Location help please

acg5324

• RMweb Premium

A recently acquired medium format neg dated July 1964 shows Class 73 E6022 at an unknown location on a long van train made up largely of Mk1 CCTs.

The date is clearly wrong more likely July 1974 but does anyone recognize the location. Are they the Gatwick Airport trip wires and sidings?

p1455242330-5.jpg

http://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/p483082284/h56BD3C5A#h56bd3c5a

• RMweb Gold

Certainly the great Gatport at Airwick, and those VEPs in the sidings are a few years too early in 1964. I suspect the train might be the 11.35 Chichester - Bricklayers Arms. This picked up fresh produce all along the west coast route - the area is/was alive with market gardens.

On more than one occasion a tamper was known to cut the tripwire, causing panic in the signalbox and elsewhere.

• RMweb Gold

The approach to the runway is directly above and across the tracks, and tripwires have been in place for more than 50 years, so any low-flying plane, with scope for disaster, puts all signals to danger over some distance either side of the station - and I think may discharge the traction current, too.

The approach to the runway is directly above and across the tracks, and tripwires have been in place for more than 50 years, so any low-flying plane, with scope for disaster, puts all signals to danger over some distance either side of the station - and I think may discharge the traction current, too.

Cutting the juice!!

Bloody handy if you see it coming and want to get the hell outa there :-)

Jim

Electrified conductor rail + crashed plane with fuel + resulting sparks = BOOOM !!!

That's (mainly) why the traction current is designed to trip off...................not crashing a train into the wreakage is good too

Has that 2nd CCT got a white roof ????????????????

Headcode 47 id's the train ??

Must have been just about the last 73 in E60xx guise at that time - the SR were as sharp with their re-numbering as they were with blue repainting........

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for the confirmation of the location. What threw me initially was that all the trees on the left handside are now covered in tarmac as part of the airport carpark and the layout of tracks and sidings has been substantially altered with the Brighton line resignalling in the early 1980's.  I think the second CCT has been recently repainted with a shiny roof making it look white.

The trip wires have been activated several times but so far only by big birds ( awaiting punchline ) and the S&T doing maintenance.

Archived