The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Who reads 'The Economist'?

OnTheBranchline

Almost purely political in its outlook these days (probably since the 70's) and should come with a free copy of the Guardian.

I have been known to pick one up in a GP waiting room to elevate my blood pressure so it is at least on scale (after all, it is slightly better to be seen reading it thumbing its pages than the usual array of Women's magazines, Country Life and SAGA.)

• RMweb Premium

my eldest is undertaking a PhD in Politics and Histroy and he reads it - but he would agree with Kenton less economy more politics - but they seem to be the same now...

I read it occasionally, and my dad has a subscription so he sometimes passes copies onto me. Personally, I think the journalism in the Economist is first class and they always have a really good spread of different topics in each issue. Most of the time they seem to conclude that the market will fix everything (which of course it won't), but so long as you can see past the ideology and draw your own conclusions, it's a worthwhile read.

Have been reading it on and off since schooldays. Certainly gets you thinking, even if you don't agree with the content.

The cover pic of the current issue (12th to 18th January) is a beauty, as was the New Year's "A Rough Guide To Hell"

Almost purely political in its outlook these days (probably since the 70's) and should come with a free copy of the Guardian.

I have been known to pick one up in a GP waiting room to elevate my blood pressure ....

...the latter not being too difficult these days, particularly after you've been on here!

...although it's more of a political magazine than a magazine about economics.

For those not planning the lawyering route, the other standard entrance to UK political office is the unholy menage of PPE: politics, philosophy and economics. In a 'vote yourself rich' system such as ours, policy is developed on the interface between ideas and what is economically possible. (Failure of political thought is when the idea produces policies outside what is economically sustainable.)

Archived