Rustys work bench

• 1 month later...

Finally decided to finish off a loco my father started 20 plus years ago, it is built using a test etch, a reduction of one of Barry Jones's "Modellers World" 7mm kits. Dad made all the masters for the castings but a mold was never made so I intend to finish the model using the masters as a tribute to his work.

This is basically as dad left it but I have swapped the drivers with the latest Markits versions together with Markits deluxe crank pins.

I need to order Gibson leading and trailing wheel sets next.

39646182655_707308e03e_c.jpg

Edited by rustynuts
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Depending on period, but they were normally lined unless repainted during the Great War years.

An excellent model but one comment, the steam heat valve on the cab roof R/H side looks rather overscale. These were also often removed during the summer months so can be left off.

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on period, but they were normally lined unless repainted during the Great War years.

An excellent model but one comment, the steam heat valve on the cab roof R/H side looks rather overscale. These were also often removed during the summer months so can be left off.

True and a very valid comment but as it was with the masters I think i will leave it, painted black and weathered back i don't think it will look so bad.

True and a very valid comment but as it was with the masters I think i will leave it, painted black and weathered back i don't think it will look so bad.

I should have added it unfortunately doesn't look like the real thing either. That was rather like a tube with a thinner piece projecting out of the top. That had a slot in it, presumably where excess steam escaped to release the pressure. Overall it would be (in 4mm scale) about 1.0 mm dia, 3.0 mm high.

This picture of a 4mm LNWR Precursor gives an idea, The cast valve supplied in the Brassmasters kit is about right but doesn't have the slightly narrower short section at the top

post-1191-0-11659300-1535534057_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jol Wilkinson

Glad I've found this thread Mr.Nuts, very useful.

Thanks, Dave.

My pleasure, never find enough time to do any model making but progressing when I can.

Paul

Anyone know where I can get number plates for the 5'6" tank?

Paul

Sorted thanks to LRM, cheers John

• 1 month later...