BRM March 2013 - 20th Anniversary Special

SteveCole

• Administrators

Hi all,

We’re all so excited by this issue! It’s BRM’s 20th Anniversary Special Issue and we’ve really pulled out all of the stops to ensure it’s something pretty special! Expect 13-pages of Roy Jackson’s epic layout Retford, an article on the modular layout design of Balcombe, the O gauge Bankfield Road and a look back at the best layouts to have graced the pages of BRM! And, that’s just for starters…

post-14186-0-01455300-1360229022_thumb.jpg

FREE DVD with all issues purchased via WHSmith and Supermarkets

20 Years of British Railway Modelling. Editor John Emerson and Tony Wright look back at the best layouts to have appeared in BRM over the past two decades.

post-14186-0-44936200-1360229086.jpg

CONTENT

John Emerson looks back at 20 years of BRM

Retford - A Progress Report: 13-pages on Roy Jackson’s ‘Layout of a Lifetime’

The case for N gauge – two decades of progress: Richard Dockerill looks at how this scale has evolved over the past 20 years

Layout Gallery: A look at some of the best layouts to have appeared in BRM

The Balcombe Project: fascinating layout combination project

Practical BRM: How to… create a river and weir. By David Wright

Tebay: a nostalgic look at the Shipley MRS layout

Lock’s Siding: Alan Cliff looks back at his long-running column which graced the pages of BRM for 156 consecutive issues

Bankfield Road: minimum space O gauge layout by John Kneeshaw

Practical BRM: How to build…white metal wagon kits. By Adrian Marks

Black Country Blues update

Layout Gallery: a further look at the best layouts from the past 20 years of BRM

Practical BRM: 20 essential tips for layout maintenance

BRM Project Layout: The Wisbech & Upwell Tramway

What’s New: a look at Dapol’s new Class 52 plus many more

Hornby 2-BIL review

Tried and Tested: Modelmates Dyes

Diary Dates

As you can see, it’s a bumper issue! Enjoy.

Steve and the BRM Team!

The Digital Edition (prices start at just £2.49 an issue) is available to download on Friday, February 8. You can buy from iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/british-railway-modelling/id494241473?mt=8) or Pocketmags (http://www.pocketmags.com/viewmagazine.aspx?titleid=856&title=British+Railway+Modelling)

A superb issue with a very interesting Letter of the Month which I'm hoping will spark some debate both here and in the magazine. Anyone bemoaning the lack of new blood into the hobby may find one of the reasons for it and I hope the letter causes some of the curmudgeonly rivet counters to pause and think.

Regards

Veronica.

• RMweb Gold

Is it really 20 years? It seems only yesterday that someone brought into the clubroom this really amazing new modelling magazine with fantastic photographs and great layouts. Whatever happened to Midsomer Norton??

• Administrators

Hi all,

Just to let you know, the BRM Digital Editions app has been upgraded. If you have previously downloaded the BRM app can you please delete this and download the new version from:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/british-railway-modelling/id586208605?ls=1&mt=8

All past purchases will automatically be restored.

As well as being easier to use, this new app allows you to view the magazine as it is being downloaded rather than having to wait until the whole magazine has downloaded.

If you've never tried BRM as a Digital Edition, this app is completely free of charge and includes two FREE sample magazines. If you like the magazine in a digital format, copies of BRM cost from just £2.49 an issue or £26.99 for a 12-month sub! Bargain!

post-14186-0-38595700-1360764891.jpg

Steve

As well as featuring on the cover there's a 13-page article on the story behind Roy Jackson's epic 'Retford' EM layout of a lifetime. My thanks go to Roy and the team for affording the time to me to get a selection of shots to illustrate the story. If you're not familiar with Retford it's well worth a read to understand the scope of such a vast undertaking and all to scale thus representing a scale mile of the ECML in the 1950s. And if you are familiar with Retford I'm sure you'll still enjoy Roy's narrative.

A couple of the images are on the small side (as they show a comparison with some real-world shots to show the fidelity to the prototype) so I thought I'd let you have full screen versions (click to enlarge).

1s.jpg

6s.jpg

The article on Retford made it for me. Thank you to Roy for writing such an in depth article on the layout and to Andy for some really lovely photography.

Those pics have a very interesting 'aura' about them - any sort of 'special' treatment there Andy?

I've never been able to see anyone's aura no matter how other worldly they may think they are. ;)

If you can be a bit more specific I may be able to advise but the only thing out of the norm was to slightly lighten the main subject matter more than I normally would as I feel some of the images in previous issues printed a little dark. Maybe I just have a bright monitor when I'm working. ;)

I could get used to this idea of it popping thro the letterbox......dvd as well this time.

Checked the mag out last night......very good read indeed this month, hit the spot for me.

To think it was 4th on my list of monthly preferences........now I'm on subscription.

Loved the Retford article......spent many a Saturday in 62/63/64 on the end of that curved platform, what a superb vantage point it was.

Thanks BRM..................

Bob.

Archived