Snape Maltings

justin1985

I'm currently reviving my plans for a model of the station at Snape Maltings, on the short branch off the East Suffolk Line, in 2mmFS. I'll use the famous maltings buildings as a scenic break - a first series OS map printed to scale fits nicely within a c.4' x 1' old IKEA storage unit which I'm planning to use as a ready made baseboard.

As I'm hoping to depict the 1910's to 1930's, the Peter Paye book on the branch tells me that there was a small signal cabin, which replaced an earlier hut, located to the north of the tracks, facing the yard points (presumably just beyond the end of the station master's garden). This was removed (or at least decommissioned) in 1940, according to the book. However, I haven't been able to find any hint of what this structure might have looked like. The vast majority of the images I can find seem to be from 1958 or so, once the main goods shed building had been demolished, along with the signal cabin.

If anyone can point me to any extra images of the station, or any other information on the site, I'd be very grateful!

Justin

Hello,

The Middleton press book sadly does not have a picture of the signal cabin, it does have a good photo of the good shed and staion masters house from where I suspect the cabin was but that is not helpful. The line was designated by GER as freight only to reduce costs so would have been operated towards the end of your period under the engine in steam principle, (which is basically a glorified siding. With a signal at the junction only. )

You might want to consider contacting suffolk records office to see if they have anything or the Great Eastern Railway Society.

stephen

• 7 years later...