Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann 04 Shunter motor.

Express Blue

If this is the split chassis model of the DM shunter, the same open frame 3 pole motor is used in the  J72 and split chassis type 57xx. May have to do a worm gear exchange though.

If this means a second hand hunt, and having to buy a complete loco for the part, I would give serious thought to acquiring the current class 03 for the chassis. Day over night superiority over the split chassis mech, a really sweet runner. Will need some work to adapt it to the old body for sure. If you go that way and can get one in BR black or all over green, PM me and I'll do a deal to buy the body off you to bring your net cost down.

The history of the 03/04 is quite comples, a quick summary is this:

03 produced by Mainline. Many complain about this motor design in the split chassis, though having had several of these I personally never found a problem.

Same 03 produced by Bachmann in the early takeover of Mainline.

Revised 03 chassis/motor then introduced under the same body. I did find this chassis to be better than the original.

03 body discarded in favour of new 04 body.

New (recent) 03 introduced with a new chassis/motor. This has NO connection with previous 03/04 models; easily identified by lights in cab.

Prior to the introduction of the recent 03, I had several models of the 03 and 04, all bought new. At various times I also had s/h examples, and ended up swapping bodies, to get the better chassis/motor in my models. There was no problem in doing this. I have since sold off all my 03 models, and bought 2 of the new version. The 2x 04 that I have now have the better chassis fitted; I can't remember whether they were bought like that or re-chassised though!

Stewart

I have had problems with my early series 03 which was a Replica Railways one, the motor is very whiney and weak, just through excessive use by the previous owner. I intended to put a Bachmann old type 04 motor and chassis arrangement in to replace it, but the 04 I bought promptly decided to have a fairly serious electrical failure and was useless. So at the moment its in the queue for chassis number 3.

The previous Bachmann/Mainline 03 has a different motor arrangement to the Bachmann 04. If you dismantle the 04's split chassis, the motor comes out loose and may be a match for other Bachmann split chassis type locomotives making tracking a replacement easier? I never had much luck with either types, and gave away my three older style Bachmann 03s to my nephew when the new tooled Bachmann model came on the market - never regretted it, though the old BR blue 03 has been known to turn back up here for running sessions in the shed as my nephew really likes it. I find that it seems to need a little warming up before it responds best from the controller. No idea why this might be.

...If you dismantle the 04's split chassis, the motor comes out loose and may be a match for other Bachmann split chassis type locomotives making tracking a replacement easier? ...

The open frame motor in the Bachmann designed split chassis is the same as that in the J72 and old split chassis 57xx model. Because I never got around to needing to do such a transplant (the motor long outlasted the wear out of the plating, see below) I cannot say whether the worm gear is the same, so a motor from one of the other chassis might require a worm swap.

...the old BR blue 03 has been known to turn back up here for running sessions in the shed as my nephew really likes it. I find that it seems to need a little warming up before it responds best from the controller. No idea why this might be...

That's regular split chassis trouble, usually build up of non-conducting sludge of lubricant and oxidised metal in the contact areas between the half axles and split chassis. Takes a little running to improve contact. Drop the wheelsets out and clean up, then lightly relubricate with a light grease. While doing this inspect for how much original plating is still in place on the tyres and contact surfaces. Once it is largely mazak in contact then the end is nigh for that unit; one can  drain the last dregs with graphite powder to help conductivity, or even fit wipers, but once the tyres are worn through to the casting, that's it.

• 2 years later...

First of all, I know this is an older thread, but I think re-using it is better than starting yet another one for the same topic.

I bought a second-hand 04 on Thursday. It was demonstrated in the shop as working, albeit stiff and needing a little running-in after sitting on the shelf for months. I got it home, and it shunted my yard as expected; not excellently, but good enough for my needs. Friday morning I gave it a proper running-in on my loop, and it's performance deteriorated until it didn't start at all. 

I proceeded to dismantle it and checked the mechanics, and all seems well. I next tested all the electrical paths with a multi-meter; again, all fine. When on tracks, power is always present across the motor. However, it still won't move.

I know this is an old, unreliable model, but I would like to get it moving again. I can see two options for this; try and source a replacement motor, in which case where from (I haven't seen any yet), or replace the chassis entirely. I have seen others here use the Branchlines metal 04 chassis, and am interested in trying it; however, I have never built such a kit before. Is it a good idea to try it? Is it even still available?

Thank you for reading my small spiel, I would be grateful to hear any advice. I don't need to be told how bad the model is, reading retrospectively I can see that. I want to get it usable, and would like to know what the best method is to explore.
(Side note: why didn't this come to light when I was researching the model before purchase? All reviews seem to indicate it's a good model, not one mention of being poor until you search 'Bachmann 04 repairs', at which point all seems lost...)