Hornby/Arnold 'Brighton Belle' - price and delivery date confirmed.

Andy Y

Well  I  got  a  few  spare  minutes  and  managed  to  inspect  the  power car  &   unpowered DMBT.  Superb  items

Tested  on analogue  runs  smoothly as expected  from  Arnold  products.

Decided to digitize it tonight  so have  attched  some  pics showing  the power  car  with body removed,  the  flywheels  are  blackenend  so  dont  show up immediately on pics,  the  cardan shaft drive to  the  bogie  gear  towers  are visible.

Removing  body: there  are 2  retaining  points  per  side approx  30mm from each  end, work on one  side gently parting the body from the  chassis slip in a small piece of paper in the  cap to prevent body side  re-engaging  the  chassis  and  repeat  with  the  other  side,  the  chassis then  just  slips  out. 

Decoder  plug clearly visible  and  easily  accessable  pin one is indicated in one of my pics  by the  black  blob on the  decoder!!

The  body  simply  clips  back  very  easily,  I would say  this  is  one  of  the  easiest  N  Gauge items  I  have  fitted  a  decoder into and  would  estimate  that  it  would take  less than  10 mins to  do  from  start  to  finish.

I tested   with an  unpowered car , I   found  that  the  couplings  presented  no problem  just  a  case  of  lining  up the 3 pins with  the   3  holes in  the  'female' socket, uncoupling  was  easy  just make sure  that they  are parted in a  straight line and  not  angled..

If  any one  from  Hornby  reeads  this  i  would  like  to  add my  congratulations  ffor  a  job  well done,  Lets  have  more  of  the  same please!!

a

post-10539-0-46406600-1412885549.jpg

post-10539-0-90440600-1412885556.jpg

post-10539-0-28412700-1412885566.jpg

post-10539-0-36199500-1412885577.jpg

post-10539-0-35618800-1412885591.jpg

post-10539-0-33408200-1412885601.jpg

A poster on the N Gauge Forum a day or two ago stated that Hornby had already sold 400 of these sets.  Does anyone know if that is correct?  If it is, I'm thrilled for Horby and for what it may mean for N scale modelers.

Matt

All I can confirm is that Hornby publicly stated that in an email i.e. their newsletter. So that would be true. I doubt they will lie about that.

Got mine yesterday, 5 car cream and umber set, predictably worth the wait. Cosmetically and detail-wise I find it gorgeous; the illuminated numbers in tiny dots on front and back look particularly cool. Runs like a swiss watch and the slow start/stop capability is awesome. My only niggle would be the electrical couplings which require great patience, delicacy and restraint to fix together.  Out of four coupling points, it was only possible to manage one by pushing the couplings together with the coaches on the track. I had to remove the remainder and do them on the work-bench which, given the detail on offer and the delicacy of the four pin connectors, filled me with trepidation and took a good ten minutes.From a purely personal, customer/user point of view I love it and hope for more from Arnold. It's so good, in fact, that it might keep me happy until Dapol release the N gauge Schools class. Good grief, a pig just flew past the window.

PD49

Once  you  have  got  used  to  the  couplings  they  present  no  problem,  I have  used  this  type of  electrical  connecting  coupling on other continental units, If you  have  problems obtain a couple of  miniature  long  nosed  pliers ( my Local  Mold  market  sell them  £1 per  pair) and  use  these  to line  up  the  pins & socket to  couple  and  also useful  for  uncoupling  also.

Measuring  up recently  and  Ii actually  worked  out  I could  accomodate  a 9 car  unit  and   the  service  was  occasionally run  as  a  9 BEL  when individual cars  were removed from tthe  sets  for attention.   Somewhere  I have  a phot  of  a 9 BEL  which  I will try  to  find!

I know the one - page 44 of "A Southern Electric Album" by Michael Welch...

I'm seriously considering constructing a 'carry case' for my unit so I don't have to keep coupling and uncoupling it...

I know  a  couple  of  guys  why  have  trouble  wwith  their  00 4CEPS  and  they  use a  piece  of  plastic  pipe  ( ex  B&Q  etc) into  which  the  have   screwed a length  of 1/4" timber  strip onto  which  they  slide  the   4  car  emu for  storage  and  transportation,  seems  to  work  OK  ( they  bung up the  ends  with  large  corks ( but   I have  no idea  where  they  got them  from!

must admit  I  have  coupled  and  uncouple  my  Arnold 5BEL a few  times  now and  find  it easy,

• RMweb Gold

I havent tried coupling mine together just yet. I have fitted a decoder and today it will get a run on Banbury. Looking at the coupling system I suspect that once its been coupled and uncoupled a number of times and they 'wear in'  it will get easier to do

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I have had one under test for a review and have coupled and uncoupled it several times now with no real problems.

I did find some derailing issues with one of the trailer cars, but after dismantling found this was down to the interior becoming unclipped "inside" the vehicle and not retaining the couplerm; once addressed running is faultless.

