Little 0-6-0 from big 0-6-0

post-6220-0-32374200-1360950264_thumb.jpg

This one has been brewing off site, I've been building up the body to see if it will look like what I hoped before posting it on here.

Hopefully it looks like one of the small engines supplied by Vulcans and Kitsons to the Cambrian Railway in the 1890's, It also seems to have some pedigree with the Kitson locomotives supplied to the Waterford, Limerick & Western Railway over in Ireland for the Engineer Robinson before he went to England to design locomotives for the GCR.

Looking through a copy of Russell's Absorbed GWR Engines on page 98 the Lima moulding is a similar size to the diagrams there.

So a bigger H0 loco is equivalent in size to a small loco in 00, except the buffer level is too low but some spare bigger wheels from a Hornby Jinty/Thomas lifts it to the right height, that's why they're blue. A little filing was necessary to open up the chassis to let the wider axles in, but this is a push along chassis so not too much precision is needed.
At the moment it is teamed with a Hornby James/Schools motorised chassis, just connecting the metal tie bar from the Lima chassis and it runs, pick-up being from one side on the loco and to'ther on the tender. The tender is a bit big but provides bargain basement motive power.

post-6220-0-47426600-1360950299_thumb.jpg

post-6220-0-16933900-1360950285_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

You don't say what the original HO Lima loco was so I'm guessing the 4F or have you used something else?

If the large tender offends you, someone on here converted a B12 into a D16 and squeezed the tender drive

from a Hornby Patriot into the shell of the B12. It looked very smart so might be something to consider.

Jim

Hi Jim  It was a Lima 4F in H0 scale which is the big loco. As regards to the tender I was surprised that it all works.

Just by combining a few components, some wheels from Hornby, the Lima crank pins where the same thread and screwed straight into the Hornby wheels,

I hooked up the Hornby drag bar and the combination runs, no fiddling around with pick-ups and wires.

I can live with the tender being so big whilst I get the model detailed and painted. It might not seem so big when it is no longer fire engine red.

• 3 weeks later...

post-6220-0-67170700-1362849463_thumb.jpg

post-6220-0-53496400-1362849482_thumb.jpg

First coat of paint showed up where any filling was needed, I ended up with the ready mixed Revell filler in a tube. Dome, chimney and hand rails yet to come.

Ouch I missed that safety valve stand when I was filling.

post-6220-0-89263400-1362849505_thumb.jpg

Second go at the tender top edge flairs, I split a plastic biro body in quarters length ways and glued them on, too big, the real ones should be about 6 inches tall.

this is where the forgiving nature of plastic lets you try something out and then it can be easily removed or modified until it looks right.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

post-6220-0-03165600-1364675894_thumb.jpg

Some work has been done to progress the model of the late 19th century 0-6-0 that is a little bit influenced by the locomotive engineer Robinson when he worked for the Waterford Limerick and Western Railway in old Ireland. In particular Shannon the first engine in Ireland to have a square Belpaire firebox, a fore runner to the his later Great Central engines in England.
I've glued on the dome and chimney .The chimney has caused me a lot of trouble, I could not find one that looked right or seemed tall enough and finally plumpped for this one, a white metal casting of unknown origin, I found it somewhere at an exhibition model rail junk sale.
Looking at a photo of Shannon in the Robinson Locomotives book by B. Haresnape and P Rowledge my model seems much shorter in the boiler barrel but then that's the how the plastic moulding came.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi RH, if you looking for inspiration visa-ve tenders, then heres some Irish flair for your muse.

post-9274-0-85239500-1369935952.jpg

The original 'Shannon' sporting a very nice example

post-9274-0-75572000-1369936407.jpg

And the 'Dreadnought' with a coal railless example.

Food for thought

ScR  

• Like 1

Reply to Scots Region.

Thank you for your helpful suggestions and pictures, the first one of Shannon is my inspiration for the loco, but my use of the big old Hornby tender drive allowed me to prove that using components from different sources would work together and get the model running. A sort of proof of concept.

The cardboard mock-up tender covers up a new Bull-Ant motorised drive with 22+22 mm wheel spacing. Perhaps I'll build a plasticard or metal body to replace the cardboard one after the loco and Hornby tender have been painted. Finding a suitable mechanism for any pre-grouping era tender has been difficult, some sort of small 4 wheel drive diesel shunter would be ideal. The Bull-Ant range are very good mechanisms for tender drives. Apart from the loco painting and trying to fit the boiler handrails, and finishing some wagon kits I am trying to fit a modern motor and gearbox to an old Triang Nellie before the cardboard tender job.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Since I've got them out for photographing for other topics I might as well ahow all of my small 0-6-0s, and they are all from the pre-grouping era.

post-6220-0-39695900-1533150442_thumb.jpg

The two at the front, nearest to the camera are both modifications using the old Lima H0 model of the LMS 4F so they have the same wheelbase.

The loco at the back is a proper scale model, it is a Golden Arrow resin body and tender kit of a SECR O1 on a Hornby standard Jinty 0-6-0 chassis and is slightly longer than the other two but essentially the same size.

post-6220-0-75871800-1533150849_thumb.jpg

The two dark green ones with their tenders swapped over, I must finished the lining on these and add some buffers and handrails to the ex Lima model. Both represent late 19th century types.

post-6220-0-98032700-1533151137_thumb.jpg

The two ex-Lima nose to nose, the light green uses the original solid spoked Lima wheels the right hand one has Hornby spoked ones substituted.

I always thought that the light green one was much smaller as it has a low pitched boiler, now seeing them compared headon they are about the same size.

post-6220-0-70340200-1533660290_thumb.jpg

A slightly arty shot maybe taken at sunset. This shows the more open look of spoked wheels on the one nearest the tunnels.

The dark green ex-Lima looks a lot better with the smaller tender from the O1 as is a better representation of an older type tender, but the loco is an umpowered push along model so it would require the tender to be motorised. Meanwhile if I put the powered tender togethen with the powered O1 the combination would be some kind 

of 19th century super powered loco, maybe a bit like the old GNR steam tender and 0-6-0 combo they built under back in the day to drag long coal trains down to London?

Edited by relaxinghobby
  • Like 5