"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

• RMweb Premium

Iain C Robinson, please note.

The missus has just persuaded me to set up a workshop and build a small layout in the spare bedroom.I will be starting this at the end of summer.

Do not take this warning lightly - the Colron Kid is back!!!

We do hope that you will be doing an indepth tread on here warts and all. Can't wait!

Saw dust, baggin up wood chipppings ARRHH...... Iwas really enjoying this thread up untill now!

I wish there was time this weekend to make that timber yard it looks terrific. Instead I'll be sanding up MDF all day and emptying my dust extractor. :banghead:

Sorry, Shaun, but it is the perfect model. Even I'm getting excited by it but I've way too much else to do.

Tony.

We do hope that you will be doing an indepth tread on here warts and all. Can't wait!

A "thread" even! Freudian slip, Shaun.

Yes, me too.

I've already made a deal with Petra to build the buildings for me.That way Iain won't stand a chance!

Allan.

Does Iain know she's been moonlighting for you off and on over the years?

(I'm under the missus' cosh for the rest of the day. I'm in severe time-debit following the last couple of days! - so I'm not being rude if I don't respond at once over anything. Sheeesh! lol )

Does Iain know she's been moonlighting for you off and on over the years?

(I'm under the missus' cosh for the rest of the day. I'm in severe time-debit following the last couple of days! - so I'm not being rude if I don't respond at once over anything. Sheeesh! lol )

She is indeed quite a craftswoman in her own right. She repairs my specs when I sit on them or knock them off underground and today bought herself a secondhand flute for spare parts to mend her old one. Her workbench is a mass of flute parts now...I got a telling off for eyeing the bits for use in an oil refinery model... so it's no surprise she's been sub-contracting work from that Downes cowboy.

Stop press...the flute is repaired

cheers,

Iain

• Like 1

I wonder if you took any photographs, Tony. Please????? It sounds brilliant. I recall in a RM in 2003 there was a layout set on the Tyne with a shipyard loosely modelled on Doxford's Pallion yard...now that would be something I would like to model!

cheers,

Iain

Iain,

Your shipyard experience would be a huge help atmosphere-wise and we all know that is what's really important; otherwise its really quite simple, visually. Imagine ships, low in the water, timber stacked high in belted batches - not unlike a modern container ship - surrounded by cranes (old style ones rusty and being dismantled by scrap merchants who've purchased them via sealed bribes, woops! I mean bids; newer cranes quite clean, but rusting quickly in the briny air) lorries and large fork-lifts; standards of timber on pallets - flat-bed lorry size. Weedy, rusty track; abandoned trucks with gardens growing out of 'em; greasy setts and cracked concrete, etc. YOU could easily paint the back-scene, model a half-hull/low-relief ship, etc. Its a Mind-Image which you, of all people, have got in spades!

Sorry this is in a hurry, but I can see a classic Robinson grot-yard with balsa-clean timber, etc.,

Tony.

Tony.

• Like 1

Iain,

Your shipyard experience would be a huge help atmosphere-wise and we all know that is what's really important; otherwise its really quite simple, visually. Imagine ships, low in the water, timber stacked high in belted batches - not unlike a modern container ship - surrounded by cranes (old style ones rusty and being dismantled by scrap merchants who've purchased them via sealed bribes, woops! I mean bids; newer cranes quite clean, but rusting quickly in the briny air) lorries and large fork-lifts; standards of timber on pallets - flat-bed lorry size. Weedy, rusty track; abandoned trucks with gardens growing out of 'em; greasy setts and cracked concrete, etc. YOU could easily paint the back-scene, model a half-hull/low-relief ship, etc. Its a Mind-Image which you, of all people, have got in spades!

Sorry this is in a hurry, but I can see a classic Robinson grot-yard with balsa-clean timber, etc.,

Tony.

Tony.

Thank you, Tony...I agree, it ticks all the boxes for me! You paint a very persuasive picture and I am finding it very tempting....

cheers,

Iain

She is indeed quite a craftswoman in her own right. She repairs my specs when I sit on them or knock them off underground and today bought herself a secondhand flute for spare parts to mend her old one. Her workbench is a mass of flute parts now...I got a telling off for eyeing the bits for use in an oil refinery model... so it's no surprise she's been sub-contracting work from that Downes cowboy.

Stop press...the flute is repaired

cheers,

Iain

One tale always leeds to another.

