Tiny inglenook - setting?

puffernutter

Further to my previous post, I decided to bite the bullet and start laying track - I've worked out that with a sector plate headshunt I can fit a 3-2-2 inglenook into 3'6 x 8" with a bit of space all around. I think the best way to truncate the tracks to put some plausibility into me shunting 2-cars at a time would be halves of vans stuck to the skyboard. My original thought was to have it be the back end of a larger freight yard, like so:

th_em_idea.jpg

I like this, but I wanted to pool the great opinions here and see what else we could come up with!

Another thought I had would be modelling the inside of a depot, with wooden plank platforms, dirt rather than ballast, etc. with hanging rafters and whatnot. What else can we brainstorm for my micro inglenook setting?

Era-wise I'm still looking at the mid 70's at the moment.

Cheers!

Bought a Heljan blue 33 (£42 from Hattons) and some kits so my era is now cemented.

I think that a blue brick-lined cutting would make most sense, like the warren of tracks and bridges on ground-level between London Bridge and New Cross. Skewed girder bridge covering the exit, and a small depot platform in a corner of Bricklayers Arms.

Any other ideas? :)

That's a great idea, but I think it's more suited to the US with their predominance of LCL freight.

Anyway, it looks like I've painted myself into a corner enough that no setting other than a semi-urban freight yard makes sense - not that that's a particularly bad thing!

I'm seeing a goods shed with a closed door blocking the near turnout spur, and the half-van on the far side.

That's a great idea, but I think it's more suited to the US with their predominance of LCL freight.

Anyway, it looks like I've painted myself into a corner enough that no setting other than a semi-urban freight yard makes sense - not that that's a particularly bad thing!

I'm seeing a goods shed with a closed door blocking the near turnout spur, and the half-van on the far side.

Boot Lane Goods simply has one of the sidings going off the other end through a shed with closeable doors. If I've got space I can plug a second fiddle track on that and add/remove wagon loads. If not the doors can be shut. I got the idea from a layout on carendt.us where one of the sidings ended going under a set of security gates. You can imagine the same for example outside an MOD base with a small unloading area and secure access are beyond that isn't usually used (until you build the extension/second fiddle)

(or how about the Bluebell railway tip clearance project ... you can end with a pile of landfill and an excavator)

Alan

Archived