RMweb

kes

Very doubtful as there was no direct connection fron the GN to the MR Lincoln line. When one was put in, it was to allow trains from Nottingham Midland onto the GN towards Grantham. I wonder if my Cleethorpes train went via the LD&EC through Tuxford.

No, no. You misunderstand. Although I think your reasoning is later correct.

I think the reply meant Nottingham Barkston E Junc, Honington, Lincoln.

However, this would have meant a reversal in Lincoln Central which was not likely in those days, so your Tuxford, LD&EC, Lincoln route seems much more likely.

Really captures the look and feel of Mickleover, Kevin

Very well done.

I assume Mickleover Tunnel is used as the scenic break at one end of the layout. What did you use at the other end?

Hi Peter, in real life, the line westwards passed under the occupation bridge that can been seen on the layout, then ran dead straight out of the cutting, across the fields to Etwall. This obviously posed a problem, as I needed to turn the tracks through 180 degrees to get to the fiddle yard. So I increased the depth of the cutting on the other side of the bridge, and took the track through the backscene, hiding the exit with over hanging trees on both cutting sides. From normal viewing angles, the exit is all but invisible. I will take some photos later and post them.

Again, many thanks for all the kind comments, I don't usually model in N anymore due to needing reading glasses, so I am very pleased with the results and the comments generated.

Kevin.

• Like 1

Excellent work so far. What amazes me is how the layout went from pizza boxes to a railway running through green embankments within about 3 days.

On the subject of a trip to Cleethorpes, there do not seem to be many excursions from Derby in the Cleethorpes specials notes that I have access to. There was one on 31st May 1959 with Crab 42829 on the front, so it may have come from Midland station.

No, no. You misunderstand. Although I think your reasoning is later correct.

I think the reply meant Nottingham Barkston E Junc, Honington, Lincoln.

However, this would have meant a reversal in Lincoln Central which was not likely in those days, so your Tuxford, LD&EC, Lincoln route seems much more likely.

Right. I see what you mean (now!).

On the subject of a trip to Cleethorpes, there do not seem to be many excursions from Derby in the Cleethorpes specials notes that I have access to. There was one on 31st May 1959 with Crab 42829 on the front, so it may have come from Midland station.

The trip was definitely from Friargate which was about a 15-20 minute walk from home

Hi, Mark Higginson's book lists excursions from Derby Friargate to Boston, Skegness,Mablethorpe, Sutton on the Sea, and Cleethorpes eastbound, and Alton Towers, Ashbourne, Tissington, Uttoxeter, Dudley Zoo, Chester, Rhyll,Blackpool and Windermere westbound.

The layout has gone from the bare boards with the track layed, which I did earlier in the year, to fully scenic treatment in 5 weeks. I suppose I am a bit mad.

Here are the photos of the exits to the fiddle yards, this is the west end where the exit is hidden by much foliage.Here it is from the inside.Another angle of the west exit.The east end exit, is via Mickleover tunnel, And from the inside.

Looking west along the track towards the fiddleyard exit.

I need to weather the ballast down with the airbrush and some thin brown paint.That will be next week now.

Kevin.

DSCF0053.JPG

DSCF0056.JPG

DSCF0058.JPG

DSCF0062.JPG

DSCF0064.JPG

Edited by kes
  • Like 7

Right. I see what you mean (now!).

The trip was definitely from Friargate which was about a 15-20 minute walk from home

I don't suppose that you know the year?

If so, I could try looking it up.

I don't suppose that you know the year?  If so, I could try looking it up.

A long time ago! Sorry but 'late 1950s' is as near as I can get.

Apologies to kes if this is causing any distraction from the main thread.

Edit - afterthought. As it was just myself and my mother who made the trip, I guess my sister had started work by then so 1958 or '59 but just possibly 1960.

Edited by Poor Old Bruce

I too hope it is not a distraction, but like to think of it as some light entertainment before we are treated to the next excellent photo showing the newly weathered track.

There was one to Cleethorpes on Monday July 27th 1959 from Derby. The loco was 61188, one of Colwick's seaside regulars.

Another ran on Thursday Aug 6th behind 61982 also of Colwick.

Those are the only two that I can find for 1959 which seem likely to have originated at Friargate.

It is fascinating reading all these reminiscenses of excursion trips. Friargate had closed to passengers when I was a young child, and I used to shelter from the rain under Friargate bridge, listening to the freight trains rumbling over the top. It is in no way a distraction to my posting. Keep it coming.

Kev

There was one to Cleethorpes on Monday July 27th 1959 from Derby. The loco was 61188, one of Colwick's seaside regulars.

