Meter/standard dual gauge examples

Post number 23 in the basic rhb questions thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61632-some-basic-rhb-questions/page-1

has a good picture of a swiss sbb diesel next to an RhB loco. very inspiring!

Anywhere else examples and pictures like this can be found and how the route sharing worked? I think from google earth the LSE (or whatever it's know as now) seems to have some dual gauge for industrial sites just out of Luzern station. But that's all i've got!

Our European headquarters is at Morges, where metre gauge BAM, and I can only ever remember what the B&A stand for Bier apples. It terminates along side the std gauge lines and I believe that some of the sidings are dual gauge to allow transfer of traffic

Unfortunately a travel ban has stopped my visits to get more info , now I have a decent loft I'm thinking of modelling a Morges inspired layout, just don't know what to do with my BR blue diesel stuff.

Colin

The M is of course for Morges

• RMweb Gold

Interlaken Ost sounds like your sort of place. The metre-gauge Brunig Bahn terminates there, having come all the way from Luzern via the mountains. The Bernese Oberland Bahn starts there, also metre-gauge and with rack assistance takes you way up towards other connecting lines ending at Jungfraujoch (11,333' ISTR). Connecting with these two is the standard gauge Bern Loetschberg Simplon, or at least an important branch of it.

• RMweb Premium

I'll assume HO scale here.

Interlaken Ost would indeed make a splendid model, although the main problem would be that it would have to be built by a refugee from the larger scales to cope with the floorspace and rolling stock prices. The station will need to  cater for trains of 14+ coaches (in addition to motive power) and the carriage sidings for the same on the mainline, and the price of Berner Oberland Bahn stock is well into the upper O-scale prices. It makes the Bemo-sourced stock for the Bruenig bahn look almost affordable!

I had gathered the impression that the OP was asking about interlaced dual gauge, however on re-reading I can see that Ian's interpretation is equally valid.

So, I'll offer Zweisimmen as a possible location - standard gauge BLS, and metre gauge Montreaux-Oberland-Bernois (MOB) bahn. This would still need a visit to the Bemo shop, and at least a glance at the HAG listings (HAG prices have diverged upwards and downwards since the factory difficulties, depending on the desirability and availability of the models remaining on stockists' shelves).

ISTR that there was once (possibly still) a small section of interlaced track at Zweisimmen, where standard gauge wagons were loaded onto metre gauge wagon transporters (or vice-versa? Perhaps someone can correct me).

The interlaced track near Luzern on the LSE served an industrial siding. Somewhere in the depths of my mind I remember reading that the standard gauge has been removed, or re-layed outside of the metre gauge. Can anyone else provide some light on this?

Dave

Cheers for the replies guys.

I'm after 'inspiration' for a location rather than modelling something exact. My Swiss meter gauge stock is RhB in origin (but obviously modelling Chur even at HO would be insane!) and it's G scale. Standard gauge from G is gauge 3 which also runs on code 250(?) rail like LGB and plenty of parts seem to be available to start the basis of building an SBB Diesel of some description.

Yeah i know, i have issues!

• RMweb Premium

Interlaken Ost sounds like your sort of place. The metre-gauge Brunig Bahn terminates there, having come all the way from Luzern via the mountains. The Bernese Oberland Bahn starts there, also metre-gauge and with rack assistance takes you way up towards other connecting lines ending at Jungfraujoch (11,333' ISTR). Connecting with these two is the standard gauge Bern Loetschberg Simplon, or at least an important branch of it.

On a vist to Switzerland some years ago the BOB was celebrating it's birthday (75Jahre?) and as part of the celebrations there was some rolling stock swapped between the SBB Brunigbahn (rack assistance also to Luzern) and the BOB.

Interlaken Ost is interesting as both the BLS and SBB lines are 11kv AC but two different gauges and the BOB is 1500vDC.

IIRC there is connection between the two metre gauge lines. The OH must be interesting with all that variety!

There is a standard gauge line to a dock on Lake Brienz which means it splits the metre gauge track. See Google Earth:

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=46.691341,7.87591&spn=0.007256,0.021136&t=h&z=16

Keith

• 6 months later...

Post number 23 in the basic rhb questions thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61632-some-basic-rhb-questions/page-1

has a good picture of a swiss sbb diesel next to an RhB loco. very inspiring!

Anywhere else examples and pictures like this can be found and how the route sharing worked? I think from google earth the LSE (or whatever it's know as now) seems to have some dual gauge for industrial sites just out of Luzern station. But that's all i've got!

The interlaced track over the Zentralbahn serves basically two uses, first accessing the remaining stub of the Kriens-Luzern Bahn (a freight-only private line which serves the Eichhof Brewery on the edge of Luzern) and second, permitting access to a tank terminal on the outskirts of Horw (first station out of Luzern on the Zentralbahn).

Another place where mixed-gauge track exists is on the RBS in Bern. However RBS first relinquished its freight service to SBB Cargo and now apparently the paper mill which justified it closed down. But I'm not entirely sure.

Cheers NB

Archived