The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

How on Earth Did She Stay Upright?

c2c

....and now we wonder how they are going to get them off? "With great difficulty, and a lot of swearing!", springs to mind!

That did cross my mind as well. I'll ask my pal over the weekend if I see him.

They would have a huge amount of ballast (probably water) in the 'hold' (actually ballast tanks)*, and presumably had some sophisticated weather routing to avoid high winds. Because they have ballast tanks they should be able to adjust the deck height to match the dock and then roll them off.

*think of her as an iceberg (lots of mass out of sight below the waterline)

Adrian

Impressive as that is, it saddens me that that is shipped half way around the world, rather than being made in this country.

!00% agree with you, but isn't it sad that with all the manufacturing and shipping cost's the Chinese are still cheaper than having them built in this country!

Guest Natalie Graham

Phew! That's a relief. I saw the thread title and thought I'd been spotted on the way back from the pub.  :jester:

Phew! That's a relief. I saw the thread title and thought I'd been spotted on the way back from the pub.  :jester:

Why was the lady accompanying you gripping heavily onto your arm,walking bandy legged, swaying ,staggering and about to turn turtle? :)

I guess it had a better satnav that the one that regularly routes high goods vehicles towards my local 13'6" railway bridge...............

Cheers,

Mick

With that amount of "top hamper " she needed a good GPS and radar  to navigate around a lumpy swell!

How did she stay upright?  Well for a start we can safely assume that Leslie Philips wasn't navigating. 

'Left hand down a bit!'???

(usually followed by a sound effect of several hundred tons of metal hitting the quayside)

Guest Natalie Graham

If they'd hung some big sheets of canvas from those jibs they could have saved a fortune in fuel costs.

Archived