RMweb

kes

Don't forget that Mickleover(GN) is appearing at the Whitby and District Model Railway Club show at Goathland Village Hall this weekend along with 6-7 other layouts, refreshments, free parking, and all for £1.  Opening time 10.30am Sat and Sun 18/19th July.2015 Poster(1).pdf

The layout survived "trial by exhibition" over the 2 days of the Whitby Show. It was very well received and we kept a procession of prototypical coal/empty/oil/steel trains circulating, with occassional milk and paper trains. One milk train consisting of one milk tanker was sent round, then another tank added behind the scenes, and the scenario repeated 5 times much to the consternation of one old gent who could not understand where the train was picking up more tankers! I had a couple of requests for info from other show organisers so we may be on the road next year.

mickleover plan2.jpg

IMG_20160214_085822.jpg

IMG_20160214_090113.jpg

Edited by kes
replacing missing photos
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Don't know why I have missed this one so far - it looks like another N Gauge gem. I like the way you have used the space effectively to create a sense of the railway in the landscape. I hope to see it in the flesh one day.

By the way, would you be able to post a track plan?

Thanks

Neil

• 1 month later...
On 20/07/2015 at 10:53, NWJ said:

Don't know why I have missed this one so far - it looks like another N Gauge gem. I like the way you have used the space effectively to create a sense of the railway in the landscape. I hope to see it in the flesh one day.

By the way, would you be able to post a track plan?

Thanks

Neil

Hi Neil, I have a rough drawn plan which I have posted here.

layout0001.jpg

Edited by kes
replacing missing photos

• 4 months later...

Today I will be assembling Mickleover in the living room so as to give my wife a "driving lesson" and to correct anything which might have happened during the last few months in storage. I will also be making a lighting rig using high power LED strip. I will post details and photos as I go along. All this is in preparation for the BRM Doncaster show in Feb, where the layout will be appearing.

Well, we got Mickleover out of the shed, removed the ply covers and assembled it in the living room. This was the first time since last July that it had been assembled. Everything worked and all the tracks lined up correctly. All we had to do was to evict a few spiders. I then cut two lengths of 31mm x 22mm timber to form the vertical supports for the lighting rig. These had two 300mm lengths of aluminium curtain rail set into holes at the top. The case for the lighting is going to be the shell of an old venician blind. This will have the LED strip glued to the inside.

DSCF0505.JPG

DSCF0506.JPG

DSCF0507.JPG

DSCF0508.JPG

Edited by kes
replacing missing photos
  • Like 4

I have lowered the lighting boom by 9" and installed 5m of led strip lights inside it. These are self adhesive and stuck in as three lines of leds. They are powered by a 2amp 12v dc power supply, and the whole lot works quite well. Colour not bad - make sure you use WARM WHITE LEDs.

I now have to weather the remaining stock and loco's before Doncaster in Feb. The wife now knows how to drive it, so I can put the layout away again today, and we get our living room back again.

DSCF0509.JPG

DSCF0510.JPG

Edited by kes
replacing missing photos
  • Like 4

Kevin, make sure the lights aren't shining in your face, after an hour or so operating you'll be wanting to switch them off.

Thanks for the advice - I'll make sure they are set slightly lower. See you Wed night, Kev.

• 3 weeks later...

Lovely stuff. How long is the scenic section, between the overbridges at each end of the station and is the station building scratchbuilt?

cheers

Shane

Hi Shane, the scenic section is about 10' long. The station building is semi scratch built using parts of the Metcalfe kit, and their matching brick sheet.

I haven't Kev. I planning to do the station area during its test track days and would like to find some pics of the platform area during this period. I have scoured all the usual sources, Flickr, Facebook, Dave Coxons Website. Pics of the station building would be useful though.

Cheers

Shane

Well, we survived 2 days of trial by exhibition at Doncaster with no casualties, and two more exhibition invites.  Thanks are due to my Brother-in-law, Peter, who came across on Saturday to help operations, and to my wife, Maggie, who operated both days full time. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and made several new friends.

Peter and Maggie operating and eating cake on Saturday.

The view from the audience.

A suitable load for an Austerity - 32 wagons!

DSCF0531.JPG

DSCF0533.JPG

DSCF0536.JPG

DSCF0539.JPG

Edited by kes
reloading missing photos
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Well, we survived 2 days of trial by exhibition at Doncaster with no casualties, and two more exhibition invites.  Thanks are due to my Brother-in-law, Peter, who came across on Saturday to help operations, and to my wife, Maggie, who operated both days full time. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and made several new friends.

attachicon.gifDSCF0531.JPG

Peter and Maggie operating and eating cake on Saturday.

attachicon.gifDSCF0533.JPG

The view from the audience.

attachicon.gifDSCF0539.JPG

A suitable load for an Austerity - 32 wagons!

Told you you'd enjoy it.

I was your narrow gauge neighbour on Saturday. I really enjoyed Mickleover - always good to see an GNR railway being modelled.

I am glad you enjoyed it. It was nice to see your youngsters getting involved with your railway. We need the next generation to get interested.

I am awaiting a further delivery of LED strip, to change those I was using to a "warmer" shade of white. The ones I were using are a little too "blue".  Roll on Cleethorpes in May.  I have just ordered a Langley Models GCR L1 kit -  a 2-6-4t precursor to the Thompson L1. I intend modifying this to an A5 4-6-2t. I will post details as it happens.