Seep Electromagnetic uncouplers: Push to Make switches

I have some old SEEP electromagnets for uncoupling which I'm about to re-use on my new layout.  The push to make contact switches originally supplied were not needed on my old layout so I never used them.  Trying one out and building into my control panel, it seemed unreliable with no contact made at all on some pushes.  I could swap it for one of the other spares, but i feel inclined to look in Maplins for something beefier..  

Does anyone have experience of these push buttons, and are they normally reliable in the long term, bearing in mind the current they have to switch each time the button is used?

Thanks for your experiences.

Rob

Hi Rob

As far as I recall, the square button switches from Maplin are rated at 3 amps which should be fine. I have used them for Kadee electromagnetic uncouplers and they have been reliable. Be careful not to over heat the solder lugs when attaching wires as the back end of these lugs are the actual switch contacts.

Another option is to use miniature sprung toggle switches - these are usually rated at 5 amps and are a bit more robust.

Regards.

Thanks for that Bill - very useful.

Sprung toggle switches sound like a really good idea for a durable solution and not prohibitively expensive as I'm only using one, with the choice of particular electromagnets made by subsequent on/off switches which are already in place.  I've set it up like this because I anticipated that the push button could be unreliable in the long term and in need of occasional replacement.

The SEEP electromagnets have a resistance of 12 ohms, so, using my dimly remembered school physics, with 24 volts AC that would suggest a current of 2 amps. If the Maplins square buttons are rated at 3 amps, they should also be ok shouldn't they? 

Cheers

Rob

The  PTM switches like those supplied with the SEEP magnets and also available from the likes of Squires, Modelex, etc etc come in at least two different grades. Some with all plastic bodies, some with a part metal body. The part metal ones are from my experience significantly more robust - I've used those without problems for magnets and point motors, but have had several of the all plastic variety fail...

Archived