then screw underneath the baseboard. Simply mark where the tie-bar connection is and drill a 9mm hole through the baseboard. Then turn the baseboard over and with a bit of trial and error work out where the motor needs

to go so the pin moves smoothly. Trick is to make sure its a 90degrees to the track. Then mark the holes, make some pilot holes and screw the motor and mount to the woodwork.

And the wiring it actually pretty simple when you look at it........

Thanks TomJ

That's a very detailed account about the point motors, appreciate it!

I will get some motors and see what I can achieve fingers crossed it will work.

Yeah your totally right about medium/large radius points they make a heck of a difference.

Thanks again.

Gloucester Road & BenA - thanks for the encouraging words.

Jack.

Hi Jack, looking forward to watching progress on this layout. Like the idea of using masking tape as track plan.

I am planning my garage layout in n gauge on three base boards that are 1 ft by 5 ft each. As I am new to modelling I expect progress will be slow. Still gives me the chance to get inspiration from yours.

Alan

Stuart, at the minute the fiddle yards are big enough for a 150 and 153 together. Don't know the exact measurement.

But eventually it will be a continuous run so an additional 2ftx8ft.

Alan- thanks for the comment...thats a big project you have in the pipe line. Any questions I'm happy to help or PM me.

Thanks

Jack.

Archived