Another ran on Thursday Aug 6th behind 61982 also of Colwick.

I doubt it was a Monday as that was wash day. Thursday sounds good though. Where do you manage to get the info from Jonny?

Hi Kevin

My mother, a lifelong Derby resident, remembers travelling from Derby Friargate to Great Yarmouth sometime in the mid-late 1950s.

The stock was possibly non-corridor but it definitely didn't have toilets.

They were known as "kidney bean specials", the name apparently coming from the practice of taking your own vegetables with you for the landlady to cook with your evening meal!

Incidentally, my great aunt and uncle George & Emily Snow lived on Sims Avenue I believe.

I know Mickleover very well, and you've really captured it with your layout.

Regards

Phil

I doubt it was a Monday as that was wash day. Thursday sounds good though. Where do you manage to get the info from Jonny?

Its just from some pages of notes that I have for that period.

Hi Kevin

My mother, a lifelong Derby resident, remembers travelling from Derby Friargate to Great Yarmouth sometime in the mid-late 1950s.

The stock was possibly non-corridor but it definitely didn't have toilets.

They were known as "kidney bean specials", the name apparently coming from the practice of taking your own vegetables with you for the landlady to cook with your evening meal!

Incidentally, my great aunt and uncle George & Emily Snow lived on Sims Avenue I believe.

I know Mickleover very well, and you've really captured it with your layout.

Regards

Phil

Derby Friargate to Yarmouth mid 50s; I wonder if they would have run via the M&GN? That would have been quite a trip with no toilets, which is probably why we kids were always pressurised to go into the station lav just before our train was due.  Old habits die hard.

Derby Midland was the much more usual departure point for trains to Yarmouth, running either via Nottm, Melton and the MGNR or continuing down the Midland via P'boro East to gain ex GE metals.

Could've been done via Friargate, but rather a long way round (presumably via Sleaford and Spalding).

There is also a DVD with stills and film taken on a railtour in 1968 showing Friargate and Mickleover

Search youtube for - Derby station GNR The Last Train. Mickleover is around the 1:00 min mark, footage of the station and tunnel.

Cheers

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, sorry for the lack of updates recently, I have been away for a while, and now have visitors staying, so I should get back to work and posting next week.

Kevin.

I lived on Station Road from 1958 to 1977 so spent a lot of time by the track. You certainly have captured the feel of the station and yard.

Now for the real thing. These not very good photos (I was only in single figures at the time!!) were taken in the early 60s - probably 61 or 62 for the steam. D5188 was the only diesel to come to Mickleover prior to the RTC taking over and may have 'belonged ' to them as it came from Eggington Jct, changed ends at the station and left after about an hour towards Eggington Jct. That was probably in 63.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97290912@N05/sets/72157653599585310

Derby Midland was the much more usual departure point for trains to Yarmouth, running either via Nottm, Melton and the MGNR or continuing down the Midland via P'boro East to gain ex GE metals.

Could've been done via Friargate, but rather a long way round (presumably via Sleaford and Spalding).

Friargate, Basford North, round the back line to Colwick, then eastwards?

• 2 weeks later...

Taking the layout down and re erecting it in the garage today, so I can finish the behind-the-scenes areas, and attach the front curtains. This should also test out the new trestles I have built.  I will take some photos from the back later on.

Kevin.

Well the layout was re erected in the garage, and all works perfectly. I have weathered the track, scenery and buildings with a thinned coat of light brown, and dark grey sprayed over everything with my airbrush. This does a good job of blending everything together and hiding some of my "rough" modelling.

Here is the station building

A view along the empty yard

Station Yard

Signal Box and 8f for testing purposes

View from above the tunnel

The lighting is not as good in the garage, so please excuse the over exposure.  My wonderful wife, Maggie, has made a black curtain to go around he layout, so apart from making a big "MICKLEOVER (GN) " sign to go along the front, I may have well done.

dscf0006 (31).jpg

DSCF0009 (3).JPG

DSCF0010 (3).JPG

DSCF0011 (3).JPG

DSCF0013 (3).JPG

Edited by kes
replacing missing photos
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kevin

Just found that there was indeed a direct Friargate - Yarmouth train.

Timings from the Summer 1953 timetable. It ran SO 20th June - 5th Sept:

Friargate dep 6.30am

West Hallam 6.44

Ilkeston 6.52

Kimberley 7.00

Basford 7.08

Nottm Vic 7.21

Netherfield 7.31

Spalding 8.46

March 9.20

Brandon 10.08

Yarmouth Vaux arr 11.50