Railfreight Closed van

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if they are actually being loaded Andrew?

ICI wiltons raw material was crude oil which wouldn't come in a van....but its output amongst other things was plastics so I expect those vans were being loaded with plastic products....either sheets or pellets

Hi Andrew

At Bridgwater adipic acid loaded in 1 tonne bags was received from ICI Wilton in the early 1980s in VDAs.

Then later in VGAs when they were introduced, a pool of five of them including 210401 was allocated to the traffic which passed on Speedlink services,

edit  - here is a photo of a VGA at Bridgwater

post-7081-0-46512600-1394628033_thumb.jpg

Adipic acid in 1 tonne bags is being unloaded from VGA 210406 on the UKF siding at Bridgwater.

M Thomas was the firm that handled to unloading of various Speedlink traffic at this location.

cheers

The picture above isnt british cellophane....the poster mentions UKF which could be uk fertilisers

I'm aware the poster mentions UKF, but that was simply a siding within Bridgewater yard where fertilisers were unloaded. That traffic used to run on a weekly basis, so the siding would be used for other traffic as well (amongst this was orange juice concentrate, IIRC)

It's almost certainly for the Cellophane plant, it may have been offloaded and stored at the M Thomas warehouse and called to the factory as required.  It may have been unloaded there and taken straight to the factory, as the plant may not have had anywhere suitable to unload the vans.

Hi all,

The cellophane plant would be the most probable place for its use. As for making cellophane I don't know off the top of my head. Adipic acid is used in the process to produce polymers and monomers.

I'm sure I've seen another photo like that of VGA wagons being unloaded by forklift at bridgewater with a truck in the background for forwarding.

Vin

The adipic acid flow from ICI WIlton was a regular Speedlink flow, originally in VDAs

When the VGAs were buit in 1982/3 this was the first regular use for them, 210401 the first production VGA

was one of the five allocated to a small pool specifically for this flow.

As the TOPS consignee was 'M Thomas' it was not possible to tell who the trafic was for.

The ROF private siding at Huntspill only received traffic in short wheelbase 2 axle wagons to my knowldege

(the largest being TTAs) so it could have been road hauled there.

The British Cellophane private siding did for a short trial period receive imported woodpulp in 80t ferry wagons,

the unloading point for them was around a curve away from the main line and a coupling bar was used I believe

to enable the vehicles to negotiate the curve. If the acid was for here perhaps it was not possible to ge the VGAs round the curve?

Returning to Andrews original question, did ICI Wilton send adipic acid anywhere else? I can not remember any other flows from my time in Bristol TOPS

cheers

That makes sense. Cellophane, cellulose!

As it does seem to be a regular flow it might be for a research lab at the plant? Maybe they were diversifying?

Vin

Not sure, but it seems to be a huge amount for a research lab. It was also used as a food additive to make things tart.

According to here:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/adipic_acid_market/polyurethane_resins/prweb9410852.htm

Adipic acid is a precursor to types of urethane based plasticisers, which can then be used in the production of Cellulose Acetate.  I can't think of anywhere else in the Bridgwater area that would have taken significant quantities of that chemical.

Edit - From the post above, it was probably unloaded at Thomas's yard because the VGA's wouldn't go round the curve.

Hi all,

Back to Andrew's question. ICI Wilton would send the vans to any plastics or as highlighted the food manufacturers all over the country. Rail connected of course.

I bet Mr. Kipling thought it was exceeding good stuff!

Vin

Archived