Par Station & St Blazey Depot, 1980's Cornish Mainline in N scale

cornish trains jez

Hi, nice layout :), with the NR building, I would ask Craig when that was built as I'm not sure it existed in the 1980's.

Antony

Hi Antony,

I think the NR building was erected in 1984. I have been looking back at photos on various threads on here and on Flickr. It doesn't seem to appear in photos taken in 1983, but there is one taken July '84 which shows it. But you are right, Craig will be the best person to double check with.

Good evening everyone,

Progress has been slow on Par recently but this week has been a bit of a turn around and some good progress has been made.

The Peco code 55 track has been lifted (if anyone needs any Peco track, please PM me) and a card trackbed has been laid and a start on the easitrac.

attachicon.gifPA190001.JPG

attachicon.gifPA190002.JPG

The easitrac has been started, and what a difference it makes. there are two types of track in this location on the prototype. Bullhead rail and flat bottom rail, both of which are represented accurately on the model.

attachicon.gifPA200003.JPG

attachicon.gifPA200006.JPG

My first turnout designed using Templot. Thought I would go easy on myself and start with a Y turnout!! :laugh: :laugh:

attachicon.gifPA200004.JPG

Next up, I have made a start on the Network rail building. Having had issues with the signal box being a bit flimsey, I decided to build this building using 1.5mm thick plastic sheet so as to get a sturdy structure, using the usual corner reinforcers.

A shot of the real thing.

attachicon.gifDSC04999.JPG

And the model

attachicon.gifPA200008.JPG

attachicon.gifPA210009.JPG

attachicon.gifPA210011.JPG

Window frames have been put in over the course of the last few days, pictures to follow in the next post.

The signal box has had it's floor installed and the window frames are almost done.

Just waiting on some more easitrac to come through from the 2FS shop so that I can finish the track on this board and post a further update.

That's all for now, as always, any comments and tips are most welcome.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Regarding the templot. It appears that you have drawn two turnouts on top of each other. Any reason for this? The layout is certainly coming on though, makes me wanna get stuck in! As you say the finescale track will look cracking on my viaducts!!

Cav

A  photo that I took in 1984 which shows no  buildings in the old yard.

Ian

That's a cracking shot Ian!! I've never seen any photos taken from that angle. A useful shot actually too as it will help me detail the rear of the signal box. Thanks for posting. As to the NR building, I'm really confused now, it was definitely there in 1988 as I've been back through a few photos. I'll have to PM Craig I think!!

Regarding the templot. It appears that you have drawn two turnouts on top of each other. Any reason for this? The layout is certainly coming on though, makes me wanna get stuck in! As you say the finescale track will look cracking on my viaducts!!

Cav

I produced a size 1:5 left hand turnout and then adjusted to the curved crossover and then curved the turnout towards the right so that the stock rail bent outwards, which kind of produced a Y turnout. I got this tip from the Templot page on this forum. To be honest I struggle with templot so I am amazed that I actually was able to produce this!!! I'll see how it turns out.

Producing a single turnout is just apoint click and drag excercise. I was just confused that you had two differing sets of timbers on the drawing thats all. I was looking at some old pics of par earlier and spotted that it used to have 2 double slips. Now that would be fun!!

A couple more progress shots taken this lunchtime of the NR building. I have started to put the window and door frames in using microstrip. I will then cut some clear acetate pieces to fit the window apertures exactly and carefully fix into position with Klear. This should give a convincing result.

post-10222-0-14073600-1382618865.jpg

post-10222-0-73925100-1382618923.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 4

Producing a single turnout is just apoint click and drag excercise. I was just confused that you had two differing sets of timbers on the drawing thats all. I was looking at some old pics of par earlier and spotted that it used to have 2 double slips. Now that would be fun!!

I think double slips are a long way off for me! :laugh:  I found a button which twisted the sleepers so all I have to now is position the sleepers in the middle of the two drawn ones and it should look pretty alright.

Looking good. Is it all plasticard?

Yes, 1.5mm thick for the main structure. I'll probably use a thinner sheet for the soffets.

• RMweb Gold

That's a cracking shot Ian!! I've never seen any photos taken from that angle. A useful shot actually too as it will help me detail the rear of the signal box. Thanks for posting. As to the NR building, I'm really confused now, it was definitely there in 1988 as I've been back through a few photos. I'll have to PM Craig I think!!

Thanks

Taken from the rear of a class 117 as it left for Newquay.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure why I haven't commented on this before, because I have just spent a very enjoyable lunch hour reading through it! I also have a soft spot for the 80s in the West Country, and a model of Par is one of my one-day dreams!

This looks really good. The 2fs looks so much better than the Peco track (I'm writing this having just completed track laying with Peco!!) - I look forward to seeing it come together. It really shows the benefit of 2mm, full length trains and HSTs in a sensible space.

Do you have any more details on how you raised the bogie frames on the 37 - it make a big improvement and looks easier than lowering the bodyshell?

Just found this little gem of a photo showing 37207 at Par and the NR building is just visible in the background, under construction. Looks like the roof tiles are about to go on. Photo is dated 14th July 1984.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77541583@N00/8227042001/in/photolist-dwZJXK-dc18E6-dsMb2r-9nemxi-7QtjR5

Edited by cornish trains jez
  • Like 2

Good afternoon,

Not a huge amount of progress this week but I have managed to finish the window frames and fixed the roof into position. It was a nightmare getting the apex to fit so if anyone has any tips on building roofs it would be greatly appreciated as I'm not far off having to make the roof for the signal box.

Well, after a bit of filling and smoothing, the apex has come out ok. Onto the roof structure, I will fit thin strips of thin plasticard, overlapped, to represent the roof tiles. Also the soffits, facias and guttering will need to be cut out and fixed in. So still a bit to do.

Here are a few progress shots.

post-10222-0-23497200-1383232519.jpg

post-10222-0-80642000-1383232529.jpg

post-10222-0-13109800-1383232540.jpg

post-10222-0-79851900-1383232551.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 7

Just come across this,bit late I know. That CJM 50 NSE really really nice.Looking forward to seeing the progress with this.I had some early Farish but I agree a bit of a struggle on the eyes in the end. West Sussex eh! Can I come round and play when you've finished it?

Just come across this,bit late I know. That CJM 50 NSE really really nice.Looking forward to seeing the progress with this.I had some early Farish but I agree a bit of a struggle on the eyes in the end. West Sussex eh! Can I come round and play when you've finished it?

Thanks mate! The CJM 50's are absolute masterpieces, I'm hoping to add another to the fleet next year, funds permitting of course, or should I say, my wife permitting!! :laugh:

Of course you can round! I'm hoping to have the layout up and running over the Christmas period so PM me and we'll have a get together for a "playing with trains" session...it's been a while since I have had it operational so would be nice to run some trains again. I've got a few locos that I have bought and never even run yet!