Alstom point machine

Hi all,

I'm planning some track detailing at the moment and I'm looking at fitting cosmetic point machines to Whitemarsh Yard as part of this. My prototype inspiration is the rebuilt Whitemoor yard, and pictures show what I think are GEC/Alstom (HW 2000?) point machines on some of the points, as far as I can tell they're fitted to any which are on the main route in and out of the yard, the rest being operated by hand levers. Conveniently, this appears to be the type Peco have based their PL-47 on so I've bought a packet. Quite nice they are too, though lacking the raised ALSTOM lettering I've seen in some pics.

There's a single slip on my layout, which I'm intending to rig with machine(s). Do I just have one for each set of moving points, or would they be operated with one machine and some kind of mechanical linkage?

oo-sketch.jpg

For context, the plan is as above. The upper left route goes to the (offstage) yard, middle left route goes to the (offstage) junction with main line, and the upper right route goes nowhere at the moment. I'm intending to fit point machines to the single slip and the point at the upper right. If I get more space, both left hand routes will go to the main line as per the prototype and there'll be a load of yard sidings extending the RH end which would be a bit closer to the real thing.

Many thanks!

Will

• RMweb Gold

The normal arrangement on a slip is to have a point machine driving each end - and it has lomng been done that way. If you are using HWs that would be the correct arrangement although it was possible a long time ago to find ends used only in the trailing direction driven by rodding from the machine worked end although I can't recall offhand ever seeing any slips worked like that.

I'm sure you've done enough research to know which way round to install the Peco machines but if in any doubt I have some pics (ncluding part of a double slip as it happens).

Thanks Mike, that's really useful info.

I'm sure you've done enough research to know which way round to install the Peco machines

I hope so - cabling end with the "detection" rodding at the end of the point blades, and the drive rod nearer to the vee? I have a selection of photo reference to work from after trawling Fotopic, e.g. this one from Mark Bristow and this handy closeup by Dave Kirwin. Looking at these I'm even more impressed with the Peco offering, it should look really nice painted up and wired in. The first job is to extend the crossing timbers though.

Cheers,

Will

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike, that's really useful info.

[/size][/color][/size][/font][/size][/font][/color]

I hope so - cabling end with the "detection" rodding at the end of the point blades, and the drive rod nearer to the vee? I have a selection of photo reference to work from after trawling Fotopic, e.g. this one from Mark Bristow and this handy closeup by Dave Kirwin. Looking at these I'm even more impressed with the Peco offering, it should look really nice painted up and wired in. The first job is to extend the crossing timbers though.

Cheers,

Will

Spot on and good to hear that you're going to include the extended timbers - should look really good.

Archived