Mk 1 Inter city executive coaches

spiket4

Hi all

My Girlfriend has just brought me 2 Bachmann coaches for Christmas.

I'm looking for information on what region these were used and which locos pulled them.

I have only seen the white roofed charter coaches not the ones I have.

Many thanks 

Mark

• RMweb Premium

What type are they? Mk1 buffets were running until very late on. Indeed I'm pretty sure at least one was still going in the Anglia franchise in the early noughties. And i think some lasted on the West Coast until well into the 90s. Don't know about any other types I'm afraid, apart from the charter set as you've mentioned. 

• RMweb Premium

There was a number of Mk1 coaches which received a thorough refurbishment internally and externally late in their lives and which were then formed into dedicated rakes of what amounted to a "Director's Reserve" fleet for operation at the behest of the IC Sector.  These coaches received IC livery but not whe white roof of the charter fleet stock.  As such the Bachmann releases which include most of the usual Mk1 styles is correct though I cannot confirm that the individual stock numbers applied also match vehicles so treated.

These sets operated on WCML duties principally "EBW" rosters (Euston - Birmingham - Wolverhampton) and one regularly reached the Cambrian Coast on summer Saturdays in the days when through trains still ran.  A weekday turn to Shrewsbury also featured a Mk1 IC set.  I believe they were all allocated to Oxley.

They could also be found working elsewhere if required and made regular trips to Paignton, Penzance and Newquay on summer weekends.  At least one set worked occasional relief overnight trains between Euston and Glasgow when the sleepers were booked out at busy weekends.

I recall working at Euston and once or twice taking an afternoon train down to Birmingham which was formed of unrefurbished b/g Mk1 stock and returned on the refurbished rake meaning they must have stuck to regular diagrams.

"Grey roof" and "white roof" liveried vehicles were not normally mixed in traffic despite being run by the same business sector.

Archived