Par Station & St Blazey Depot, 1980's Cornish Mainline in N scale

cornish trains jez

Hi Jeremy

certainly progressing & looking very good.....

I admire your ability to scratchbuild in such a small  scale & the end results are excellent.

Am really enjoying following your progress,keep the pics coming

Cheers Bill

Thanks Bill! It's not easy in this scale as you say. It still needs some work and hopefully once I have filled all the gaps and primed the model, it will all start coming together. I must say, this particular building has been easier so far than the footbridge which was a completed headache!

I think most sections of that model were built twice!!! And the swear box filled up quickly!!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Good eveing,

A little bit of progress this week on the signal box. I've started putting in the main framework on the front windows, and started building the sashes, all made using 1mm and 0.5mm sq strips of plasticard. Still lots to do, hopefully I'll get some modelling time in tomorrow, once I've cut the lawn, tidied the borders, done some weeding, planted out the tomatoes....................... :no:

I've also managed to eliminate the shiny patches where I had renumbered class 37181, using several thin layers of Humbrol matt acrylic varnish from an aerosol. I'll post some pictures of this loco a bit later once I have finished painting the snowploughs and the rest of the detailing.

Anyway, here are some photos of progress on the signal box.

post-10222-0-62760300-1370719979_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-50268300-1370720005_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-35664500-1370720026_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 11

Good afternoon,

More progress has been made this week as I managed to get an evening's work in on the signal box (whilst my wife and 6 week old son had a long nap on the sofa! :whistle: ) and have now finished fitting the sash window frames to the front of the box and all also the side. I'll start work on the back over the weekend and fit in the lower windows and the floor.

A few progress shots.

post-10222-0-76593400-1371212161_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-81339100-1371212187_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-91421500-1371212209_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 7

A couple of shots of Par for you - taken in 1983

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48175753@N03/8117048139/in/photolist-dngZBR-dnghwN-dgusNK-e1eGEq

Don't know how far you are going round the corner on the scenic section but this one shows the signal quite nicely

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48175753@N03/8116909922/in/photolist-dnghwN-dgusNK-e1eGEq

Hi Steve,

Cheers for the links on those, some fabulous pictures and bang on the era that I am modelling, early to late 80's with a hint of 90's stock every now and then!. The scenic section of the layout runs from the road bridge up to about halfway along Chapel siding. I'm hoping to add a little more to the Western end once I have a bit more space but need to concentrate on getting the sections done first that I have already started.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Just out of curiosity. What is the difference in height between easitrac and peco code 80. To make things clearer when laid on the same board what is the overall difference? I need to know for Millers Dale so that I know how thick my cork needs to be under the easitrac to boost the rail top level upto the peco code 80 on the return curves and fiddle yard.

Layouts looking great btw!

Cav

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity. What is the difference in height between easitrac and peco code 80. To make things clearer when laid on the same board what is the overall difference? I need to know for Millers Dale so that I know how thick my cork needs to be under the easitrac to boost the rail top level upto the peco code 80 on the return curves and fiddle yard.

Layouts looking great btw!

Cav

Hi Cav,

The difference in height is about 2.5mm. Code 55 is about 4mm in height from the bottom of the sleeper to the top of the rail, code 80 is about 4.5mm, and easitrac is about 2mm. Once the code 55 had been taken up, I added sheets of 1.5mm thick card onto the cork base to increase the height as I had already laid down my platforms and it looks ok, albeit slightly below 2FS standards but it's hardly noticeable.

Like you, I'll be using code 80 in the fiddle yards as it will be more cost effective and less hassle than "Easitracking" the lot.

Hope this helps and good luck with Millers Dale. I am watching your progress with interest.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez

I am very unsure how I missed this thread until now but caught up at last so never mind, firstly - mega congratulations on progress so far, the modelling is most excellent adn I look forward to seeing the development of the layout and then maybe seeing it on the flesh should you exhibit it?

We are starting to see a most excellent batch of n gauge layouts develop in recent years and this is sure to become one of the best.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 1

I am very unsure how I missed this thread until now but caught up at last so never mind, firstly - mega congratulations on progress so far, the modelling is most excellent adn I look forward to seeing the development of the layout and then maybe seeing it on the flesh should you exhibit it?

We are starting to see a most excellent batch of n gauge layouts develop in recent years and this is sure to become one of the best.

Best wishes

Simon

Hi Simon,

Many thanks for your kind comments. When I first started Par I intended to build it with a view to exhibiting if one day. However since starting the layout I have moved home and now have the opportunity to have a permanent home for it. I am hoping to build a large garden shed at the beginning of next year which will have enough space to allow me to also build St Blazey depot. So it has now become more of a long term project.

If you ever visiting Sussex, feel free to PM me.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning,

A few hours spent on the signal box yesterday and I made a little bit more progress. The chimney stack to the rear of the box has now been fitted (which was an absolute nightmare to build and fit!) and just requires a little bit of filling and filing. The western side has now been fitted and just requires the installation of the sash windows. I also need to install the sash windows to the rear of the box and then I can crack on producing the windows and doors. I have also fitted the smaller windows in the brick elevations which were etched brass windows salvaged from an old ratio GWR signal box kit which actually really look the part. I have fitted the window ledges to the front and now just need to finish the ones to the rear.

Here are some progress shots....

post-10222-0-22852600-1372062703_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-56195100-1372062734_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-61651000-1372062770_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-63537500-1372062804_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-86504900-1372062828_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 4

Looking good.

I have used those Ratio window frames and they are very good..

Ian

Thanks Ian. I was going to use OHP transparent sheet to make all the windows and I happened to stumble across an old etch of windows and luckily enough they seemed to fit the aperture quite nicely. That's saved me a job of scribing the frames into the transparent sheet!! Unfortunately I'll have to go through this process though for the main windows.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Looking the part. I like the way you are forced to scratch build when modelling a real location.

Cav

Thanks mate! It's fun scratch building but a very time consuming operation. However it's a far more pleasant experience building the signal box than building the footbridge!

The next structure will be the island platform canopy......mmmh which could prove tricky with all those joists and cross beams to model!!! Agghhhhhhh!!!  :O

You're going to have fun with Millers Dale, I was looking at the station building on the disused railways website and it sure looks challenging!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez

As a rule, 2mm FS is the wrong scale for me ;)
But this looks a nice project
Par is a bit of a fave of mine
and I'll be looking forward to progress on this layout

Nice mods on the 37, and some nice, neat modelling on that signalbox

Cheers

Marc

• Like 1

For the canopy, the timber structural parts are relatively easy using either Plastruct or Evergreen sections. They tend not to warp any where as much as when cutting them out of styrene sheet.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I've bought a selection of bits from plastruct and evergreen so hopefully I'll be able to build a fair representation.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

As a rule, 2mm FS is the wrong scale for me ;)

But this looks a nice project

Par is a bit of a fave of mine

and I'll be looking forward to progress on this layout

Nice mods on the 37, and some nice, neat modelling on that signalbox

Cheers

Marc

Cheers Marc! I hope to enlarge my fleet of 37's and currently have 37207 "William Cookworthy", 37206 and 37181. All in BR Blue. (207 and 181 have Cornish lizzie the lizard emblems and 37185 will join the fleet once I get round to it). I am currently having 37196 "Tre Pol & Pen" being resprayed for me into railfreight grey, no red stripe.

Best regards,

Jeremy