Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Haven't been in there for about 5 years after getting an appallingly semi-cooked piece of cod as part of their offering of fish & chips.  It is also a rather trendy type of place so probably best avoided for that reason  alone as it's hardly the place for a quiet drink or meal.

I the the A.E Hobbs holds the record for being open for the shortest length of time of any pub in Henley - certainly for any pub in the post-war period  as it only opened in 1968.  The list isn't complete - from a quick check The Bull (long closed) is missing as is the Three Horseshoes (although it's still open) and the Bell Inn (still open but now a wine bar).  And the Royal Station Hotel isn't listed and it was the station staff's evening  watering hole - when they were still on duty, also very handy for the turntable area, and a long way from the SM's house.  And some are in there with more than one name such as the Old White Hart (which was once a coaching inn). At a quick check I've at one time or another had a drink in 19 on that list plus another 9 which aren't listed and spent a lot of time behind the bar in one of the ones listed.

One of the pubs has a connection with a well know figure in the model railway world but as I don't think he's mentioned that connection I won't either.

That’s great Mike thank you.

Your story reminds me of several summers at a certain Welsh narrow gauge railway, where at the age of 16 I was told to sit in the corner without my beer in case the Police come in! Which of course they didn’t.

I have recently found a video of a guy exploring said bar in the now closed hotel, it’s been closed for years, yet it looks like it was abandoned ages ago.

Different times.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Apologies that updates from Henley-on-Thames have been a bit sporadic of late. 

I have been a bit pre-occupied!

This is my Metro tank 2-4-0T seen at Henley-on-Thames, the build of which has been in the Metro thread: 

My loco has moved on at a decent enough pace, but before I solder the wheels bearings in place, I am getting the Loco builders box: http://www.poppyswoodtech.co.uk/tools.html just to check it is absolutely square. I can then ream the coupling rods and think about a spray paint.

The loco is seen here in Platform 3 at Henley-on-Thames. The Gentleman doesn't seem that impressed, although it looks as if the lady is thinking how it will steam with that huge gap in the front!

Work in progress:

946090103_Metrotank1-3-23a.jpg.182e25dbd7ffe6724511173a8da21b39.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Looking good Neal, I might just have to get a small Metro just to complete the set of 2-4-0s as it were.

But then there's the tender versions of 2-4-0 locos, plus what was acquired at grouping....

I think that I had better finish my 517 first!

• Like 6

Looks like the Ghost Train is running through Fal Vale Junction tonight - though the couple on the platform don't appear too perturbed. I hope Ted Holmes manages to close the bridge this time!

Nice progress on the Metro Neal.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Looking good Neal, I might just have to get a small Metro just to complete the set of 2-4-0s as it were.

But then there's the tender versions of 2-4-0 locos, plus what was acquired at grouping....

I think that I had better finish my 517 first!

I quite fancy a Barnum. I've always thought they are lovely little locos and were all withdrawn in the late 1930's, so ideal for my timeline.

They weren't really a Thames Valley loco at this point though 😟

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

It's been a Castle Saturday at Henley-on-Thames.

First to arrive on shed were 4073 Caerphilly Castle seen in front of the loco shed, which was followed by 5076 Dryswllyn Castle seen on the turntable.

2086079059_Castles4-3-23aR.jpg.1f6933f6fd01d5b0c4ce68be7148498c.jpg

The loco was turned before going onto the servicing roads.

They were then joined by Windsor Castle, seen here on the turntable:

1056789893_Castles4-3-23bR.jpg.e12dd0519386889640a9c6e60dd1be01.jpg

To be continued - more Castles.

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Bazza said:

Quite a few at Didcot today too!

20230304_110837.jpg

20230304_111124.jpg

I'm so pleased I was able to make it to Didcot today - what a splendid spectacle it was!   I don't think I have ever seen so many people at the Railway Centre.  It really was a wonderful day out!

Gerry

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

The two "Castles" I watched on the southbound approach to Kings Sutton yesterday - 7029 leading 5043 - were both graceful and rather belligerant in the way they were hurrying the 10 car train along. What a lovely noise.

P1170164.jpg.ecd5c5212c4da1fb0cd1a4020953cfd4.jpg

P1170165.jpg.8c9235551361d7577b24d1a1d0657394.jpg

Just a pity it wasn't a brighter morning.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

That's lovely! Let's use it henceforth and write to Susie Dent to make it official. 😃

Err who is Susie Dent?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Err who is Susie Dent?

Susie Dent is the nation's favourite Lexicographer.

She's on Countdown every day in "Dictionary Corner".

Now come on Neal, you're not going to ask me what Countdown is, are you? 😉

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

Susie Dent is the nation's favourite Lexicographer.

She's on Countdown every day in "Dictionary Corner".

Now come on Neal, you're not going to ask me what Countdown is, are you? 😉

No disrespect to Susie, but I'm afraid I'm more of a Rachel fan.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2