read/change cv settings for decoders

ste37

Hi All,

Please can someone help? Im new to dcc I understand all the fundamentals. I bought a Dapol class 26 of Ebay with a decoder fitted now the Ebayer I bought it off has tweaked the cv's and runs like a dream. Is their away I can read the cv's so I can change my other decoders to match the same smooth handling!

Any help or advice would be very welome thank you in advance Steve.

P.s forgot to add dcc controller is a Gaugemaster prodigy express.     

Hi

One locos CV setting is not necessarily the same for another identical loco! Though it will in most cases be a good guide.

You place the loco onto the Programming track and select Read CVs Select the CV number you wish to read and the DCC system should read and display the value set in that CV. You will need to make a note of the CV number and its value then do the same for all the other CVs.

If you have the Gaugemaster software and connecting lead you should be able to read all the CV values and store them on your PC making life easier.

Alternatively is to obtain a SPROG II and via the free JMRI software do the same. - Read CVs and store all their values on a PC.

Edit to correct typo error,

Hi Steve

There are many ways of reading the CV values from your Dapol Class 26 but it won't necessarily help you to get your other locos running any better. Think about it if you could just copy the same settings from one loco to another then there would be no point in having changeable values. The idea of the CVs is to have the ability to tune every decoder/loco combination to give optimum performance. Let me just give you a few examples:

• Easiest case - Let's say you had another Dapol Class 26 with the same decoder then your plan may work but if for example the mechanism was "stickier" then you would need to tweak one or more CVs to try and make it like the original.
  • However, if the Dapol Class 26 was fitted with a different decoder then the settings would probably be completely different.
  • but id the original decoder were fitted to a farish 08 for example then you may want to give it different characteristics to emulate a shunter with limited top speed.

So you see it's not that simple.

I personally use a "Sprog" for tuning my locos. It is used in conjunction with some free software called Decoder Pro. Decoder Pro is connected via the Sprog to a programming track (this is usually a shortish length of track say 1 or 2 metres long that is isolated completely from your layout). Decoder Pro reads the values of all the decoder CVs and saves them in a data base on your PC. This allows you to reload them back into the original loco, if you should lose them for any reason or load them into another decoder/loco so that has the same settings but only if it's the same model of decoder.

Hope this helps as a starter, I'm sure there'll be more info along shortly.

Cheers Godders

Additionally to the good advice in the posts above - here's a back to square one - before you even think about altering decoder CVs, how does the chassis perform on 'vanilla' DC? 

While a good decoder can be used to mask deficiencies in mechanical performance to a greater or lesser extent, I have seen instances where the good mechanical performance of a chassis on DC exposes a decoder that actually degrades the final running result.

Thank you very much Brian and Godders for your invaluable help. And to 34theletterbetweenb&d as well. I was hoping it would be as easy as I thought but all your advice makes a lot of sense.

I have said it before and will say again, in 37yrs in this great hobby, 18+yrs op DCC I have yet to find any 2 locos that perform the same.

Even 2 locos exactly the same IE, same chassis, same motor, same gearing don't perform exactly the same.

To further confuse the issue, rarely does any one loco run same speed in both directions.

Usually one direction is faster than the other on most locos.

Cheers

Ian

I'm not sure how much you know about cv's, but here is my suggestion.

I find it sufficient initially to alter the following cv values to make a quick and mostly satisfactory result.

I happen to use mostly Lenz decoders and adjust as follows.

CV3 acceleration, default approx 5, new setting approx 150.

CV4 deceleration, default approx 5, new setting approx 50

CV5 top speed, default approx 250, new setting approx 75

CV6 mid point, set to half the value of CV5.

Experiment with your settings, don't be afraid, you can always do a factory reset if you get in a muddle.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure how much you know about cv's, but here is my suggestion.

CV5 top speed, default approx 250, new setting approx 75

Cripes

With a top speed setting of 75 most of my recent locos wouldn't even be able to crawl out of their boxes!

Some of my earlier ones have the top speed knocked back to around a 100 but recent ones are mostly 200 or so.

(All use Lenz + decoders)

Using Traincontroller these give reasonable top speeds of from 45-80 mph depending on loco & the gearing employed.

Keith

Cripes

With a top speed setting of 75 most of my recent locos wouldn't even be able to crawl out of their boxes!

Some of my earlier ones have the top speed knocked back to around a 100 but recent ones are mostly 200 or so.

(All use Lenz + decoders)

Using Traincontroller these give reasonable top speeds of from 45-80 mph depending on loco & the gearing employed.

Keith

Hi Keith,

I too am pretty well all Lenz+ decoders................my layout heavily freight biased.

But you are right...............my expresses with top speeds on my layout of a scale 45/50mph, have CV5 setting normally in the 100/120 area.

For freights which I generally run at a scale 15/20mph, the CV5 value is normally lower than 75, even in the 40/50 area.

Very much loco dependant of course, and how you want your trains to run, type of layout each one of us have.  I dont want my trains going round curves at unrealistic speeds, and I do have a lot of flowing curves on my layout.  

Anything over a scale speed of 55/60 mph is starting to look a bit train set on my layout..........it is very much up to each one of us to decide the top speeds of our locos, some like to see faster trains, some slower.

But one thing we definitely and completely agree on, is our love of the Lenz+ decoder range.........they are just so consistent and reliable.

Bob.

This is where 'horses for courses' come in. In my case it's a main line layout, and the trains are only on view on a very gentle curve - think a radius scaling a mile - so the expresses whip along at the local line limit which was 80mph. Contrasts very well with the coal coming up to London or other unfitted goods, necessarily making much slower progress.

Locos are set up for their normal service scale maximum speed, so that if a heavy freighter gets a chance of a gallop it can do so. The only locos really screwed down on CV5 are the genuinely pedestrian BR design diesel shunters, to obtain the scale maxima of 15mph and 20 mph for the two types in my area.

This is where 'horses for courses' come in. In my case it's a main line layout, and the trains are only on view on a very gentle curve - think a radius scaling a mile - so the expresses whip along at the local line limit which was 80mph. Contrasts very well with the coal coming up to London or other unfitted goods, necessarily making much slower progress.

Locos are set up for their normal service scale maximum speed, so that if a heavy freighter gets a chance of a gallop it can do so. The only locos really screwed down on CV5 are the genuinely pedestrian BR design diesel shunters, to obtain the scale maxima of 15mph and 20 mph for the two types in my area.

Precisely......it is absolutely horses for courses as you say......top speed determined by our individual layouts.

Archived