Manning Wardle 0-6-0, Littleton Colliery Nos. 4 & 5

Alex Duckworth

I think it may be in the list, under MW 18" 0-6-0ST

I recall it being featured in the RM during the early 1970s, and believe the drawing was by Don Townsley.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/33695-industrial-loco-drawings/

I thing the article was called "Manning Wardle's magnum opus' or similar.

This article may help if the above info is duff:-

RM Sep. 1972 p287 HE 16" 0-6-0ST and Littleton Colly article

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

Alex,

RT's thread of

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61850-boscomoor-sidings-and-the-littleton-colliery-branch-staffordshire/

has some nice pictures of Littleton No 5, as well as the pictures of her stuffed and mounted at the Avon Valley railway, outside Bristol.

There is a 4mm kit available of this old workhorse.

Gordon A

Bristol

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Brian R and Gordon A. Brian, I've contacted a few people re. the RM drawings so I may get something there, thanks. Gordon, many thanks for the link to the photos, I hadn't seen those. I'm after drawings as I'm going to make one in 2mm (probably).

Alex.

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old thread, I'm thinking (still only thinking) of building one of these big Manning Wardles. Unlike the excellent brass one in another thread, I would probably use plasticard. Also, because I'll take any short cut going, I might use the cut down frame plates of an early Triang Princess chassis. Remarkably, the wheel spacing appears to be just about perfect.

Anyway, the point of all this is that the 'Magnum Opus' article, with the plans, is in the May 1970 edition of RM. I can be sure of this because I have it sitting next to me at this moment. If anyone still wants a photocopy or scan, assuming that doesn't breach copyright, then let me know.

• 5 years later...
4 hours ago, Corbs said:

Hello, I am after the wheel diameter and wheel spacing for this loco if anyone has them to hand? Thanks in advance.

Wheels are 4'0" dia, 12 spoke, "pin between"

Wheelbase is 6'6" + 6'6"  ( or in full 8'0" + 6'6" + 6'6" + 8'0" )

Hope this helps ?

Brian R

MW2018of1922,HE1800of1936-NCB Littleton-070370-ebay.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2