"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Ha ha! That is fantastic...the rockfaces alone are brilliant! Where and what and who is it??? Puts me in mind of the Gorre and Daphetid...

cheers,

Iain

Can't remember his name Iain, but it's claimed to be the biggest model railway in the world and the guy in the hat and that I thought was you (later I had to make a written apology...) built it and it started off in his basement, got out of hand, and had to move to bigger premises to house it and taking him `35 years to build it but not including the hat.

Cheers.

Allan.

OK guys, it's friday and time for another project - a timber yard - so hand in last weeks work on your way to the model shop !

Cheers.

Allan.

attachicon.gifIMG_0015.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0016.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0017.jpg

Hi Allan,

I particularly like this one. I was in the trade before I joined the Fire Service: Tom Swans in North Shields - which was also a builders merchant - and James Graham at Tyne Dock, who were purely timber, fed by ships from Russia and Scandinavia.

The first was fed by road from the docks; the second: ship to crane to large fork-lifts which fed the yards of the individual, riverside merchants - there were several, south of the Tyne. Tyne Dock wharfs were a mass of deserted rail-tracks, but would have been rail before the war and in the early fifties I imagine.

Otherwise - and importantly - they didn't change other than dust-chip extractors. They were used by workshops that reduced the delivered timber to the popular sizes and mouldings used in the building trade. Interestingly, Tom Swan didn't have one in the late sixties when I joined, but one was installed while I worked there. They would have become a requirement according to Health and Safety legislation in 1975.

The storage buildings were exactly the same as drawn. Swans had a row of about four units this size; Graham's had acres of the ruddy things. I remember doing stock-checks in the winter, having to scrape the snow and ice from the timber ends which were marked, most often in red, with their source and type. I've never been so cold, before or since! (These were days before the now common "technical" weather clothing) A donkey-jacket was IT!

I would certainly model such a unit that had abandoned, weedy rails, now serviced by road. And might very well do so...

- but not yet! (I don't need anymore unfinished projects! ;-))

Tony.

Edited by Brass0four
  • Like 1

Pay day in the Robinson household (note the cheap catologue trousers)

attachicon.gifone-million-pounds.jpg

Professional Modelmaking...the poor man's "Breaking Bad". With Allan as Heisenberg and Cyril Freezer as Hank, the drug enforcement cop. I guess I am OK with being Jesse, I've got youth on my side...not.

like, cheers man,

Iain

edited for spelling...hands tired from counting dollars.

Edited by Iain C Robinson

Hi Allan,

I particularly like this one. I was in the trade before I joined the Fire Service: Tom Swans in North Shields - which was also a builders merchant - and James Graham at Tyne Dock, who were purely timber, fed by ships from Russia and Scandinavia.

The first was fed by road from the docks; the second: ship to crane to large fork-lifts which fed the yards of the individual, riverside merchants - there were several, south of the Tyne. Tyne Dock wharfs were a mass of deserted rail-tracks, but would have been rail before the war and in the early fifties I imagine.

Otherwise - and importantly - they didn't change other than dust-chip extractors. They were used by workshops that reduced the delivered timber to the popular sizes and mouldings used in the building trade. Interestingly, Tom Swan didn't have one in the late sixties when I joined, but one was installed while I worked there. They would have become a requirement according to Health and Safety legislation in 1975.

The storage buildings were exactly the same as drawn. Swans had a row of about four units this size; Graham's had acres of the ruddy things. I remember doing stock-checks in the winter, having to scrape the snow and ice from the timber ends which were marked, most often in red, with their source and type. I've never been so cold, before or since! (These were days before the now common "technical" weather clothing) A donkey-jacket was IT!

I would certainly model such a unit that had abandoned, weedy rails, now serviced by road. And might very well do so...

- but not yet! (I don't need anymore unfinished projects! ;-))

Tony.

I wonder if you took any photographs, Tony. Please????? It sounds brilliant. I recall in a RM in 2003 there was a layout set on the Tyne with a shipyard loosely modelled on Doxford's Pallion yard...now that would be something I would like to model!

cheers,

Iain

I wonder if you took any photographs, Tony. Please????? It sounds brilliant. I recall in a RM in 2003 there was a layout set on the Tyne with a shipyard loosely modelled on Doxford's Pallion yard...now that would be something I would like to model!

cheers,

Iain

Sorry Iain, I didn't,

back then I was cash-strapped to say the least! SLRs cost the earth, and while it was possible to take photographs with a Brownie 127(sp?) I didn't. Later I did the black-and-white developing negs-in-pot thing, but not then.

I've lately been enjoying searching for Leeds Copely Hill Shed pics on flikr - with some success! - you can be sure something of the sort you need will exist amongst the many thousands of old B&W pics online.

Tony.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Saw dust, baggin up wood chipppings ARRHH...... Iwas really enjoying this thread up untill now!

I wish there was time this weekend to make that timber yard it looks terrific. Instead I'll be sanding up MDF all day and emptying my dust extractor. :banghead:

Edited by Sasquatch

Hi Tony.

Ever stood at the end of a planer bagging up chippings ?!! - Guildford,1957, ten quid a week for Perrins of West Horsley who sold 'em for chicken litter.

Cheers.

Allan.

Yes! Seven-quid a week at Tom Swans! :D LOL I went to James Graham for twelve-quid a week - I was head-hunted! (You're talking impoverished Tyneside in the sixties...

Iain C Robinson, please note.

The missus has just persuaded me to set up a workshop and build a small layout in the spare bedroom.I will be starting this at the end of summer.

Do not take this warning lightly - the Colron Kid is back!!!

Nooooooooooo! Runs towards nearest mine adit!

Seriously, this is great news and good on yer missus, she's a topper.

I am so looking forward to the end of summer. So that I can beat you, of course...

cheers,

Iain

• Like 1

Iain C Robinson, please note.

The missus has just persuaded me to set up a workshop and build a small layout in the spare bedroom.I will be starting this at the end of summer.

Do not take this warning lightly - the Colron Kid is back!!!

Wonderful! A great many people will be looking forward to this!

Tony.