How to fit headcode lamps

• RMweb Gold

This may appear to be a daft question, but I have bought some 00 gauge lamps for my locos and rolling stock, they are the Springside LMS white bodied ones which have a solid body and jeweled lens and come on a sprue.

What I want to be able to do is change their fitting between locos and carriages / brake vans etc to correctly represent the headcodes, so I can't just glue them to the body / running board on a particular loco or coach.

I think I've seen etched lamp brackets available for 00, so I was thinking I could glue some lamp brackets on the stock, and drill a small hole in the base of each lamp to hang them.

Will this work, or do you think the brackets will fall off with repeated changes? How have other people done this? Am I mad?

Hi Alastair,

I think this will depend on whether or not the etch has a

flat base or a pin.

A pin type base means drilling a hole, but will be much

more secure and therefore (hopefully) up to the job.

BTW no madder than the rest of us :senile:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I use Woodland Scenics Accent Glue. This is like rubber cement. A dab is put on part A, allowed to dry, then part A is put on part B. They stick together until pulled apart, then part A can be attached someplace else (with the same glue dab). Done properly, none of the glue stay on part B.

I use this a lot for lamps on buffer beams. It also seems to work on lamps and disks on vertical mounts, but they can get pushed out of position.

Guest stuartp

I use the hole filled with Blu-tak method. I also use cut down staples for the lamp irons themselves, they are steel and therefore usually stronger than etched brass and less vulnerable to damage. Use an 'L' shaped bit of staple set in a 0.5mm  hole drilled in the running plate.smokebox etc, secure underneath/behind with superglue.

Hi,

I tend to use Tacky Wax, this allows the lamps or headcode discs to be repositioned without any residue staying on the loco.

The wax is certainly up to normal running, & has not let me down at all.

The smokebox stays clean, & you only need a very small amount to allow the lamps / discs to be secured to the loco.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all for your replies, a number of interesting methods suggested. Time to have a play, methinks. :senile:

I particularly like stuartp's suggestion of using staples - had not occurred to me, but seems a more robust (and cheaper) solution than etches, and the blu-tak suggestion by chaz and stuartp is also excellent.

I'll have a look out for Tacky Wax, as well, thanks westcountryman.

Cheers all.

Archived