Hornby K1

RBAGE

Hello All,

As has been raised elsewhere on this site, the arrival of Hornby's K1 is awaited with bated breathe.

I already have a Dave Bradwell kit already built and another waiting to be built.

Despite this, I could not resist pre-ordering 2 of the afore mentioned Hornby offering.

I will come to the point of this posting.

With the model on the way, does anyone know if anyone has a sound file in preparation for offering an appropriate decoder for the K1. One exists so a genuine recording would be a very attractive prospect.

Charlie, anything to offer?

Bob

We have a K4 soundich is actually based on K1 Great Marquis but modified to 3 cylinders. I forget why we did it like that! This could very easily be changed back to the original recordings so it would be a genuine K1. I suppose I ought to offer it properly on the list of projects! Anyway, if you order the K4 but include a note to say it is for a K1 then you'll get what you need!

Cheers, John, YouChoos

Thanks for that John but I'm a bit confused.

Great Marquess is a Gresley K4 which was a 3 cylinder loco.

Thompson, in his usual fashion, started undoing the work of Gresley and kicked off a plan to rebuild them into 2 cylinder K1's.

The first was classified K1/1 in preparation for the production batch.

The production batch included some Peppercorn modifications to become the K1.

Is you recording from K1, 62005 modified to a 3 cylinder K4?

I am very interested but I suppose I should wait to see if the Hornby model will be 8 pin or 21 pin. 

Do you have any information on this?

Bob

Hello Warrior,

I agree wholeheartedly and I'm sure you would not be surprised at some of the rubbish I have on my layout

Some providers still offer what they describe as "generic" recording and that's fine for something which no longer exists but when you end up, as I have, with a B1 which is exactly the same recording as and A3, buyer beware.

Anyway, if the recording is a genuine K1, then I am interested.

Bob 

Thanks Bob... that explains why I couldn't remember the history behind the project... the recordings were indeed of 'The Great Marquess' which is a K4 3cyl, not K1 2cyl... absolutely right!

That's also probably why I never listed the K1 project on the website, because it wasn't genuinely a K1.  My K1 is the hybrid one (basically a modified K4), which is special order only - like my Midland Compound sounds - not a published project as it isn't the real thing.

I've not had the opportunity to see 62005 K1 'Lord of the Isles', but there's no reason that a project couldn't be created for it.

Rgds, John

What a great idea to post a request like that here... I've been supplied a number of recordings of "Lord of the Isles" 62005 K1 in the past week from various customers, and have been able to come up with a great project specifically for the K1!  This is available for all Zimo sound decoders.

I've published the project, including an audio track for you to listen to...

http://youchoos.co.uk/Index-Shop.asp?L1=Project&Item=LNERK1

The project includes the 'Quick Select' feature to switch from light to heavy chuff sets (same concept as 'Multi-Drive').  Some great clanking on deceleration, which you can hear to great effect right near the end of the recording.

Enjoy!

Cheers, John

Ive recently bought a SWD L1 sound chip to be fitted to my engine. The L1 should be sounding similar to the K1, as its basically the same boiler, same wheel size. The chuff rate and power should be the same - more or less. I found that the sounds on the L1 were rather muted to comapred with what I know of the K1 (my favouirte steam engine and first call made if I win the lottery - family stands no chance!). So I returned it to the shop as having to sort a reblow myself was going to be expensive.

It would be interesting to find that with new decoders being v.4 etc just how many projects for sound are taken from authentic or at least similar engines. A list of who does what and how good might be helpful, but for now, my hunt for a good K1 continues...

• 1 month later...

Hello John,

Finally got a K1.

Are the whistle sounds playable?

With regard to the sound you offer, you indicate that functions can be swapped to preferred keys. Could you lose things such as guard whistle, door slam, fire glow etc and put all loco sounds into the early function keys?

Bob 

Hi Bob, not sure if we are talking cross-purposes but yes, you can sound the various whistles by pressing function keys on your DCC controller, of course!

Cheers, John

What I mean is, can you control the length of the whistle by keeping the function key pressed or if the function is latching, does the whistle sound until you unlatch?

For example, I use NCE which has a dedicated whistle key as well as the other function keys. The whistle key is not latching. If I just flick the key it gives a very short starting or acknowledgement whistle. If I keeping it pressed it continues to play as long as I want.

Bob 

Ah ok... no, very few of my projects contain looping whistles/horns - I've found that they are less than convincing as you can usually hear the looping which is quite unpleasant.  Of course there are things you can do with the editing to blend, but they usually come across very artificial and unnatural, so I don't bother.  Instead, I provide a variety of whistles/horns for different situations, some short, some longer.  In reality you wouldn't hang onto the whistle pull for ages anyway!

Hope that makes sense?!

Cheers, John

• 4 months later...
Guest G567281

Ah ok... no, very few of my projects contain looping whistles/horns - I've found that they are less than convincing as you can usually hear the looping which is quite unpleasant.  Of course there are things you can do with the editing to blend, but they usually come across very artificial and unnatural, so I don't bother.  Instead, I provide a variety of whistles/horns for different situations, some short, some longer.  In reality you wouldn't hang onto the whistle pull for ages anyway!

Hope that makes sense?!

Cheers, John

I have recently fitted a YouChoos K1 sound decoder to my Hornby K1 62027 and IMHO I have to say it is superb. I used a 28mm speaker rated at 3watts instead of the sugar cube type - strictly preference on my part. The trick is to ensure the suppression wiring in the loco tender is re-routed to the back side of the speaker. For future installations I will consider removing the suppression wiring altogether. Leaving the suppressor in does not appear to affect the excellent running qualities of the locomotive however.

Do not be fooled by the soft chuff as the loco sounds the same as my digital video recording and those whistles and rod clank !!!. Music, music.

recommended, I look forward to installing another one when Hornby release 62064 later in the year. But then there is always 62015 which could become 62005 or the second release of 62024 to play with. We have never had it so good.

Alan

Archived