N gauge bullhead track?

Hello all, I am in the early stages of planning a small N layout, even though I have not finished dismantling the OO one, and I was wondering if i'm going mad or not. I seem to think that there is someone out there that makes bullhead rail track in N gauge, but after much internet based searching, I have not yet found out who makes it, so I was wondering if any one here knows if its still available or not, or is it all just a dream?

It is possible to use 2MM association "Easytrack" (You will have to join), RTR stock will run on the plane track, although the gauge is 9.42mm gauge. For points, your on your own, but they can be made with Easytrack components, but you will have to play around with the flangway clearances. Other than that, copper clad construction. Have a look at Tom E's blog, and check out Eldavo's Wotton, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/347-tomes-n-gauge-modelling/

Gary

• RMweb Gold

You may be thinking of this system which I don't believe is generally available yet.  Alternatively there is the very similar and well established Easitrac from the 2mm Scale Association, which is 9.42mm gauge but has been used successfully with N gauge stock.

Even if the OP has opted for Peco, at least this thread has reminded me to order the 30M that I need to kick-off Tamworth LL. Not sure yet if I will also be using fiNetrax for the fiddleyard. Might cheat there and use Peco.

Thanks for the info, I had never heard of fiNetrax. Looks good and easy to get hold of, so i might just go for this. I'm not planning on having any points on the senic part of the layout, only in the fiddle yard. I was planning on using peco code 80 in the fiddleyard, I might use a bit of code 55 as a bridge between the code 80 and code 40. On my OO layout I had 4 different makes of track with 4 different codes of rail so i'm not worried about a bit of filing and fettling to get everything to connect together smoothly. Thanks again for all of the replies.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I decided to get some fiNetrax, and am quite pleased with it. Its a little bit fiddly to thread the rails onto the sleepers, but its not hard to do, and it looks so much better than peco. I only have a Dapol 156 and a farish FNA in N at present, I ran both over a piece I put together and there is plenty of clearance between the wheel flanges and sleepers/rail chairs on both models. I took a few pictures of the track for anyone who may be interested in it.

post-7477-0-86045800-1359637757_thumb.jpg

post-7477-0-72024700-1359637780_thumb.jpg

post-7477-0-72695900-1359637812_thumb.jpg

post-7477-0-51791700-1359637838_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys,

Nice to see people using my fiNetrax. Work on the turnout kits is progressing and I thought I would post some pics of the Nickel Silver Lost Wax Cast Frog that I first had done (sorry about the quality of the pics, the white balance of the camera is completely off):

1 in 6 with 0.85mm flangeway...

DSC_5577.JPG
DSC_5581.JPG
DSC_5584.JPG
DSC_5570.JPG
DSC_5580.JPG

Not easily seen in the images but there is actually representation of bullhead section which matches well with the actual rail.

Today I should receive a batch of 20 3D printed frogs to send to the caster, I am hoping he will have no issues burning out the plastic material.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just a couple of snaps of a half built diamond crossing showing how the cast frog blends with the nickel silver rail. The alignment into the holes is perfect :)

DSC00176.jpg
DSC00179.jpg

The top of the cast rails is just slightly under the other rails which will be solved in the next cast. Also, the section of the rail (the head, web and foot) doesn't quite match the rest of the rail so I am also tweaking this. I am pretty happy with the colour match, though.

• 6 months later...

Archived