Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Not surprisingly, it involves foamex! :)

I've just done a quick desktop test, and if I've got the patience  -it has legs :)

To quote Bollo..."I've gotta bad feelin' about dis"...

I am looking at the possibilities of Foamex meself. Look forward to seeing what you are up to, Lee!

cheers,

Iain

• Like 2

Right chaps, no takers for the forge, so if you don't want to be a farrier, then how about a farmer ?!

Anyway, here are the building plans and ground plan for a small compact and self contained farm that I'm sure you'll find room for somewhere in a vacant corner!

Good luck,need any help, just shout !

Allan

post-18579-0-89954500-1377025837_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-96143400-1377025876_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-92037700-1377025900_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-20712700-1377025921_thumb.jpg

Plans for the timber building as seen above in the ground plan were not included with the original drawings as the farm was a variation of a theme.

However, if you wished to include a timer barn as well, then the barn along with it's plans below will fit into the cheme of things just nicely.

Cheers

Allan.

post-18579-0-12630500-1377027049_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-72772300-1377027076_thumb.jpg

Talking of static grass, inbetween building models for corporate suited types who set ridiculous deadlines and then take months to pay me (rant alert!!) I have found time to do a little bit to my narrow gauge diorama in the past week or so.

I rebuilt the revetment (welsh:cei) from scribed Das, but Petra didn't like it and threatened me with all sorts of trouble if it wasn't done properly. So I built a new one out of individually laid Das blocks, cut from some strips that I had baked in the oven for 15 mins. These were cut roughly to size and then fixed with PVA. If you find that the stones are too large or too thick, it's easy enough to trim them with the knife. It made a very nice antidote to being shouted at by men in suits.

I started to lay track, but Paul (halfwit on RMweb) said that I would spoil it if I used Peco crazy track. So I've been researching how to make proper scale quarry track ...not easy. Its's something I see all the time, as I am down mines if I am not modelmaking lol so it has to be perfect. I am thinking of chucking it and starting again in 7mm as there are rail chairs available...I don't fancy making them in 4mm/ft.

Oh, and the grass is Auhagen and Heki static grass, puffed on with an old washing up bottle!

cheers,

Iain

attachicon.gifgwaethdy cei bach (640x480).jpg

under construction, Das stones halfway applied...

attachicon.gifCei bach (640x480).jpg

attachicon.gifCei bach 2 (640x480).jpg

CL outage: Iain its a wonderful piece of modelling, harder to do successfully than many structures IMHO. (Since when have I been humble!!!)

Regarding the track. I've come to a lot of compromise-decisions lately, in the light of getting something done, so you might dwell on the following: ~Crazy Track is nuts but if you were to swallow your pride and use it as a temporary expedient   you could bury it in gravel, weeds and grass, then you could get a few nice wagons on it and we would all love it. I've been looking into narrow-gauge myself recently, and - like everything else - there are purists who lay down the - correct - law. I wonder how many used Crazy Track in their early days?...

Regards,

Tony. (Now UCL - Ultra-Committed Lurk)

Edited by Brass0four

Allan 

have you ever considered that in the fullness of time, when we have all wandered off on our different paths, when ever anyone is reminded of you all they will think of is that windmill? Are you sure you wouldn't be better to keep throwing up a cathedral to scare off Iain, and stop us thinking all 'he' was  ever really capable of was a space alien windmill????   :swoon:                                :jester:  Plus every time I see a cathedral I find something else to admire......

Edited by Jaz

Allan 

have you ever considered that in the fullness of time, when we have all wandered off on our different paths, when ever anyone is reminded of you all they will think of is that windmill? Are you sure you wouldn't be better to keep throwing up a cathedral to scare off Iain, and stop us thinking all 'he' was  ever really capable of was a space alien windmill????   :swoon:                                :jester:  Plus every time I see a cathedral I find something else to admire......

That windmill was my pride and joy.

I bought it off Iain back in the 70's.

Plans for the timber building as seen above in the ground plan were not included with the original drawings as the farm was a variation of a theme.

However, if you wished to include a timer barn as well, then the barn along with it's plans below will fit into the cheme of things just nicely.

Cheers

Allan.

attachicon.gifIMG_0013.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0014.jpg

Been there-done that!

Steve

post-7312-0-86573100-1377031227.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I started to lay track, but Paul (halfwit on RMweb) said that I would spoil it if I used Peco crazy track. So I've been researching how to make proper scale quarry track ...not easy. Its's something I see all the time, as I am down mines if I am not modelmaking lol so it has to be perfect. I am thinking of chucking it and starting again in 7mm as there are rail chairs available...I don't fancy making them in 4mm/ft.

