kes

We have just returned from a very enjoyable weekend exhibiting at the Holmfirth Show. The layout behaved itself and it generated much interest. One gentleman came up to us and after a while said " I used to live just on the other side of the line by that farmers bridge and we used to watch the 9F's thundering by" - wonderful!

Much better levels of illumination now. 

The layout is now boxed back up ready for the next outing.

IMG_20160214_085822.jpg

IMG_20160214_090113.jpg

IMG_20160214_090200.jpg

IMG_20160214_090218.jpg

Edited by kes
  • Like 4

• 4 months later...

I have just dusted off the layout ready for the next outing to Derby in May. I have been unable to transport the layout in the car because the four boards, plus five sets of trestle legs took up too much space. When I got the layout out I realised that the coffin board covers are 40 inches long - the same length as the legs. So a bit of beefing up with a length of 2x1 and a couple of diagonal braces now means I only need one trestle, and the whole lot should fit in the car.

DSCF1532.JPG

DSCF1533.JPG

DSCF1534.JPG

Edited by kes
missing photos
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Yippee! It all fits in the car, the tailgate shuts, and there is still room for the driver, navigator and a change of clothes!

Kev.

Oh good - looking forward to seeing this layout at our show at The Roundhouse - after all our Mickleover clubrooms are only about a mile down Station Road from the area you have modelled - and which many of our members know so well.

Mike and the rest of MMRG

Edited by Mike Bellamy

Oh good - looking forward to seeing this layout at our show at The Roundhouse - after all our Mickleover clubrooms are only about a mile down Station Road from the area you have modelled - and which many of our members know so well.

Mike and the rest of MMRG

See you there - and the expenses will be less now we don't have to hire a van!  Kev.

• 2 months later...

We had a fabulous exhibition at Derby care of the Mickleover Model Railway Club. Maggie and I were kept busy continuously with questions from the public about the layout, and we talked to drivers/firemen/guards on the last passenger trains, the last good trains, the specials hauled by 4F/J11/DMU, staff who worked on the test track, and the sons and grandsons of the station masters at Mickleover and Etwall! I think we managed to get 30 mins free between both of us in two whole days. A very tiring but very enjoyable experience. The layout worked faultlessly and we were complimented on the overall appearance of the layout, the presentation and lighting, and the correct trains and loco classes running.

Time to recover!

Kev.

Edited by kes
edit
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Kev

Very many thanks for bringing Mickleover to the Mickleover Club Show. Amazing that you got to meet all those people who had some sort of connection with the real Mickleover.

Mike - on behalf of Mickleover Model Railway Group

• 2 years later...

Mickleover will be out and about at the Whitby show at Goathland on the 18/19th July 2020. We are looking forward to running some long trains again. Cancelled due to covid.

Edited by kes
covid
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

It's been a long time since I posted anything about the layout as I have been building many others. Mickleover will be at the Whitby and District Model Railway Show at Goathland Village Hall, on Sat/Sun 23/24 July. Show opens 10am, and only costs £2. There will be refreshments and toilets available. It should also be featured in Model Rail in the issue available from the 17th March. It's going to be a busy year with 4 exhibition layouts on the go!

• RMweb Premium

Kev - pleased to see that the layout is still going out to shows - by coincidence my wife and I went for a walk only yesterday along the trackbed from the station towards Etwall. There's a great deal of new development going on at the moment and many more houses being built around the station and surrounding area. As well as Hackwood Farm to the north, the three fields to the east (over the road from the station) are now being built on as well. We had a job getting onto Station Road as the temporary traffic lights were both stuck on green so it was a bit chaotic with drivers moving cones so they could get past!!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.919814,-1.5530168,1133m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Hi Mike, when we lived in Mackworth, we could walk up there in 20 minutes and not pass a single car, let alone see any buildings other than the water tower and the Great Northern hotel. Up here in Whitby they are gradually increasing developments around the old Whitby to Scarborough line. I hope to see you around at one of the shows in the future. Kev.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Mickleover is going to be at the Whitby model rail show at Goathland on the 23/24 July. As soon as the new conservatory is finished in the next three days, it will be put up in the garage to remove the spiders and do any repairs.

DSCF1041.JPG

DSCF0539.JPG

• Like 11

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mickleover now has point rodding made from thin steel wire glued to cut down staples inserted into holes drilled in the board. It even raised comments at the recent TINGS exhibition, where the layout performed perfectly for the whole exhibition! It will be out again at the EBOR York show in Feb 2023, and we may have another invite in Scotland in June. Watch this space!

IMG_20220910_164553909.jpg

IMG_20220910_164538983.jpg

IMG_20220910_164703038.jpg

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

Mickleover had a great weekend at the EBOR show over the weekend of the 18/19th Feb. It worked perfectly all weekend, and my new creations - the B17 with Union Mills Tender, and a D49 on a Farish Compound chassis behaved themselves! And we won the Richard J Dring Memorial Trophy for the best layout as voted for by members of the EBOR club. Many thanks guys. The next outing for this layout should be at Locomotion 7/8th October.

IMG_20230219_113406087.jpg

IMG_20221004_105921.jpg

• Like 9

• 7 months later...

Mickleover will be out and about at the 36th Autumn Exhibition at Locomotion, Shildon, on Sat/Sun 7/8th October, from 10- 5 each day. There is free entry, and free parking, so come and look at everything from T gauge through to the 12" scale real thing.

• Like 2

The Shildon exhibition was a great success, many thanks are due to the organising club. We were located in front of Winston Churchill and alongside the NER snow plough. The layout worked perfectly all weekend, and we met people with relatives who lived alongside the old line. The only fatality was the 3MT which just stopped working. Opening it up when we got home, showed all 6 pickups had moved away from the wheels at the same time!  I think this was one of the most complicated locos I have dismantled in order to properly curve the pickup strips, but it now works fine. It has run several real miles over the last 10 years.

IMG_20231006_163822827.jpg

IMG_20231006_163731891.jpg

• Like 10

On 12/10/2023 at 08:31, Mike Bellamy said:

By coincidence, it was the Mickleover Exhibition last weekend as well - over 500 visitors to our clubroom and the Community Centre which was the old Victorian School on the main road through the village.

Glad you had a good exhibition Mike.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mickleover is due to appear at the York show at Easter 2024.

IMPORTANT NEWS:-  DUE TO AN ADMINISTRATIVE ERROR - NOT OF MY MAKING - MICKLEOVER WILL NOT BE AT YORK IN 2024

Edited by kes
Show organiser error.
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

As per my previous edited post Mickleover will NOT be at The York Show Easter 2024. This is due to an admin error which was not of my making, and I have only just found out. To anyone who was hoping to see Mickleover at this show I can only apologise.  It will be out and about again in the future.

Kevin.

Edited by kes
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1