wiring directional lights to a Hornby 37

jimikelly

I've tried to wire directional lights to a Hornby class 37 I thought I was doing very well .but then came across how do I wire it to the motor .with only two wires red and black where and how do I connect both end of the loco to the two wires HELP !!!!!please 

When doing lighting what you need is to take the track feed to the wires for the lights. 

You will need LEDS or bulbs and diodes so they operate depending upon which way the loco is going.

Depending upon the age of the model the newer ones have a main board where you can solder/connect the lighting feeds to.

If it is an older ringfield type loco then what Hornby used to do for lighting was to take a feed from the unpowered bogie and a feed from the motor with the diode and light bulb between these feeds.  Obviosly in one direction you have the headlights at end A and tail at B from circuit A (lets call it.)  For end hl B  & tl A the B wiring is the same except the diode is reversed.

It can be easy if A & B end wires are done as 2 identical looms and you plug them in the opposite way round.

When doing lighting what you need is to take the track feed to the wires for the lights. 

You will need LEDS or bulbs and diodes so they operate depending upon which way the loco is going.

Depending upon the age of the model the newer ones have a main board where you can solder/connect the lighting feeds to.

If it is an older ringfield type loco then what Hornby used to do for lighting was to take a feed from the unpowered bogie and a feed from the motor with the diode and light bulb between these feeds.  Obviosly in one direction you have the headlights at end A and tail at B from circuit A (lets call it.)  For end hl B  & tl A the B wiring is the same except the diode is reversed.

It can be easy if A & B end wires are done as 2 identical looms and you plug them in the opposite way round.

You well have to excuse my lack of understanding,I get all the wiring what I dont get is the {except the diode is reversed } would there be any chance you could draw this information out for me OR direct me to somewhere that could ;;;many thanks JIMI  

Hi there I just cant get my head round the wiring lights to a loco ,Im ok with the basic stuff but just cant get to grips on how to wire it to the motor for directional use ,PLease someone help this auld dummy ,,in layman terms or draw it out for me ....

Hi there I just cant get my head round the wiring lights to a loco ,Im ok with the basic stuff but just cant get to grips on how to wire it to the motor for directional use ,PLease someone help this auld dummy ,,in layman terms or draw it out for me ....Hello,

Please tell us what you're using for lights - bulbs / LEDs ?

Are they something you're making from scratch or a proprietary product ?

Without this info - difficult to help.

Rgds,

Andy

Please tell us what you're using for lights - bulbs / LEDs ?

Are they something you're making from scratch or a proprietary product ?

Without this info - difficult to help.

Rgds,

Andy

Andy Im just adding LED lights to a class 37 ,I have them all in place and wired but I cant for the love of me get them to work directional 

OK, I assume it's a standard dc loco.

As you know LEDs are polarity conscious and need a resistor for 12v operation.

To confirm which way round to connect them, you will need to understand what polarity of dc supply causes the loco to go forwards. At one end of the loco, connect the positive of the forward facing LEDs to the positive wire of the motor connection - if this is not obvious, check with a meter.

At the same end of the loco, connect the LEDs that you want to light in reverse direction the opposite way around - i.e. the negative lead of the LEDs to the positive motor lead and you should have what you need.

Do the same at the other end and then travelling in each direction you should have head/marker lights at the forward facing end and (presumably) red lights at the opposite end.

Good Luck.

Archived