One question for those more knowledgeable about the Southern than I:   there have been comments on the N Gauge forum that when coupled up the first parlours are not orientated correctly.  Is this correct?

cheers

Ben A.

One question for those more knowledgeable about the Southern than I:   there have been comments on the N Gauge forum that when coupled up the first parlours are not orientated correctly.  Is this correct?

cheers

Ben A.

Don't know if this is of any use from page 7:

As long as you assemble the unit in the correct order: Car No 88, 'Hazel', 'Doris', Car No 86, Car No.89. The shallower window (the kitchen) on the two first class cars should be next to the neighbouring 3rd class car. How difficult is it to remove the bodies, because from the look of the couplings the unit will only assemble correctly with the driving cars the opposite end to where they should be...

Looking at the couplings in the picture, rotating 'Hazel' 180 degrees will couple it to 'Doris', and the kitchens will be in the correct places. Car No 86 will couple correctly to 'Doris', however, only Car No 88 will couple to Car No 86, when it should be Car No 89. Swapping either the two First Class bodies, or the two Driving car bodies should resolve the issue. I'll wait until I get my greasy mitts on the Umber/Cream version I have on order before deciding which option is the easier...

... and from page 8...

Investigate swapping coach bodies to get them in the right order as the only way I could couple the cars together was Car no 88, 'Doris', 'Hazel', Car no 86, Car no 89 (see post #171). Removed body of 'Hazel' by unclipping one end, running thumbnails down between body and chassis and the other end popped off. Same for 'Doris' and put bodies back on the other chassis. Reassemble and test OK. :good: :D

Re  the  Blue  Grey  5  BEL  can   any one  who  has  purchased  one  please  advise the   working  of  the Route indicator  panels,

Do they  stay illuminated   at  each  end  displaying  the  number 4,   OR does  the  trailing one  show  a  red aspect? 

(for info  the Pullman 1934  version  displays 2    illuminated  panels regardless of  direction)

Thanks

The Blue Grey one shows 4 both ways no red light at the rear. Cab light goes out at the trailing end.

Thanks  MIKE........I was  wondering  if  they  were  set  up the  same  way  as  the  Hornby 00  blue  grey version  which  shows  Red  at  the  trailing  end,

I am thinking  of ordering  another  one to  go  with my Pullman livery one and  was  considering  mixing  the  eras  a  bit  more and  ordering  a  blue/grey one!

Whilst  they still have  stocks  left.

Brown and cream one ordered Friday 10/10, arrived here in California via DHL (free of charge, no less!) on Monday 13/10.  That is simple superb and Hornby are to be commended.

I don't need this model, the couplers are still very fiddly for me and it's not my "era" nor is it from a geographic area I have much interest in.  But it is absolutely gorgeous to see and a pleasure to run!  Thank goodness for Rule 1.

Matt

Brown and cream one ordered Friday 10/10, arrived here in California via DHL (free of charge, no less!) on Monday 13/10.  That is simple superb and Hornby are to be commended.

I don't need this model, the couplers are still very fiddly for me and it's not my "era" nor is it from a geographic area I have much interest in.  But it is absolutely gorgeous to see and a pleasure to run!  Thank goodness for Rule 1.

Matt

Every  evening more or less  at  around  6-00PM  a DHL 767*  passes  over  us  at  around  20,000! on its  descent into one of the UK Midlands airports   .  No doubt in a few  hours  it  will be   on its  way back to  the  US  loaded  with more  stuff for America  including  trains  from  Hornby  & others!!

*Re  www.radarbox24.com

My 2nd 5BEL arrived  today, A guy I spoke with  in customer services  told  me  they  were selling  extremely well  especially  the 1934 Pullman   version,  and  there was going to be further production, no other info was  forthcoming but is  it   possible  the  1964 ( pleease correct me  if  that is the incorrect  date!!)  BR Pullman livery  version??

The 1950/60s version has just come out in OO, so I would think that it would be the likely next release of the BB in N...

As someone naive to Southern region practice, forgive a potenially stupid question - but what's the difference between the 1930s and 1950s versions? Presumably there were both still in the same Pullman livery at these times, and only later went to Blue/Grey?

Cheers,

Alan

As someone naive to Southern region practice, forgive a potenially stupid question - but what's the difference between the 1930s and 1950s versions? Presumably there were both still in the same Pullman livery at these times, and only later went to Blue/Grey?

Cheers,

Alan

Not  a lot, check out  the  pics on one of the  retailers  websites and both versions  look  the  same to me!!  UNless  its  car  names and numbers that  have  changed over  the intervening  years??

Someone  will know  I am  sure!!

• RMweb Gold

Not  a lot, check out  the  pics on one of the  retailers  websites and both versions  look  the  same to me!!  UNless  its  car  names and numbers that  have  changed over  the intervening  years??

Someone  will know  I am  sure!!

In addition the Pullman crests on the driving car fronts are larger on the 1960s version, the wording of the second class cars is shown as "Car No." (dropping the "Third Class on the earlier version) and the units are numbered in the 305x series (as againt the 205x series on the earlier version).

Keith

Archived