Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

steve fay

Me again & another new topic. No Jeff no permission needed from my Wife!!!

I was waiting for a reply from Easy build and the minimum radius their DMU's could traverse safely.

As is stated in my RB thread I wanted to add fiddle yards either side and this would entail going outside. I have a certain amount of room behind the back of my railway room and I can just squeeze a loop in then run down the back of the fence down grade another loop back on its self and run back into the shed underneath RB about 12" lower. This will allow about 30 foot to drop down between the two levels.

The only stock that will run on this will be single railcars, DMU's, panniers or 14xx's and an AutoCoach and maybe a few wagons utilising the longer Heljan couplings to prevent buffer lock on a small goods train.

NO BIG LOCOS

The plan, thought the wall, the hole covered by a big Tree! Run over a viaduct about 3 foot long and then curve in to a single platform with run round loop a bit like St Ives. Maybe a siding into a small goods shed.

All this will be set on a sloping hill side with caravans and tents behind the station.

In front of the station will be a retaining wall with a stone walk way at the bottom and then another wall down to the beach.

There will be an out crop of land between the viaduct and beach.

Now the best part or more unusual. Taking inspiration from the 10 & 1/4" railway at Goodrington sands I'm going to lay some 009 track along the stone walk way and use American N scale engines !!!!

Yes you heard me right. Il buy some cheap N scale coaches cut off the roofs and sit in some 7mm seated passengers enjoying a sea side ride on the train, maybe a caboose on the back with a suitably attired Casy Jones look alike.

I do like my American outline locos and this gives me the chance to finally have a N&W 611, UP 8444, a streamlined F unit and maybe a challenger. The guys at the Devon Valley Railroad like the big American stuff.

The DVR will swing around under the viaduct to hidden sidings around the back and into an old smugglers tunnel under the station.

Beach huts, bathers & Holiday makers will complete the scene.

So there we go another slightly different take on the typical GWR BLT.

post-5983-0-66960000-1427731281.jpg

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 4

post-5983-0-56982300-1427754624.jpgpost-5983-0-87830600-1427754639.jpg

The station building at Griffithstown will be prefect for this project, it's situated right next to the Goods shed that was my Dads Railway Museum. The station building is due to be demolished soon so I'm going to take a few more pictures of it tomorrow.

• Like 6

No it's in Wales so it would be CADW & they are not interested.

I tried a few years ago to get it saved firstly for Llangollen for Corwen but the station site isn't suitable and then Gwilli for the Camarthen extension but they didn't have the logistics to move it.

Last I heard it was being demolished, the ground is being cleaned up ready for the houses that are going up.

I can get measurements if needed.

Such a shame to see it go. At least we will have a 7mm version.

Two signals needed for this project

post-5983-0-01159700-1427824430.jpg

Second will be another bracket signal but with the addition of a ground signal mounted on it. Jon has already done one similar on his gallery thread.

Jon you can add this one in to your building list.

post-5983-0-44433000-1427825029.jpg

This is the other one, Jon I hope you don't mind me using your picture.

Just like this but without calling on arms

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 5

So you jump off the train maybe an auto train make your way out of the station and down on to the sea wall. what's that noise?? It sounds like an American whistle.

In the distance you see a head light come in to view, as an excited 8 year old you make a bee line to the little station The Devon Valley RailRoad, and here comes a scale model of a Union Pacific FEF class. wow you've only seen this in the magazines. Even if it is 10&1/4" it's still huge!! Jump on and take a ride.

No this isn't an April foolspost-5983-0-56202500-1427831992_thumb.jpg

The train Driver or Engineer suitably dressed in a Casy Jones out fit tells you in a broad Westcountry accent come down tomorrow, we have a new Streamlined Diesel in Santa Fe's Famous Warbonnet livery on the trains.

post-5983-0-54609400-1427832113_thumb.jpg

wow I do t think I'm even going to make it up to the branch station all week. It will probably only be boring DMU's any way.

Now wouldn't this be a great place to take your holiday??

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 2

location is make beleive! I'm just taking inspiration from various South Devon / Cornwall Locations and utilising some of my favourite Railway Buildings.

The layout will be 16 foot long. The platform will take a 3 car DMU or a few coaches and a small loco and will be set upon a hill with the beach at a lower level in front.

It's all a bit of fun really. Whilst I'm 100% committed to Ranelagh Bridge I want the option to run some trains & 87D will be my exhibition layout, Looking at Church Norton, Cwm Bach, West Kirby & Inglebourne all have inspired me to do something my self. I have the room under Ranelagh Bridge so I might as well use it. The stock I intended to get for Ranelagh Bridge any way, well except the US stuff.

On that topic, I knew there was a miniature railway at Goodrington and Dawlish in the 50's and I thought it would be a great way of combining both scales. I know it sounds odd but hopefully I can make it work.

I intend on starting on some of the construction this week as it and I don't intend on doing the outside secrion until next year at the earliest. This gives me the chance to do a spot of scenic modelling.

• Like 1

Instead of a traditional viaduct how about a shorter version of the epic Largin Viaduct. Another of my favourite pieces of railway architecture. attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Lovely! I had a walk up to the box there a few months before it closed and took a few internal pics. I think all or part of the box has been preserved.

Jon F.

• Like 2

Marvellous idea Steve. Halcyon days indeed and at least it can always be sunny on your beach!  :)

I agree and as soon as told my to girls I'm building a beach they have been massively interested and are asking can we go up the bar,

( was a bar before railway room )

Even though I will of course be taking inspiration from real places, buildings & stock this is an unashamed nostalgic rosey eyed look back on better times and holidays of the past and of today as I still love to take holidays in South Devon and walk along the sea wall. How ever when I see a pacer plodding past I try to imagine a hall on a summer extra!!

Palm trees for the station are on the way.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One word says most of it BROADSANDS. I nearly persuaded Marion that we should buy a bungalow almost under the viaduct. Still you get more interesting trains on the WSR than on the P&D. For some reason we never measured the beach huts at Broadsands.

Don

• Like 1