The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Was it once called Hobbs Lane?

The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

So yes, if you are of the right age when you read this topic you might well wonder if any roads in the area were ever renamed from Hobbs Lane.  And I wonder what they might find when they dig down a bit further?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2293615/Medieval-graves-solve-mystery-Black-Death-Twelve-skeletons-discovered-London-street.html 

So yes, if you are of the right age when you read this topic you might well wonder if any roads in the area were ever renamed from Hobbs Lane.  And I wonder what they might find when they dig down a bit further?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2293615/Medieval-graves-solve-mystery-Black-Death-Twelve-skeletons-discovered-London-street.html 

Trouble is apart from the Quatermass & The Pit TV series, which I thought at the time was much scarier than Doctor Who, I can't get the Goon Show spoof of it out of my head, especially, "This skull is 5 million years old" "Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you.........." 

Yes, Q and the Pit scared the crap out of me. Dr. Who was a child's show.

I still can see all the plates and cutlery chasing after that guy.

Best, Pete.

PS Notice the fine teeth on that skull? Before Cane Sugar I'd say.

So was it 12 or was it 9? Just the fact that the burials appear to be neatly spaced makes me think they may well not of been of he period. Most burials were of the type of a big hole in the ground and the bodies simply thrown in. There was a large comunal grave unearthed next to where we lived in Dorchester during the mid 60's, and given the total deaths there are probably many others dotted around the country. As for unearthing the cause of the Black Death to reek a modern day pandemic ... I fear it would spread much easier in the densely populated modern world.

• RMweb Gold

Another one here who had the **** scared out of him as a youngster with Q and the Pit!   I seem to recall it was in the days of live broadcasting such things,  or are the grey cells dissolving now?

• RMweb Gold

So was it 12 or was it 9? Just the fact that the burials appear to be neatly spaced makes me think they may well not of been of he period. Most burials were of the type of a big hole in the ground and the bodies simply thrown in. There was a large comunal grave unearthed next to where we lived in Dorchester during the mid 60's, and given the total deaths there are probably many others dotted around the country. As for unearthing the cause of the Black Death to reek a modern day pandemic ... I fear it would spread much easier in the densely populated modern world.

Emergency mass graves were dug, but the corpses were not simply thrown in. Men and women were placed side by side in uniform rows, often with hands folded across the torso.

Archived