RMweb

Glasgow George Square

taybridge

For the second time I've had to remove images that have been uploaded to the site which are copyright or to be reproduced in accordance with a Common Licence. Can you please ensure that we don't breach rules.

Thanks,

oops sorry Andy. Getting carried away with too much enthusiasm. Point taken

Doug..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Doug,

Just started to write this post and your PM arrived.biggrin.gif I was going to ask if the transfers arrived. Glad they will be of use, I gave you the option of Eastfield or Inverness, I am sure you will find a use for the spare ones.wink.gif Sorry there is no large double arrow but I didn't have any, though you can get them from Fox transfers.

The Gresley looks great, I am pretty sure I have transfers for that, I will have a look, I think they are Presfix ones.

Cheers Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

Repainted a Hornby LMS 50' BG into BR blue.

To do this I did the following:

• disassemble (remove bogies, underframe and windows)
  • remove the corridor connections and plate over, filling all gaps
  • remove the vent plates at the top of each door and fill the holes the plates were attached through
  • pare back the two strakes running along each coach side
  • remove the original running boards and replace with a separate step under each door
  • paint the coach blue
  • paint the bogies, underframe and roof mucky brown
  • stick back windows
  • reassemble!

What fun :D

Hope you enjoy.. at the front of a train next to the Gresley buffet..

post-6913-003300400 1284290971_thumb.jpg

post-6913-081096400 1284290982_thumb.jpg

post-6913-021456500 1284290996_thumb.jpg

post-6913-092220400 1284291008_thumb.jpg

post-6913-000154500 1284291023_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

STEP 2

Remove the bogies by putting a small flat head screw driver into the gap between the bogie and the coach underside and prise off. Don't worry, seems to work fine!

Study the coupling components before removing, as you're going to have to put them all back!

Remove the coupling components - careful now! The tiny spring can spring away!

post-6913-064315900 1284797292_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

STEP 3

Put the bogies and coupling components into sealed envelopes (or similar) for safe keeping.

Remove the coach underframe by unclipping the four transparent plastic hooks (one in each corner) and popping the underframe out. The underframe comes off and the coach interior drops out. :O

post-6913-062016800 1284797470_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

STEP 4

Remove all the glazing from the coach body (including the two end windows at the brake end of the coach).

The glazing is glued in with a kind of gum, so use a sharp modeling knife or scalpel. Slice the knife along the lower side of the glazing, between the glazing and the coach body. This loosens the gum considerably. Fold the glazing away from the body and it all just gradually pops out.

Put the glazing into another sealed envelope for safe keeping.

post-6913-042502400 1284797657_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

STEP 5

Remove the vent boxes (I think that's what they are) from above all the doors.

Also remove the protruding window boxes (one each side at the brake end of the coach).

You won't be needing these again!

Fill all the fitting holes that have been exposed.

Once this is done you should also pop the corridor connections off - use the modeling knife or scalpel again and prise them off. You're going to need the corridor connections again, so once again, keep safe in a sealed envelope.

There are little bumps in the middle top of each coach side as well as middle of each side of the roof (for train name boards) - you can see these still in place in the photo below. Slice these off with the modeling knife or scalpel. There was no need for train name boards in 1970.

post-6913-062657300 1284797988_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

STEP 6

Paint the whole body shell BR blue. I've used Humbrol Acrylic RC411 Diesel Blue and an airbrush.

These pictures show the result, with the body shell placed temporarily back on the (unpainted) underframe/interior assembly.

I won't be able to continue with the painting until next weekend, as the early-Spring evenings are still dark here... roll on turning the clocks forward B)

post-6913-099842100 1284891338_thumb.jpg

post-6913-061025900 1284891349_thumb.jpg

post-6913-032247500 1284891359_thumb.jpg

post-6913-054660000 1284891369_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It's time to ask the manufacturers for a new Mk1 sleeper model! B) B) B) B) B) B) B)

I'll happily trade in my 2 x Mk3 sleepers for a mix of mixed and first class Mk1 sleps.. :D

The first couple of times I travelled in Mk3 sleps I didn't sleep well because of the aircon. Too NOISY and the air was too, I don't know, dry?! Didn't have that problem with the Mk1 sleps, mind you I was about 5 at the time :blink:

Best overnight train sleep I had was a DB 6 berth couchette from Munich to Hamburg. Went to sleep in a full cabin, woke up and on way in to Hamburg and I was the only one left. Dunno where everyone else got off - I certainly didn't notice.

That reminds me of Munich station on the night of departure. I walked right out to the end of the platform must have been about 10pm, trains coming and going under the stars, fabulous!

STEP 9

Airbrush the roof, underframe, bogies and corridor connections, and pop everything back together again..

This one's been cleaned so the coach sides aren't mucky.

B)

Still a fair bit to be done in the future - including numbering and the thin white line around the grey window band.

post-6913-045520200 1285487980_thumb.jpg

post-6913-064085000 1285487993_thumb.jpg

post-6913-002164500 1285488004_thumb.jpg

post-6913-000044600 1285488013_thumb.jpg

post-6913-096205200 1285488022_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi there

I'm slowly getting through the layout threads as I sit here recovering from my broken hip, and finally found yours.

I lived in Glasgow in early blue diesel times, and this certainly conveys the feel of Queen Street very well indeed based on what I can remember. It seems to be a station which lends itself to modelling, and your model does the business. Also really like your how I did it posts, your blue and grey Gresley buffet certainly recalls the vehicle that I used to bucket down to Kilmarnock on every Friday afternoon to get back from Uni to home, and in which I used to enjoy what felt like an illicit beer (as the pubs shut at half past two).

Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Regards

Stewart

Hi there

I'm slowly getting through the layout threads as I sit here recovering from my broken hip, and finally found yours.

I lived in Glasgow in early blue diesel times, and this certainly conveys the feel of Queen Street very well indeed based on what I can remember. It seems to be a station which lends itself to modelling, and your model does the business. Also really like your how I did it posts, your blue and grey Gresley buffet certainly recalls the vehicle that I used to bucket down to Kilmarnock on every Friday afternoon to get back from Uni to home, and in which I used to enjoy what felt like an illicit beer (as the pubs shut at half past two).

Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Regards

Stewart

Thanks Stewart, hope your hip is getting better, good wishes from Melbourne with a big :D to cheer you up. Glad you like my layout, though it's only loosely based on GlasgowQS of course... it's got a loco depot and DMU depot right outside the station throat and I'm considering adding a dedicated parcels depot to the south of platform 7... anyway, we'll see how that goes over the next year!

• 2 weeks later...

NNX courier van work in progress...

These Southern region coaches are great! No lining and virtually no markings to remove! :lol:

:unsure:

am looking forward to this conversion as i may do some of my stock that i wanna part with! hmm whats it called? recycling is it? lol