Former A1 4mm brass kits for the Trestrol and other steel carrying wagons

Mornin' all,

Did you know that the superstructure kits for various steel carrying wagons are available from 'The Old Time Workshop'

http://www.oldtimeworkshop.co.uk/

I've just received 3 of the Trestrol kits and ordered bogies for them from Cambrian kits.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Jon,

I expect to bin most of the etched fittings anyway. Ambis, Dave Franks, Ultrascale, Archer etc should be able to supply all that is needed to make a real job of these superstructure kits.

I'll be mounting an appropriately thinned Cambrian side frame onto each side of my own brass, sprung bogie design so that I can use bogie mounts similar to the prototype.

Cheers

Dave  

One of the ex-A1 Dolphins made a guest appearance on Waterloo Street recently.

post-6795-0-03948700-1357416371_thumb.jpg

It does look good, but if it were mine then I would also substitute some of the fittings. Apologies for the dodgy iPad photo - it looks sharper in real life :)

There was a write up of the Trestrol kit in Modelling Railways Illustrated back in the day. That gives an idea of the major dimensional problems with the kit, together with the extra detailing involved. That being said, there's one in my 'to do' pile...

Thanks James,

I was hoping that the key dimensions might be the one thing that I could rely on....looks like even more work than was planned...oh well!

BR Wagons volume 1 has some useful dimensions too and this excellent book has fine, well dimensioned 4mm scale drawings of many wagon types, including

the Trestrol. I hear the scary story re the inaccuracy of the major dimensions of this kit, however, when first placing the side etches over the drawings there is nothing 'unfixable' to be seen, the angle of the floor to end sections looking to be the biggest issue and the overall length appears slightly excessive. Much of the rivet detail looks inaccurate too and there are more key parts to check.

Compared with the amount of hours required to transform the 51L ex ironstone hopper kit I'm not too worried about this one.

Cheers

Dave

Archived