Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

I bet if you un-blurred that background in Photoshop Allan, you'd spot at least a dozen good-old-boys taking aim!

Right! Chicken for tea methinks!

Bill

Yeh Bill, and with rocket launchers no less !

Bloody trigger happy lot those yankee 'big time hunters'

But the good news is, is that during the hunting season they shoot more of each other than they do game - and many idiots go crashing into the Apalachian forrests running a mortally wounded squirrel to ground, get lost and are never seen again !

But even better news still is that they reckon most who do get lost get eaten by bears when they run out bullets, burgers and Budwieser  !!!

Allan.

• Like 2

And the Delaware "Action For Animals" reports -

ANIMALS KILLED FOR SPORT/FASHION:
Hunting

hunting.gif

There once was a time when most Americans needed to hunt to put food on the table, but hunting today is a recreational pastime, and worse: waterfowl, pheasant, and dove hunting are no more than shooting at living targets. Some hunting is done solely to acquire trophies or to see who can kill the most; some are no more than shooting tame, confined animals. Brutally inhumane weapons such as the bow and arrow are increasingly used. In all cases, sport hunting inflicts undeniable cruelty—pain, trauma, wounding, and death—on living, sentient creatures. Most civilized and caring people will believe that causing suffering and death is by definition inhumane, regardless of method.

More than 100 million animals are reported killed by hunters each year. That number does not include the millions of animals for which kill figures are not maintained by state wildlife agencies.

• RMweb Premium

After the snows here I have got lost in my own backyard looking for one of my dogs who keep taking off into the woods to bring back bits of rotting deer that some @$$#o!* has left behind.

It all looks the same in there.

America has declared war on deer due to their over population and the danger to traffic. We can never drive to town (about 7-8 miles) without seeing a few deer.

I say slow down and learn to drive! 

Two hunters are out in the woods when one of them collapses. He doesn't seem to be breathing and his eyes are glazed. The other guy whips out his phone and calls the emergency services. He gasps, "My friend is dead! What can I do?" The operator says "Calm down. I can help. First, let's make sure he's dead." There is a silence, then a gun shot is heard. Back on the phone, the guy says "OK, now what?"[

And why are we not suprised? The real killers: American trophy hunters drive African lions closer to extinction

By Daily Mail Reporter

UPDATED: 14:37, 2 March 2011

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

View

comments

African lions are being driven towards extinction by American hunters determined to bag trophies, wildlife organisations have warned.

The lions, already threatened by conflict with farmers over land and by shrinking habitats, are being driven to the brink by the increasing demand from the U.S. for personal trophies, such as lion skins, and a growing trade in animal parts.

Jeff Flocken, of the International Fund for Animal Welfare, said: 'The king of the jungle is heading toward extinction, and yet Americans continue to kill lions for sport. It is time for this senseless killing and unsustainable practice to stop.'

article-0-01BD6D190000044D-345_468x296.j

The king under threat: demand for hunting trophies in the U.S. is driving the African lion towards extinction

A coalition of wildlife organisations has petitioned the White House to list the African lion as an endangered species and ban the import of hunting trophies such as skins, claws and skulls, which can sell for thousands of dollars.

The coalition, which includes IFAW, the Humane Society of the United States, Humane Society International, Born Free and Defenders of Wildlife, said that two-thirds of the lions hunted for sport were taken to the U.S. in the past 10 years.

They said that at least 5,663 lions were traded for recreation between 1998 and 2008, with 64 percent of the resulting trophies being imported into America.

There were up to 200,000 lions in Africa 100 years ago, said the coalition. That figure has now fallen to between 23,00 and 40,000, with lions extinct in 26 countries.

The practice is made worse by the hunters' desire to bag a dominant male, according to a report in The Guardian. The death of the leader makes the pride unstable, with the new dominant male often killing all the cubs to preserve his position. Mr Flocken said: 'The countries that allow hunting have the worst drops in lion populations.'

Hunters are by no means the only threat. The human population in Afria, especially in sub-Saharan Africa, is growing rapidly and could hit 1.75 billion by 2050. Wilderness areas are being encroached upon to make room for agriculture and to build roads – such as the controversial highway across the Serengeti.

