Silly question

I recently bought a Lifelike trains 08993 Thrall Door Box Rar on ebay, lettered for Armstrong - when it arrived I was astonished to discover that it was fitted with bogie mounted Triang Tension lock couplers! (NB It isn't any longer!) - I'm used to changing out the usual x2f bogie mounted horrors for kadees in body mounts, so it wasn't a problem - simply something I have never come across before - is this common ? - they were the first that I've come across

That was what I wondered, except that the tension locks appeared to be a part of the bogie fitment - I wondered if the (definitely USA-type) bogies might be from a Triang trans-continental, but they seem to be original manufacturers equipment with pin-point axles.  of course - it probably means they fitted in one of those wonderful ebay ***RARE***  or ***L@@K***  categories, and in snipping them off, I have destroyed something valuable!!!!

Were they L-L bogies? What vintage is this model?

It is possible that L-L made some to go with the old Triang North American stock (or Bachmann Thomas stuff) or somebody modified it to do so - we certainly modified some old stock to run with my Triang stuff.

Adrian

You are right! They all have! I was totally unaware that any had been made with them - I wonder if they were specially made for the UK market?

They probably were made for the UK market to be compatible with the Triang-Hornby international stock. The vintage looks about right.

Adrian

Were they L-L bogies? What vintage is this model?

It is possible that L-L made some to go with the old Triang North American stock (or Bachmann Thomas stuff) or somebody modified it to do so - we certainly modified some old stock to run with my Triang stuff.

Adrian

Adrian - there is nothing on the box to indicate a date - although it does say on there "Made in Hongkong for Life-Like Products Inc. Baltimore. Maryland 21211.USA"

Certainly does - but as it's from the '70's I don't hold out much hope for trying to put the decals on. I have a spare set of trucks!

Adrian - there is nothing on the box to indicate a date - although it does say on there "Made in Hongkong for Life-Like Products Inc. Baltimore. Maryland 21211.USA"

Yes, but the box says '70s to my mind. The level of decoration looks about right too.

Adrian

I remember seeing some LifeLike stuff in a toy shop in Buxton in the mid-80s. They had the Northeastern style caboose in BR blue (wrong shade) with the double arrow. I am sure I bought one because at the time it was the only available model of that kind of caboose and scrubbbed up reasonably well. I must have discarded it at some point because a rummage through my treasure this afternoon failed to unearth it.

The Quality Craft kit was in fact quite good fun to build. The doors were white metal castings that you glued onto the sides, the hinge rods were represented by wire. I paid GBP 3.60 for mine at, I believe, MG Sharp in Sheffield in the late 70s and quite enjoyed what I think was my first foray into the world of wooden craftsman kits. It wouldn't pass muster today without some additional detailing, and I don't think I did enough work to hide the wood grain, always an issue using wood to represent metal, but it was fun and a good skill builder.

Lifelike tried to sell to the UK market for a time hence the tension locks, there was a BR blue F7 for sale to pull them, hilarious!

Thanks Martyn - never come across them before - good thing that my "modification" hasn't completely ruined its value

I remember seeing some LifeLike stuff in a toy shop in Buxton in the mid-80s. They had the Northeastern style caboose in BR blue (wrong shade) with the double arrow.

I think the shade of BR blue on an American caboose was the least of the issues! :D

Archived