Hornby/Arnold 'Brighton Belle' - price and delivery date confirmed.

Andy Y

In addition the Pullman crests on the driving car fronts are larger on the 1960s version, the wording of the second class cars is shown as "Car No." (dropping the "Third Class on the earlier version) and the units are numbered in the 305x series (as againt the 205x series on the earlier version).

Keith

Additionally in the mid- to late-50s the bogies were modified from the original 'Dutch' equalising-beam type to a more conventional sprung type in order to alleviate rough-riding. All the 1932 main-line stock received this modification, which had a limited amount of success. The Hornby OO gauge 1960s Pullman and 1969 Blue/Grey, and Hornby/Arnold N gauge 1969 Blue/Grey models do not appear to reflect this change...

The renumbering was done in January 1937; the wording modification in 1950. The crest changes stemmed from the Pullman Company body refurbishment in 1955/56 (the SR, and later BR(S) were responsible for everthing below the solebar and in the driving cabs, the Pullman Company for everything else - hence the body refurbishment and bogie/mechanical overhauls being done at different times)  and Third Class was rebranded Second Class in 1956.

Edit: On re-reading the 'Belle' section in David Brown's "Southern Electric - A New History" Vol 2 I discovered that the elongated end and side Pullman Crests (which were based on the examples applied to the 'Blue Pullmans') were only applied to 3051 and 3052 from 'about 1960' until the application of the dreaded SYP in 1966.

Brown and cream one ordered Friday 10/10, arrived here in California via DHL (free of charge, no less!) on Monday 13/10.  That is simple superb and Hornby are to be commended.

I don't need this model, the couplers are still very fiddly for me and it's not my "era" nor is it from a geographic area I have much interest in.  But it is absolutely gorgeous to see and a pleasure to run!  Thank goodness for Rule 1.

Matt

I ordered mine on 8th October for delivery to France and still haven't received it. When I hadn't received even an order confirmation email I rang Hornby on 14th October who informed me it had been dispatched on 10th (why two days to dispatch?) and it should be with me by 15th. It is now the 17th October and I still have received nothing!

Perhaps I should blame the lack of enthusiasm on the 20% discount voucher I used, the one given to me following the fiasco last Christmas with the Hornby internet sale!

I haven't even been provided with a tracking number to see how far it has got.

• RMweb Premium

[quote name="Matabiau" post="1628999" timestamp="1413564409" I hadn't received even an order confirmation email I rang Hornby on 14th October who informed me it had been dispatched on 10th (why two days to dispatch?) and it should be with me by 15th. It is now the 17th October and I still have received nothing!

Hi

It might be to do with the volume of orders. Just because you ordered on the 8th it doesn't mean you are the first in the list.

Cheers

Paul

I was  quite  impressed  with  my  2  5BEL deliveries  the  1st one preordered was delivered approx 39 hours after  I  read  the eMail  from  Hornby  advising that  the Pullman livery variant  had  been received by  them,  and   my 2nd one  was delivered  less than 24  hours  after  I placed the online order1

For info,   I was 'playing'  with  mine  last evening  and  I tested  the haulage capacity of 1 5 BEL unit  and  found  that an additional 8  mark 1 coaches  proved to be  no problem, although in normal use  this  scenario  wont be nescessary! :nono:

Has anyone worked out how the electricals between the coaches work?

It would be nice if the table lights could be turned off indepedently of the head and cab lights as would happen on an ECS movement.

MIne arrived on schedule (1934 model), the only challenge being to work out which of my neighbours had it! As I also had some other parcels arrive on exactly the same day, I ended up looking like a courier as I was ambling around going door to door looking for the Belle!

I did find that some of the wheels didn't appear to be correctly inserted in the bogies, a problem that was rectified easily... Once on the track it left me gawping for a good twenty minutes as I watched it going round...

Thanks,

Friso

• RMweb Gold

Today I was going ot take my 5BEL on a tour through California with a UP loco dragging it on Santa Barbara.

However it just would not run properly with intermitten power so the lights would keep flickering on and off.

So this evening back at home I had a look at the power car.

A broken wire that is soldered to the bogie pick ups was the culprit.

The bogie side frames unclip whihc allowed me to very carefully solder the wire back on. The pcik up is only plastic riveted on so you really have to be carefull with the soldering iron.

All working fine now.

Ian

Has anyone worked out how the electricals between the coaches work?

It would be nice if the table lights could be turned off indepedently of the head and cab lights as would happen on an ECS movement.

MIne arrived on schedule (1934 model), the only challenge being to work out which of my neighbours had it! As I also had some other parcels arrive on exactly the same day, I ended up looking like a courier as I was ambling around going door to door looking for the Belle!

I did find that some of the wheels didn't appear to be correctly inserted in the bogies, a problem that was rectified easily... Once on the track it left me gawping for a good twenty minutes as I watched it going round...

Thanks,

Friso

I dont  think it  would be  easily possible  to  isolate the table  lights due to the compact  size of the internals of the power car,   In digital mode it is  still not possible to switch of the  lights  EXCEPT  for  the  cab lights  which  are controlable by F0 ( the  normal lighting  function number)

Hi

It might be to do with the volume of orders. Just because you ordered on the 8th it doesn't mean you are the first in the list.

Cheers

Paul

I have just spoken to Hornby, they are having problems with their email system so many of the order confirmations are not being sent out. Apparently my 5BEL has been waiting at the delivery centre near where I live but without the confirmation email I was unable to track the parcel to know this! I'm not having much luck with Hornby's online operation.

I have just spoken to Hornby, they are having problems with their email system so many of the order confirmations are not being sent out. Apparently my 5BEL has been waiting at the delivery centre near where I live but without the confirmation email I was unable to track the parcel to know this! I'm not having much luck with Hornby's online operation.

I recvd  emails from Hornby for both my 5 BEL despatches, unfortunately  the  body of the  email was unreadable however  the  heading  stated ' re  your  order' so a quick phone call to  Hornby cust  services  confirmed  despatch, and deliveries were  recvd the next day

• 4 weeks later...

Has this thread gone quiet because everyone is happy with their purchases? As the first entry into British N I think that the Arnold 5BEL has been a real success. My two run smoothly and reliably with steady lighting wherever the trains are on the layout. I wonder how many have been sold so far?

It will be interesting to see whether the February 2015 new item announcements from Arnold include another British outline model put through the Hornby shrinkray.

Has this thread gone quiet because everyone is happy with their purchases? As the first entry into British N I think that the Arnold 5BEL has been a real success. My two run smoothly and reliably with steady lighting wherever the trains are on the layout. I wonder how many have been sold so far?

It will be interesting to see whether the February 2015 new item announcements from Arnold include another British outline model put through the Hornby shrinkray.

Yes  I  think  everyone  is  very  pleased  with  their  5  BELs  Thats  Arnold  Quality  for  you!!

I have  2  here  running  digitally  very  smooth, and silky!

I believe  stocks  are  running  low  only  the  B/G  ones  left  now.

It will be  interesting  to see if  Hornby  pursues  UK  N gauge  and  if  so  what  might  it  be   another Southern  EMU, that  would  be  very  welcome, as  would  a  6 car  TransPennine  Express DMU.

According to a post on the NGF Facebook page, they are available off-the-shelf at the Chester Model Centre...

Looking  at Chester  M  Centre  website  they  do  show  both  variants in  stock, @£199.99,  I know  someone  who  would  like 2  Pullman livery ones  but  when  altering  quantity  to  2  it  reverts  back  to 1  ( same with  the  Blue/Grey one) 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived