Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
On 16/06/2024 at 08:08, DaveF said:

SillothAug77J5770.jpg.6d135b90aaaeba8ce7204b7fa84bb167.jpg

Silloth Aug77 J5770

Comparison from a few years back, the platform has obviously gone but the station masters house is still standing, in fact it was for sale a few years back 
IMG_0847.jpeg.431c1c5f4bc5616b656b2dd6d37d2040.jpeg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

C14660 seems to be passenger rather than freight.

J

I think I got it wrong as the caption on my file copy from when it was on RMweb before the outage is also wrong.

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s from Germany, with some looking down from above the Rhine by the Loreley others by the river, in 1990 and 1991. C16521, at Loreley, with a Class 141, on a Wiesbaen to Koblenz service, on the 20th August, 1991, is a superb and most atmospheric shot looking down on the railway and the train.

The photo’s of a ship at and the line from Newsham Junction to Bates Pit, are an excellent selection. C6763, at Blyth Isabella exchange sidings, with a 37 clearing wagons on closure of Bates Pit, on the 6th April, 1985, that is a splendid composition and the 37 can be seen to be leaning a bit to the left. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, JeffP said:

C16521, the river looks to be very turbulent, yet there's a boat approaching.

The Rhine quite often looks like that near bends, especially when seen from above.  The first few times I thought it was very odd then I got used to it.

David

• Like 1

On 14/06/2024 at 16:53, DaveF said:

SwayfieldBRBedfordcrewbusDec72J3133.jpg.7a05d3e14b9e8ca0c8e6092a67e86922.jpg

Swayfield BR  Bedford crewbus Dec 72 J3133

1st thing I ever drove (not this one obviously) - Meopham station car park 1982 - got the keys thrown at me - "go and move the van round to the Substation Boy !" - "but I can't drive" - "then go and move the van carefully round to the substation" and that was that, blooded 😁

Started driving lessons two weeks later 👍

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of two photo’s in Yorkshire at Calverley and Rodley, and three at Trumpington on the southern edge of Cambridge. The first photo’ at Calverley and Rodley, of a six car unit on a  Morecambe to Leeds service, in June, 1976, is a superb composition, and the 110 set is actually coupled to a class 111 RollsRoyce engined triple set. You can tell from the smooth sided battery boxes, the straight exhaust pipes, and large radiator. 

The photo’s of the ECML in Northumberland around Widdrington station, between Morpeth and Alnmouth, in the early 1980’s are full of interest and nostalgia. The first photo’, north of Widdrington station, with 55018, on a train of Mkl’s from Newcastle to Edinburgh, in August, 1980, is a splendid photo’ of a train which covered the stations that the HST’s did not stop at.

C6102, at Widdrington Station, of 56106, on a down coal train, in July, 1983, is an excellent photo’ of the train, and ash can be seen on the front of the 56. It would make a fascinating weathering project on a Cavalex model.

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of Teesside. C7218 at Grangetown, with, just visible, a coke engine and wagon in the steam, on the 12th October, 1985, being a most atmospheric and busy scene. A great view for modelling inspiration.

The photo’s from Scotland, at Mossend, Glasgow Central and Saltcoats, are a superb set. The first photo’ at Mossend North, with 37201, on a down light engine movement, on the 29th March, 1989, is a well composed shot of the locomotive. 

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

C14897, is that loco a rebuild of one of the early box cab 1-B-1s?

Nice to see some photos of this area of Switzerland, my manager had inlaws living in that area and the company had had technical liason with the papermill at Landquart. Unfortunately I never got the opportunity to visit the mill.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Artless Bodger said:

C14897, is that loco a rebuild of one of the early box cab 1-B-1s?

Nice to see some photos of this area of Switzerland, my manager had inlaws living in that area and the company had had technical liason with the papermill at Landquart. Unfortunately I never got the opportunity to visit the mill.

Yes, built originally in 1913, rebuilt in 1943 from (I believe)  No.202.

David

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of Switzerland, at Landquart. The first photo’ of Re4/4ii, 11378, on a Basel to Chur service, on the 7th August, 1988, is a superb and most atmospheric view.

The large black and white print of LMS Jubilee, 5010, Gold Coast, on an up express from Manchester to London St. Pancras, at Kettering, in November, 1947, is a splendid photo’ a real gem.

The photo’s of Ulleskelf are an excellent set. J477, of a Class 104, on a Leeds to York service, in April, 1966, is a splendid composition, and the 104 is coupled to a Cravens power twin. In the background can be seen some Airey Houses, which were an all concrete design. I believe they suffered damp issues etc.,

Very best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

21 hours ago, DaveF said:

Another photos from a large print, this time taken at Kettering in November 1947.

img428.jpg.d4781b7d1616c1f036ead6bd7fb70975.jpg

David

The platform canopies are devoid of glass, was this removed during the war as an air-raid precaution, or had it succumbed before the war? 

• Like 1

J643, I wonder where the train of vans and cars had originated? I cannot identify the vans or cars (not my sphere of interest at all), so I wonder if anyone can identify the make etc please? Just out of interest.

The Scottish photos really place the railway in the landscape, notably the huge scale of the Leith docks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Artless Bodger said:

J643, I wonder where the train of vans and cars had originated? I cannot identify the vans or cars (not my sphere of interest at all), so I wonder if anyone can identify the make etc please? Just out of interest.

The Scottish photos really place the railway in the landscape, notably the huge scale of the Leith docks.

First thought is of Ford Transits, facing the camera. I remember them having a distinct white bumber region. I think!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1