Hornby Uncoupler Unit (R8244)

I recently fitted a Hornby Uncoupler Unit (R8244) which I operate using a Surface Mounted Point Motor (R8243).

The unit works fine except two recently purchased Hornby locos won't pass over the unit - the base of the Class 31 diesel loco is too low and hits the unit and won't go any further; the A4 'Herring Gull' loco will go over the unit but only beacuse the front bogie wheels are lifted up as they pass over.

I have checked that the unit is correctly fitted and ensured that it is in the lowered position before running the locos across!

I assumed that Hornby check that all locos will operate ok with this unit, especially models very recently released.

Can anyone recommend an alternative to the Hornby unit?

Many thanks

I'm interested in this info as I've been struggling with various uncoupling options (unsuccessfully). In a different thread, someone recommended gluing staples to Bachmann couplers and placing magnets below the track but I had trouble getting this to work.

I'll Google this Uncoupler Unit and any others that are recommended.

Thanks as well!

Rob

I'm interested in this info as I've been struggling with various uncoupling options (unsuccessfully). In a different thread, someone recommended gluing staples to Bachmann couplers and placing magnets below the track but I had trouble getting this to work.

I'll Google this Uncoupler Unit and any others that are recommended.

Thanks as well!

Rob

I presume thatthe Hornby Uncoupler Unit is a simple ramp, operated by a switch which raises/lowers it. Have you considered the Peco Uncoupling Ramp ? Very simple both to install and use. No electrics. No magnets. Can be installed within 1 minute, and at almost any place you wish.

Works with all TL type couplings.

gresley

Have you considered the Peco Uncoupling Ramp ? Very simple both to install and use. No electrics. No magnets. Can be installed within 1 minute, and at almost any place you wish.

Yes it works but the problem is that many Bachmann steam outline will not go over them. Anything from derailment to grounding on them can happen.

I presume thatthe Hornby Uncoupler Unit is a simple ramp, operated by a switch which raises/lowers it. Have you considered the Peco Uncoupling Ramp ? Very simple both to install and use. No electrics. No magnets. Can be installed within 1 minute, and at almost any place you wish.

gresley

Thanks -- this might work very well on my small switching layout, where only vans or wagons would pass over it. I'll check this out.

Cheers, Rob

How close is your ramp to a curve in the track? I had a similar problem with the Hornby Royal Mail operating set. Part of my problem was that I had already ballasted that section of track and had to remove it in order to get the ramp to sit as low as possible but my Bachmann class 108 DMU power bogie rode up the ramp and the train stopped. Carriages and wagons also uncoupled as they went over. I almost gave up but tried moving the ramps far enough from the curve for the locos and rolling stock to reach the ramps when running perfectly straight. I did this some weeks ago and, so far so good ...!

Harold.

This is a related question ... I have a Hornby uncoupler and it doesn't fit neatly into my track. This might be because most of my track is either Peco or Atlas.

I looked at pics of the Peco uncoupler online and, as far as I can tell, it looks identical to the Hornby one. So maybe the Peco uncoupler would fit better into my Peco flex track?

Also, I'm still going to try to use the method described on another forum, where small magnets were placed under the track and metal staples were super-glued to the plastic couplers (which are apparently only on modern Bachmann products). This would be the most appealing and effective way to uncouple freight cars/good vehicles. Only "concern" is that I'd have to buy several more Bachmann freight cars and not use my Hornby ones!

Thanks,

Rob

This is a related question ... I have a Hornby uncoupler and it doesn't fit neatly into my track. This might be because most of my track is either Peco or Atlas.

I looked at pics of the Peco uncoupler online and, as far as I can tell, it looks identical to the Hornby one. So maybe the Peco uncoupler would fit better into my Peco flex track?

Also, I'm still going to try to use the method described on another forum, where small magnets were placed under the track and metal staples were super-glued to the plastic couplers (which are apparently only on modern Bachmann products). This would be the most appealing and effective way to uncouple freight cars/good vehicles. Only "concern" is that I'd have to buy several more Bachmann freight cars and not use my Hornby ones!

Thanks,

Rob

The "Kirby" system mentioned above works very well. You can use any couplings you like as long as the hooks themselves aren't magnetic. This rules out the Hornby ones as you say but, in most cases, it's fairly easy to change them. Obviously, if they are in NEMpockets, it's a simple matter of pulling the Hornby ones out and slotting Bachmann ones in. If you have stock with the older style couplings, Bachmann have a number of coupling options that are a direct replacement once you've removed any rivets etc that retain the original couplings. The new ones can either be glued or screwed in place.

The "Kirby" system mentioned above works very well. You can use any couplings you like as long as the hooks themselves aren't magnetic. This rules out the Hornby ones as you say but, in most cases, it's fairly easy to change them. Obviously, if they are in NEMpockets, it's a simple matter of pulling the Hornby ones out and slotting Bachmann ones in. If you have stock with the older style couplings, Bachmann have a number of coupling options that are a direct replacement once you've removed any rivets etc that retain the original couplings. The new ones can either be glued or screwed in place.

