Lowmacs and Donelli PD350s

Hi all

Since its a new year I fancy a little modelling project. Now I have always liked the maintainence machines on the rail network so i decided to have a go at making some in oo. As I have a couple of Hornby lowmac wagons that I picked up nice and cheap, the obvious choice was the single line track machines the Donelli PD350s. Yes I have seen on other layouts lowmacs with JCBs, skips etc but not a Donellli. So now onto the research. I have some photos from the net and in a couple of books however what would be nice is some scale drawings. Basically any other information about them to aid the project and even if someone out there has already built them.

PD350_1.jpg

Many thanks

Kenneth

Hi all

Since its a new year I fancy a little modelling project. Now I have always liked the maintainence machines on the rail network so i decided to have a go at making some in oo. As I have a couple of Hornby lowmac wagons that I picked up nice and cheap, the obvious choice was the single line track machines the Donelli PD350s. Yes I have seen on other layouts lowmacs with JCBs, skips etc but not a Donellli. So now onto the research. I have some photos from the net and in a couple of books however what would be nice is some scale drawings. Basically any other information about them to aid the project and even if someone out there has already built them.

PD350_1.jpg

Many thanks

Kenneth

Are these the same things that Hywel Thomas has been modelling? Have a look under 'Morfa Bank' on this link:-

http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/modelpageindex.html

what do they do?

They lay track; unlike other methods of relaying, where one uses cranes on one track to lay panels of track on an adjacent track, the Donelli lay panels on the single line in front of them. A pair of service rails are laid outside the sleeper ends of the track to be renewed for the Donelli to shuttle back and forth on, then the gantries shuttle back and forth, removing old panels and replacing them with new. I suspect they've all gone now, being replaced by road-rail excavators or other technology.

Archived