A while back now, I needed a cupola for a large city building and after an intense search in the then wife's handbag and kitchen cupboards, I found two of them - both the perfect size, both belonging to the wifes bedside alarm clock, so I removed one and left the other hoping she would never notice.

One day six months later, and completely out of nowhere, she asked "Could you take a look at my alarm clock because ever since you built that town hall, it goes 'Ding, nothing, ding nothing', and while you're at it, can I have the foot of my sewing machine back ?"

Cheers.

Allan.

The missus has just persuaded me to set up a workshop and build a small layout in the spare bedroom.I will be starting this at the end of summer.

Well done that lady! You have no excuse for forgetting the wedding anniversary now Allan!

Bill

In my wilder youth and really living on the edge, I went to Tesco's with my wife not to shop in the truer sense of the word, but to inspect the womens perfume and deodorant department for bottle tops - and if you're up to speed with perfume and deodorant bottle tops you will know that they come in a large and varied assortment of shapes and sizes and particulary usefull for ornate building fixtures.

However, now fully loaded and with my pockets bulging with bottle tops, I was stopped by a tame gorilla at the doors on the way out and asked to empty my pockets while the wife just walked on denying that she had ever seen me before in her life, muttered something like "Lock him up, I would" - then left me to explain what I was doing with two pockets full of bottle tops and before I got even half way through explaining why and what I wanted them for, he just gave up and said " Look, just put 'em all back cos I ain't gonna stand up in court and  repeat all what you have just told me and expect 'em to believe me !" 

Big Al'.

I'm a bit late with this response, but I definitely cannot wait to see some new output from the legendary Mr Downes :)

Might I ask, Allan, is this plan a result of enthusiasm generated within this forum? I'd like to think it was.

Tony.

Yes, and not just Iain's work which is enough inspirarion on it's own, but other members work and I feel I'm going to really struggle against some of the stuff I've seen on this Thread alone.

There's also another source of inspiration and that is a little gem of a narrow guage layout on YMC called 'Crackington Quay' and it was seeing this that really got me hooked and I hope to be able to do something along the same lines - about 6'6" x 2'6 " and the size of a flush door which I'll build it on, light, strong, and warp free  and -  NO deadlines -  YAY !!

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 1

'small layout' - what'll it be; a shunting plank in 7mm or round the room in 2mm ?!?! 

Neither, a roundy roundy in 7mil NG contained on a flush door - silly little engines, crazy track and points, gallons of Colron, and possibly a cathedral just to annoy Iain !

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 2

Yes, and not just Iain's work which is enough inspirarion on it's own, but other members work and I feel I'm going to really struggle against some of the stuff I've seen on this Thread alone.

There's also another source of inspiration and that is a little gem of a narrow guage layout on YMC called 'Crackington Quay' and it was seeing this that really got me hooked and I hope to be able to do something along the same lines - about 6'6" x 2'6 " and the size of a flush door which I'll build it on, light, strong, and warp free  and -  NO deadlines -  YAY !!

Cheers.

Allan.

Wah hey! Narrow gauge indeed! Now this will be good. That's us both building narrow gauge empires in small spaces...although mine will be 009 to punish my beady little eyes.

As for being an inspiration, especially to the master...no, I can't get my head round that one. Thanks for the compliment, though Allan.

I second Alant's comment, by the way. So long as it doesn't have a windmill...

cheers,

Iain

Was thinking Bachmann 0-4-0 0n3 Porters, Peco NG coach sides and whatever for the wagons Iain - Narrow gauge eh, anything goes !

Twice round the houses anyway and I'll probably get bored of it and buy a barn, build St Pacras.....then get bored with that !

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 2

Good choice Allan. You can have so much more fun with narrow gauge! Have you ever seen  Crumley and Little Wick Hill? http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/63231-roth-valley-tramway-crumley-and-little-wickhill/

I've just seen it, Shaun... I feel ill. I think Allan and Iain might well be amused by it, too.

Tony.

(Sheesh! - why bother)

• RMweb Premium

The best thing about it is the viewing angle not to mention the Faller car system which drives the lorry and bus, they share that little bridge with the trains! 

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

Things have gone a bit quiet lately and, of course, you've all been building the Mill and Farm so naturaly it's to be expected sez he with tongue in cheek.

So, here is this weekend's delight - Ye Olde Village Forge, with aditional roof detail influenced by Robinsons hair.

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-27215500-1377796682_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-92740700-1377796704_thumb.jpg

• Like 1