Some conservationists argue that a total ban on hunting is unnecessary. They claim that responsible hunting could in some instances help lion populations by conserving  wilderness areas

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1362124/The-real-killers-American-trophy-hunters-drive-African-lions-closer-extinction.html#ixzz2nvu7gN1s

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Just landed on the city desk

In the early hours of this morning an African lion ate an American hunter alive from his boots up as his wife, wearing their latest kill, a full grown male leopard , stood by helpless and told the press that " it was such a naughty pussems to have done such a thing like that, Chuck only wanted a trophy for the kids bedroom, they ought to make it ilegal for lions to eat Americans like that "

Edited by allan downes

I've just received an email from one of my 3D model suppliers which is headed:

Nothing Says Merry Christmas Like Morphing Pantyhose

It appears there are going to be some very surprised ladies out there on the 25th!

I wonder what Nora Batty would make of it all?

Bill :O :o :O :o :O :scared:

Edited by Mythocentric

Iain / Alan

Any updated pictures to offer us as an Xmas Present?

Sorting some out for 25th would be acceptable. ;p

Sorry Jaz, nothing at the moment, but Iain's been very quiet lately so don't be suprised if he suddenly springs a masterpiece on us all !

Anyway, here's the latest plans for the new year.

I've decided to give Wills/Slaters stone sheets a rest and go back to humble beginnings - home made stonewall press, Pyrunma fire cement baked in microwave but I will seal it all with superthin superglue and that way it will never break down and ,of course, Colron.

I have already ordered the materials on line for making the stone press  which are namely - plasticene in which to produce the master, and liquid resin to produce the press.

The missus bought a drawer unit on the top of which I will build a small diorama - a couple of chocolate box cottages facing each other across a babbling brook with a small humped back bridge spanning it in the background - then when everyone's oo ahed it enough, flog it to Robinson.

Cheers.

Allan.

Allan's master pieces are always worth the wait, fantastic stuff. Sounds like real back to basics stuff.

I really enjoyed building the cottage on the challenge thread because the methods took me back to how I started years ago, extracting ideas from photos etc as well as using Allan's suggested dimensions in the Oct 77 MRC all knocked up in card, DAS and Scalescenes paper. If I didn't have it already I either made it or did something else. The only concession was Wills pantiles as I haven't found a better way of representing them easily.

In the new year I'm going to build a small industry for the other side of the line. Again a view blocker I've already found inspiration; a fantastic old flint barn in Brancaster Staithe, Norfolk and I built and painted the Wills workshop set some years ago. Looking forward to it, been waiting for printer ink so I can print the scalescenes paper.

I'm not sure I'd want scrambled eggs in that microwave after he's been baking pyrunma!

• Like 2

When my son was just a kid his dream was to be a modelmaker " just like that Robinson man dad that writes better than you" and here are the results - watch cogs cut out of cardbaord for heavens sake !!

http://miniaturesbyshane.blogspot.co.uk/

To click the like button isn't enough, those models are superb, you must be a proud Dad!

When he was about eight years old Iain, and depite all my discouragement as your number one (only) fan,he made the cab of an American Kenelworth truck, open and exposing the engine, all out of postcards in what would have been  then the equivelent to Z gauge.

I then banned him from reading the Railway Modeller and any work by Iain C Robinson in particular where instead he lost himself in my stash of Playboy mags that he found under his granddads bed  and has been playing with the prototypes ever since !

Cheers.

Allan.

If he joins this thread I'm outta here! Two master craftsmen is one thing...but three?

Seriously though Allan, you must be a very proud dad and you've every right to be!

I've actually seen Shane's blog before and always been duly impressed (and not a little awestruck!). I've no idea why the penny didn't drop!

Move over Chuck. There's a new kid in town!

Regards

Bill

How many brains will explode this Christmas while trying to make sense of the Internet ?

Right now mine's on self destruct countdown as the result of searching for an old friend.

Enter name:

Enter full address and telephone number:

That will cost you 15 quid, we take Visa, mastercard etc.

Must go, the paramedics have just arrived.