So what sort of track are you after, Iain? I can send you some 2mm finescale bits if you want some delicate looking track. Are we talking Penrhyn style chaired bullhead or spiked flatbottom track?

It'll be code 40 rail (1mm high) so possibly a bit too light for 4mm NG.

Mark

Edited by 2mmMark

Cheers

Allan.

attachicon.gifIMG_0013.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0014.jpg

I built this as part of my art course work in 1979. School liked it so much they kept it, never did go on a layout and i didn't get it back. i adapted the design to look more like an Essex barn of which there was one on the farm where my dad worked and we lived

• Like 2

So what sort of track are you after, Iain? I can send you some 2mm finescale bits if you want some delicate looking track. Are we talking Penrhyn style chaired bullhead or spiked flatbottom track?

It'll be code 40 rail (1mm high) so possibly a bit too light for 4mm NG.

Mark

Hi Mark,

thank you for the very kind offer. Most of the track at Cwt-y-Bugail, which is where the model is based upon, is spiked flat bottom rail, although I dug up (without disturbing it) some rail in the North Twll and there were some chaired lengths along with some later jubilee style track. So I think I would go with flat bottom...as you say, the rail would possibly be a little light at 1mm...but I need to go back up there and measure it to be sure. I will pop up this week weather permitting. I hadn't thought about the 2mm society, most interesting!

Thanks again for the offer of help, much appreciated...I will post on here when I make some progress.

cheers,

Iain

A typical bit of Cwt-y-Bugail track underground in level B

post-18033-0-47786900-1377076157.jpg

• Like 1

I often wondered Iain, just how important is the correct rail profile on a model - bullhead, flathead, all looks the same to me when ballasted and imprisoned in weeds !

Better still, just bury it in concrete....

Cheers.

Allan.

Yes, I know... it's only when you start to look in detail, then the detail starts to seem incredibly important...too important probably.  I'm fussy in this instance because the place is very special to me, it's where I first went underground...and it's only a few minutes up the road from where I live.

If I started to think about rail profiles in the local mines, there's bridge rail, T rail, bar rail and Hughes bar rail...not to mention flat bottom with only one side flat...it's a bit of a minefield. Some have chairs, some don't. As you say (and Petra agrees) it might be a good idea to bury it in weeds and slate waste so that only the tops are showing!

cheers,

Iain

sorry to butt in, but following Iain's superb revetment treatment back there, he gave me an idea, not novel, new or innovative, but it gave me a thought of how else to use my chosen medium - foamex...

so I took a piece of 3mm thick foamex, cut it into 2mm side strips, then cut these strips into blocks - glued them on to a scrap piece of foamex for backing, and built up a quick stone wall. I then grouted the stonework with tile adhesive, scraping it on with a spatula made from - you guessed it - another scrap piece of foamex, and scraped the excess away. 

There's still a bit left over, but that adds to the texture of the stone. The added feature of this technique is that cutting the foamex into strips and then turning them sideways reveals the grain other than the flat finish that I normally scribe onto.

post-15693-0-88674500-1377081950_thumb.jpgpost-15693-0-66671000-1377081951_thumb.jpg

The texture is a bit uniform at the moment, but a bit of fettling with a scalpel should add a bit more of a "stonelike" appearance..

I might try a quick paint job later on to see how that looks

Cheers

Lee

Edited by freebs
  • Like 1

sorry to butt in, but following Iain's superb revetment treatment back there, he gave me an idea, not novel, new or innovative, but it gave me a thought of how else to use my chosen medium - foamex...

so I took a piece of 3mm thick foamex, cut it into 2mm side strips, then cut these strips into blocks - glued them on to a scrap piece of foamex for backing, and built up a quick stone wall. I then grouted the stonework with tile adhesive, scraping it on with a spatula made from - you guessed it - another scrap piece of foamex, and scraped the excess away. 

There's still a bit left over, but that adds to the texture of the stone. The added feature of this technique is that cutting the foamex into strips and then turning them sideways reveals the grain other than the flat finish that I normally scribe onto.

attachicon.gif2013-08-21 11.20.33.jpgattachicon.gif2013-08-21 11.20.41.jpg

The texture is a bit uniform at the moment, but a bit of fettling with a scalpel should add a bit more of a "stonelike" appearance..

I might try a quick paint job later on to see how that looks

Cheers

Lee

That looks superb, Lee. Go on, get on with painting it! I want to see how it turns out!

cheers,

Iain