I want to kitbash one of these, but what is it!?

hello all,

A while ago I wanted to model an industrial design 0-6-0 tank engine in n gauge, or as near to it, utilising the Poole style Graham Farish J94 chassis, using the footplate and full cab from the stock body as a building aid. 

The only problem with this is that I lost all the links to the sites with the most helpful photos and information, so far wracking my brain and googling in my usual way isn't working! there was a website which listed all known surviving Hudswell clarke engines by number and it had a link to a photo of the engine. the website had a creamy yellow type background IIRC....

anyway here is what I would like to model, I could do with some dimensions for the engine though..

uk287.jpg

This is the engine I was after as I distinctly remember it being No.9 in green livery from other photos I had found.... 

Any help would be wonderful!

Many thanks,

Bruce

Hi,

The location is Summerlee Industrial Museum, Coatbridge.  Loco is in poor condition last time I saw it.  Stored outside in the open and badly rusted.  Pity as it was one of the few inside cylindered locos to work in Scotland.  I cannot help with a drawing though you could try Leeds industrial museum as I think they have the Hudswell drawings or will know where they are. 

Hope this helps.

Ian

Hi,

........I cannot help with a drawing though you could try Leeds industrial museum as I think they have the Hudswell drawings or will know where they are. 

Hope this helps.

Ian

I tried a few years ago to get a loco drawing from the Leeds museum - was told the newly revitalised HUNSLET company had just claimed all rights to the Hudswell archive so any enquiries would have to be directed in that direction. I didn't follow it up at the time so have no idea if the company would oblige.

• RMweb Premium

I tried a few years ago to get a loco drawing from the Leeds museum - was told the newly revitalised HUNSLET company had just claimed all rights to the Hudswell archive so any enquiries would have to be directed in that direction. I didn't follow it up at the time so have no idea if the company would oblige.

LH ( now Wabtec) own lots of different loco company archives - try them direct as they are generally helpful - if not pm me and I will talk to someone I know works there direct.

I could do with some dimensions for the engine though..

Hudswell Clarke w/n 895, supplied to Wemyss Coal Co. and despatched to Wemyss Castle station, Fife on 16th December 1909.   Wheels 4ft. 2in. diameter.

Wemyss Coal Co. Numbers 8 and 14 were also the same type.

I'm afraid that's all I have on it.

• RMweb Premium

I understand that some of the archives are at Statfold Barn, so they might be worth asking too.

that was/ is part of LH as well - which owns the Hunslet Engine Company - recently th family (LH) have sold out to Wabtec. Not sure if that included the farm workshope

So am I best contacting the Statfold Railway? 

Was tempted to politely ask the museum up in scotland to just do basic measurements in return for a donation. 

Good idea - if you email a couple of photos with the measurements already marked up that you need, I'm sure they'd help in exchange for a donation.

Might be worth a squint at the Wemyss Private Railway book by A W Brotchie, where there may be some images, though I will point out a minor point as she was a Fife Coal Company locomotive not a Wemyss Private Railway locomotive I think however it was usually spotted at the Michael Colliery and a few pictures exist of it there. I also seem to think she ended her days at Bedlay Colliery and it may be worth speaking to Ayrshire Railway Preservation Group to see if they can help on dimensions; just "google" it and the website from memory has some colour images.

cheers for the replies again lads, the info you give is helpful, the last two photos alone are brilliant and are giving me enough info to start the project! (even without measurements!) 

The colour photos are greatly appreciated especially since a lot of NCB livery photos of her are quite grainy etc these photos are incredibly clear so hopefully when it comes round to painting I can find a very close match!

Except No.8 was a saddle tank instead of a side tank

Here is No.9 at Bedlay Colliery in July 1976, looking remarkably clean (dare I say !),

I'm sure if you look closely enough you'll find some soot on it somewhere though. :jester:

Archived