Thanks ... I was actually thinking about this this morning! I should probably just buy a set of Bachmann couplers. As you say, I should easily be able to swop the metal ones on my Hornby wagons with the Bachmann ones. But I could still do with a few more wagon/vans anyway, so I may as well by Bachmann ones.

The Kirby method sounds excellent. It should really improve operation of the layout and the overall appearance/effect, especially if I were to ever demonstrate this to folks, possibly at a model railway show, etc.

Cheers, Rob

• Like 1

Thanks,

Rob

It has just occurred to me. What track are you using ? My Peco Ramps are installed in Code 100 track. I suspect that Code 75, being finer, is also lower, which may well be the cause of vehicles not passing freely over the ramp. I do not have any Code 75 track. I have a combination of Peco 100, Fleischmann (also Code 100), and Roco (Code 83).

gresley

It has just occurred to me. What track are you using ? My Peco Ramps are installed in Code 100 track. I suspect that Code 75, being finer, is also lower, which may well be the cause of vehicles not passing freely over the ramp. I do not have any Code 75 track. I have a combination of Peco 100, Fleischmann (also Code 100), and Roco (Code 83).

gresley

Thanks for your feedback, gresley. I'm actually using code 100 track throughout (this enables me to run my Dublo, Triang as well as my brand new locos). But most of my track is either Peco code 100 or Atlas code 100. I'm thinking that the Hornby uncoupler ramps are designed to fit into Hornby track only, not Peco or Atlas. I might be able to visit a model railway store this weekend that might carry the Peco uncouplers.

Cheers, Rob

The Hornby uncouplers will only fit Hornby track. If you are referring to the Peco uncouplers for Setrack, these will only fit Peco track. The sleeper spacing on Hornby and Peco Setrack is different, eg: a standard Hornby straight has one more sleeper than the Peco equivalent, and as the uncouplers clip between the sleepers, that makes them incompatible. Peco ones are much better by far though, being more realistic (not that a real railway has these things, but you know what I mean), and they are better made.

The Hornby uncouplers will only fit Hornby track. If you are referring to the Peco uncouplers for Setrack, these will only fit Peco track. The sleeper spacing on Hornby and Peco Setrack is different, eg: a standard Hornby straight has one more sleeper than the Peco equivalent, and as the uncouplers clip between the sleepers, that makes them incompatible. Peco ones are much better by far though, being more realistic (not that a real railway has these things, but you know what I mean), and they are better made.

Thanks, that's what I suspected. I might try to get some Peco uncouplers in the next little while then. Rob

the method of fixing staples to the droppers on standard couplers works well

the only down side is you dont get delayed uncoupling

there is on the market packs of droppers and arms that you can fit to the existing couplings

both Hornby and bachman,, not sure were it was i saw it

with these you dont have to glue anything,, anywere

will put the address up when i find it

cheers

the method of fixing staples to the droppers on standard couplers works well

the only down side is you dont get delayed uncoupling

there is on the market packs of droppers and arms that you can fit to the existing couplings

both Hornby and bachman,, not sure were it was i saw it

with these you dont have to glue anything,, anywere

will put the address up when i find it

cheers

Thanks, Mike. This could be useful. I'll try searching later as well. Rob

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I wouldn't bother with any uncoupling ramps, they look dreadful and I've never found them to work very well. At the moment, I am using a bent paper clip taped to a small LED torch, but I've done a lot of reading on the subject of Tension lock uncoupling and I've decided to go the Brian Kirby route. I've ordered the Bachmann couplings for my Hornby, Heljan and Airfix items, and over Christmas will be adding the staple droppers and magnets. It seems the simplist and easiest system to use and you don't have those ugly uncoupling ramps in your track.

Hi

Ive been sorting through some old Railway Modeller magazines the other day and seen a mechanical means of lifting a magnet under track,think would work well with the Kirby system which i have been thinking of using.By what i seen of the Kirby they can keep clicking coupling open as you drive over them when not un coupling.Think this would eliminate that and would be cheaper than a electro magnet.It consisted of a L shaped bracket made out of wood pushing a magnet up a tube. It was pulled with a cord and spring to return.Looked quite neat.

Tel.

I thought about making an uncoupling system using memory wire to raise and lower an uncouper to save having to modify the coupling droppers, but decided this was overly complicated when there are units available (Gaugemaster TLU) to do the same things for a few quid. I am therefore hoping I can make the Kirby system work, but I have also read that when going over them slowly they can uncouple. I think some experiment with magnet height and strength will determine if the system can be made reliable without the need to use electro magnets or raising and lowering them. I hadn't considered a manual magnet raising and lowering system, I suppose this could be achieved quite easily with some cables or rods under the base board.

• 9 years later...

Can somebody tell me why Hornby do not seem to explain their coupling (and uncoupling) policy anywhere. This seems like something they really should do.  I have recently purchased the Flying Scotsman set ( grandson. Good excuse) and am building a simple system. Experiments seem to show that the coupling on the FS engine is too floppy and just doesn’t work on the R620 uncoupler. Why not? 9p

Extension here... previous post submitted early by accident.

what is the best Hornby uncoupler and does it work well on all couplings. And if not, can I change the tender coupling on the Flying Scotsman provided as part of the train set.

many thanks.